Main Menu

RIP John

Started by ericm, Dec 08, 2011, 05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericm

Dec.8th,1980.

One of those "where were you when" moments in a life. Hard to believe it's been 31 years since we had John Lennon taken from this world at an all too young age.

For me, I was at a Bruce Springsteen concert at The Spectrum in Philly. An amazing show,and I even got a nice little treat from The Big Man as he was leaving the stage.

Walked out to the car riding an incredible high, expecting to hear the usual post show wrap up on WMMR, only to find an earily quiet parking lot. We get in the car and every station we tune to is simulcasting from outside The Dakota. None of us knew what had happened, and couldn't figure out what was going on. It wasn't until about 20 minutes into our ride home that WMMR DJ Pierre Robert cut in and announced the tragic news, and told us what we were listening to. Stunned and shocked would be an understatement. I don't think I've ever gone from such a high, being so amped, and happy after a show, to being so low and heartbroken, in a matter of minutes.

The only thing that really helped me to deal that night was I was fortunate to be with three really good friends who were feeling the same as me.

Every year on this date I'm pulled back in time to that show and ride home. December 8th, 1980...forever etched in my memory, as well as in the memory of millions of others I'm sure.

Anyone else have a story to share?
"Where's Jim going?"

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

Well I wasn't even an idea yet. However, I love John (probably more than the beatles together). Chris Cornell is known to cover imagine, and I am positive he will tonight when I see him.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

jaye

No interesting story but I'll never forget that night either.  Still breaks my heart.

Fully

My story isn't too interesting. I was in seventh grade and thought I had just discovered this amazing band - The Beatles. I remember hearing it in my room on my altogether. You remember those stereos everyone use to have that had the turntable, tuner, and cassette deck all in one? That's an altogether. Anyway...I went into the den and turned the tv on NBC and that's all that was on for the rest of the night.  I think that night I realized that everyone knew who this amazing band was and I was a little late to the game.

ericm

Keep em coming..... :thumbsup:

Just the fact that anyone also remembers "where they were when" makes it interesting. There's not too many moments in a life that can cause you to remember exactly where you were when......and John's murder is definitely one of those for me.
"Where's Jim going?"

Tracy 2112

11th grade, I just got home from playing church basketball and was pretty buzzed (we used to pound beers in the church bathroom before games) and heard it from Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football. The next night I went to a vigil and we got good and baked and all sat around with a couple of 100 people singing Beatles and John Lennon songs. I recall someone had put a candle on the top of the blue lights (the lights weren't on) of a police car and the wax was dripping all over the lights and roof of the car and people were leaned over talking to the cops the whole night. pretty surreal..

John Lennon shot 12-8-80 Howard Cosell tells the world twice John Lennon was dead.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Fully

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Dec 08, 2011, 08:03 PM
11th grade, I just got home from playing church basketball and was pretty buzzed (we used to pound beers in the church bathroom before games) and heard it from Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football. The next night I went to a vigil and we got good and baked and all sat around with a couple of 100 people singing Beatles and John Lennon songs. I recall someone had put a candle on the top of the blue lights (the lights weren't on) of a police car and the wax was dripping all over the lights and roof of the car and people were leaned over talking to the cops the whole night. pretty surreal..

John Lennon shot 12-8-80 Howard Cosell tells the world twice John Lennon was dead.

That sounds like an amazing night, Tracy.

headhunter

I was a senior in high school and was with my first real girlfriend that night.

Working in NY and spending a decent amount of time every year in central park, I pass by The Dakota fairly often and never fail to think of John when I do.  Every time I visit the mosaic "imagine" on that beautiful part of the park by where he lived, it is an emotional experience.

Thanks Eric for bringing this one up.  Think I'll spin some John tonight.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

woodnymph

Catching up in this thread...... <3 you John!

David Grisman Because
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ericm

Here's a link to the audio of the Springsteen show from the night after John's death. It was an incredible show that I had tix for, but was too bummed to go. The first few minutes are a must listen to Bruce's words. If only I had the same insight as him that night, I would've been there too.  "It's all you can do"!

Born To Run to open the show for one of the only times ever. I believe it's only opened a show one other time.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - PHILADELPHIA 1980 - FULL CONCERT +6 BONUS TRACKS

"Where's Jim going?"

sweatboard

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Dec 08, 2011, 08:03 PM

This is all  to hard to believe and understand...you played Basketball....In Church?
There's Still Time.........

EverythingChanges

The lyrics to imagine really are beautiful. 
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

sweatboard

sweatboard

If I was ever fourunate enough to make an album, the cover would be some candle wax dripping over some cop car's blue lights.

sweatboard

I would also....prevents external embedding

FiddleCastro

Spent the evening in Strawberry fields with a bunch of people (about 100) singing Beatles songs in the rain till 1am. Used to do this every year but didn't the last two.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh