what band can you make an expert mix tape for?

Started by sweatboard, Nov 19, 2012, 08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon T.

Quote from: MrWhippy on Nov 24, 2012, 07:35 AM
Tool

1.  Stinkfist
2.  Prison Sex
3.  The Grudge
4.  Forty Six and Two
5.  Ticks and Leeches
6.  Opiate
7.  Flood
8.  Third Eye
9.  The Pot
10.  4 Degrees
11.  Lateralus
12.  Vicarious
13.  Aenima

You can't make an expert Tool mix without Eulogy!  Good list though.

Crispy

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
i feel ya, man! and i love the hazards of love, too...live they were the most boring concert ever....but love their albums..

Wha? Did you see them play The Hazards of Love live? That was a great show!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Penny Lane

Quote from: Crispy on Nov 30, 2012, 01:18 PM
i feel ya, man! and i love the hazards of love, too...live they were the most boring concert ever....but love their albums..

i saw them do their 3 night run at the Beacon (or was it 5?) they kicked off the tour for the last album ...a couple years ago? not sure if you mean the song or the album live...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Crispy

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 30, 2012, 01:41 PM

i saw them do their 3 night run at the Beacon (or was it 5?) they kicked off the tour for the last album ...a couple years ago? not sure if you mean the song or the album live...
Hmm, I guess that would have been for The King Is Dead, eh? What I was referring to was the tour for The Hazards of Love (2009, I think), in which they played the entire album for the first set, with Becky Stark and Shara Worden, then played other stuff in a second set. I saw that in Tulsa and I loved it. Stark and Worden joined again for the encore, where they sang Crazy on You.

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

exist10z

Quote from: Crispy on Nov 30, 2012, 01:54 PM

Hmm, I guess that would have been for The King Is Dead, eh? What I was referring to was the tour for The Hazards of Love (2009, I think), in which they played the entire album for the first set, with Becky Stark and Shara Worden, then played other stuff in a second set. I saw that in Tulsa and I loved it. Stark and Worden joined again for the encore, where they sang Crazy on You.

Wish I had seen it live.  The Hazards of Love was so under-rated in my opinion.  If my memory serves, the reviews were mediocre at best and they got a lot of shit about the concept, if not the execution.  I think it's an amazing piece of work as a whole, and is easily my favorite album of theirs.  They may have made better individual songs, but straight through that album was great, and the cohesion/concept didn't detract, but enhanced the individual pieces.  Whatever, I am going to go listen to it right now, haven't heard it in over a year.  Thanks for the reminder. :evil:

Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

FiddleCastro

God, I could do so many. I will probably start listing them soon, but these are the bands I know I could do it for: The Who, The Clash, Clutch, Elton John, etc. I'll post em eventually!
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

FiddleCastro

Yeah, those Beacon shows kinda sucked... Saw them at Bonnaroo a few months later and they were great... and my friend saw them in 2009 and said they were one of the best shows he's ever seen.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

iLikeBeer

Hey Crispy, I'm a fan of the Decemberists!  :beer:  Nice mix too!   :thumbsup:

sweatboard

Has anyone listened to my superdrag mix?  It rules!!!
There's Still Time.........

Crispy

Quote from: sweatboard on Dec 01, 2012, 12:41 AM

I'm too busy listening to my RUSH mix.  :bath:

sweatboard

totally understandable....check out superdrag when you can.  I Love them so much!

sweatboard

Shug

Quote from: Shug on Nov 29, 2012, 05:00 PM
Bob Dylan

Not Dark Yet
Jokerman
Shelter From The Storm
Where Are You Tonight?
Idiot Wind
Just Like Tom Thumb Blues
Mr. Tambourine Man
Visions Of Johanna
I Threw It All Away (live from Hard Rain)
The Man In Me
I Believe In You
Every Grain Of Sand
Tomorrow Is A Long Time

I'm kinda surprised no Dylan fans here have jumped on this bandwagon with me. When I did this list, I just did it in my head.  I listened to it last night and I was way into it! Dylan is a fucking genius.  Not a news flash, I know, but these songs in this sequence kinda blew me away all over again.  It took me back to being 16 and feeling that thrill and wonder of discovery when listening to songs like Mr. Tambourine Man for the first hundred times. Dylan's music took me by force at that age when I was mostly listening to Zeppelin, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, and the more radio friendly 60s and 70s rock.  It was reading about Dylan in all the books and then hearing The Byrds cover his songs that opened the doors to Dylan for me. When I "got it", I got it HARD.  So many great songs he's written over the years.  Where Are You Tonight? is a relatively under-recognized masterpiece.   Check this shit out, people!  How about the layers and layers of verses spat with an increasing sense of urgency until it explodes into a sweet guitar solo.  Not a great recording, but its on Street Legal, 1978.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vk_QTz2smI
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

pawpaw

Quote from: Shug on Dec 06, 2012, 12:26 PM
Bob Dylan

Not Dark Yet
Jokerman
Shelter From The Storm
Where Are You Tonight?
Idiot Wind
Mr. Tambourine Man
Visions Of Johanna
The Man In Me
I Believe In You
Every Grain Of Sand
Tomorrow Is A Long Time

I'm kinda surprised no Dylan fans here have jumped on this bandwagon with me. When I did this list, I just did it in my head.  I listened to it last night and I was way into it! Dylan is a fucking genius.  Not a news flash, I know, but these songs in this sequence kinda blew me away all over again.  It took me back to being 16 and feeling that thrill and wonder of discovery when listening to songs like Mr. Tambourine Man for the first hundred times. Dylan's music took me by force at that age when I was mostly listening to Zeppelin, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, and the more radio friendly 60s and 70s rock.  It was reading about Dylan in all the books and then hearing The Byrds cover his songs that opened the doors to Dylan for me. When I "got it", I got it HARD.  So many great songs he's written over the years.  Where Are You Tonight? is a relatively under-recognized masterpiece.   Check this shit out, people!  How about the layers and layers of verses spat with an increasing sense of urgency until it explodes into a sweet guitar solo.  Not a great recording, but its on Street Legal, 1978.

Dude, I'm way into it! That's a great Dylan mix!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Crispy on Dec 01, 2012, 12:58 AM

Man, if you loved my Rush mix, and I am sure you do/did/was/were/am/are what I am willing to do is sort of like a year long immersion into Rush where I will keep a journal of my everyday "Rush" moments and my reflections as to which songs would fit into these situations, probably a list of 1-5 and I figure I have 7-8 of these a day,so, something like a variation of up to 40 Rush songs and I could also mix 'n match them you know, like having #1 from the first moment and #2 from the second, etc.... or like #3 from 1 and 5 from 2 and 2 from 3, and so forth and what not and such as, so we're looking at something like 35 possible lists a day or 40, I can't do crazy math like that, but I would be willing to burn CD's for you and like I said, for a year, be like 14,622 CD's I could mail you come January 1st 2014 and then you could listen to them and tell me which ones are your favorites or not so much, wondering how much my mood would transpose on the conditionality of your own self formulating and regulating your own feelings ie emotions ie wonderings ie stirring about my Rush CD's like right now I feel a list coming on and I call it

Manic

1. YYZ
2. Didacts and Narpets
3. By-Tor and the Snow Dog
4. The Analog Kid
5. One Little Victory

lemme' know
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Crispy

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Dec 06, 2012, 12:44 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Dec 01, 2012, 12:58 AM

Man, if you loved my Rush mix, and I am sure you do/did/was/were/am/are what I am willing to do is sort of like a year long immersion into Rush where I will keep a journal of my everyday "Rush" moments and my reflections as to which songs would fit into these situations, probably a list of 1-5 and I figure I have 7-8 of these a day,so, something like a variation of up to 40 Rush songs and I could also mix 'n match them you know, like having #1 from the first moment and #2 from the second, etc.... or like #3 from 1 and 5 from 2 and 2 from 3, and so forth and what not and such as, so we're looking at something like 35 possible lists a day or 40, I can't do crazy math like that, but I would be willing to burn CD's for you and like I said, for a year, be like 14,622 CD's I could mail you come January 1st 2014 and then you could listen to them and tell me which ones are your favorites or not so much, wondering how much my mood would transpose on the conditionality of your own self formulating and regulating your own feelings ie emotions ie wonderings ie stirring about my Rush CD's like right now I feel a list coming on and I call it

Manic

1. YYZ
2. Didacts and Narpets
3. By-Tor and the Snow Dog
4. The Analog Kid
5. One Little Victory

lemme' know

Yes, please!

/anticipating listening to nothing but Rush for the rest of my life/

Here's my favorite Rush mix, which is sort-of chronological and Exit Stage Left-heavy, no surprise:

1. Working Man
2. 2112
3. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres
4. Jacob's Ladder (Exit Stage Left)
5. Broon's Bane (Exit Stage Left)
6. The Trees (Exit Stage Left)
7. Xanadu (Exit Stage Left - thus ending the best side of a record ever)
8. Circumstances
9. Red Barchetta
10. Limelight
11. The Camera Eye
12. Subdivisions
13. The Analog Kid
14. New World Man
15. La Villa Strangiato (Exit Stage Left) (for good measure)

Shug

Led Zeppelin

exist10z

1. Black Dog (IV)
2. In The Evening (ITTOD)
3. Ten Years Gone (PG)
4. Bring It On Home (II)
5. Over The Hills And Far Away (HOTH)
6. The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair (BBC Sessions)
7. When The Levee Breaks (IV)
8. Ramble On (II)
9. How Many More Times (I)
10. That's The Way (III)
11. In The Light (PG)
12. Since I've Been Loving You (III)
13. No Quarter (HOTH)

Volume II, no repeats

Celebration Day
We're Gonna Groove (live Albert Hall 1970)
Good Times Bad Times
I Can't Quit You Baby
Misty Mountain Hop
The Rover
Four Sticks
The Ocean
Tangerine
You're Time Is Gonna Come
Nobody's Fault But Mine
Caroselambra
Thank You

Shug

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Nov 21, 2012, 02:46 AM
Pink Floyd, my first true love:

Echoes
Breathe
Us and Them
Mother
Green Is The Colour
Fat Old Sun
Have a Cigar
Dogs
In the Flesh
Comfortably Numb
Shine On (I - V)
Brain Damage
Eclipse

My Morning Jacket, my second true love: (I avoided any covers due to the limited amount of songs, and I made the most mind-blowing 13 song set I could dream up)

The Dark
Lay Low
Anytime
O Is The One That Is Real
Xmas Curtain
I Will Sing You Songs
I Think I'm Going To Hell
Strangulation
Run Thru
Smokin' From Shootin'
Dondante
Steam Engine
Phone When West

That is a great, epic MMJ mix!  :thumbsup:

I always have a hard time making Floyd mixes, because I always feel the songs belong next to one another the way they came on the LPs!  Nothing from Obscured By Clouds?  I know its ...obscure..., but I love that record so much.

exist10z

Bob Dylan

Not Dark Yet
Jokerman
Shelter From The Storm
Where Are You Tonight?
Idiot Wind
Mr. Tambourine Man
Visions Of Johanna
The Man In Me
I Believe In You
Every Grain Of Sand
Tomorrow Is A Long Time

I'll take a shot at Dylan 2.0, even though you already stole Idiot Wind and Visions of Johanna. :wink:

Most Likely You'll Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
Isis
Lay, Lady, Lay
One Of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)
The Times They Are A Changin'
Positively 4th Street
Joey
Fourth Time Around
Queen Jane Approximate
As I Went Out One Morning
Hurricane
Simple Twist of Fate
Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

Bonus track: Ballad of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest :evil:

That was hard.

When I was younger, and a retro-pseudo-hippy, I never got into Dylan, didn't think I liked his voice.  I too was into plenty of semi-crappy 70s rock at that point, along with plenty of great stuff - Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix, CSN&Y, etc., but Dylan just never figured into the mix.  It was kinda the same with the Beatles and Stones, but they were a bit more on my radar.  I guess it wasn't until my early thirties that I really started developing an appreciation for Dylan (or the Beatles and Stones frankly).  Glad I did, I feel like my musical life wouldn't be complete without him.

Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

MamaKel

Masters of War
Hard Rains A Gonna Fall
Tomorrow Is A Long Time
Love Minus Zero
It's Alright Ma
Visions of Johanna
Sad Eyed Lady
Girl From The North Country (w/Johnny Cash)
Man In Me
Shelter From The Storm
Buckets of Rain
You're A Big Girl Now
Percy's Song

There are so many on yours that I totally agree with, but had to leave off...along with Dear Landlord, Oh, Sister, Every Grain of Sand...and a million more. So I guess this is what I would put together given my current mood

Quote from: exist10z on Dec 06, 2012, 04:45 PM
Bob Dylan

Not Dark Yet
Jokerman
Shelter From The Storm
Where Are You Tonight?
Idiot Wind
Mr. Tambourine Man
Visions Of Johanna
The Man In Me
I Believe In You
Every Grain Of Sand
Tomorrow Is A Long Time

I'll take a shot at Dylan 2.0, even though you already stole Idiot Wind and Visions of Johanna. :wink:

Most Likely You'll Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
Isis
Lay, Lady, Lay
One Of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)
The Times They Are A Changin'
Positively 4th Street
Joey
Fourth Time Around
Queen Jane Approximate
As I Went Out One Morning
Hurricane
Simple Twist of Fate
Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

Bonus track: Ballad of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest :evil:

That was hard.

When I was younger, and a retro-pseudo-hippy, I never got into Dylan, didn't think I liked his voice.  I too was into plenty of semi-crappy 70s rock at that point, along with plenty of great stuff - Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix, CSN&Y, etc., but Dylan just never figured into the mix.  It was kinda the same with the Beatles and Stones, but they were a bit more on my radar.  I guess it wasn't until my early thirties that I really started developing an appreciation for Dylan (or the Beatles and Stones frankly).  Glad I did, I feel like my musical life wouldn't be complete without him.