Which songs fail to improve on stage?

Started by johnnYYac, Jan 04, 2013, 11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

Quote from: rincon2 on Jan 07, 2013, 10:48 AM
Quote from: Fully on Jan 06, 2013, 01:07 AM
You aren't the only person who likes Thank You Too or Look At You, but you may just be the only person who likes Sec Walkin'. :D
I am truly baffled by the dislike that is expressed for these songs. Throw in Two Halves to that group. If any one of these songs were on an old EP instead of an LP, I bet people would be treating them like some White Whale that they want to hear live. My ex used to listen to Ronnie Milsap. Sec Walkin  could easily be him. As far as Two Halves go, it is MMJ's contribution to Merseybeat, which was a building block of rock and roll.
I don't know; I can't explain why, but they just don't do it for me.

JDUB

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jan 06, 2013, 12:16 AM
I love Sec Walkin' personally.  I sometimes feel like I am the only person who loves Sec, Look At You, and Thank You Too.  :undecided:
I love all three. I don't think I have heard Look at You live that wasn't Jim James solo. I'd like to hear the entire band play it. So Look at You is my vote. Love the subtle sounds that Bo makes with his keyboards.

63schoefflin

I think Victory Dance is a great opener...maybe because the first time I saw them I literally knew One Big Holiday and that's it. Having VD as an opener got me real into it right off the bat. I guess it depends if you prefer the slower openings or faster ones. Always great to mix it up.

justbcuzido

Quote from: rincon2 on Jan 07, 2013, 10:48 AM
Quote from: Fully on Jan 06, 2013, 01:07 AM
You aren't the only person who likes Thank You Too or Look At You, but you may just be the only person who likes Sec Walkin'. :D
I am truly baffled by the dislike that is expressed for these songs. Throw in Two Halves to that group. If any one of these songs were on an old EP instead of an LP, I bet people would be treating them like some White Whale that they want to hear live. My ex used to listen to Ronnie Milsap. Sec Walkin  could easily be him. As far as Two Halves go, it is MMJ's contribution to Merseybeat, which was a building block of rock and roll.

Everything you said! I love all of these songs, seeing Jim do "Look at You" solo really sold me on that song as well. One of my top MMJ songs is "Thank You Too". I think that song does get love around here (still not enough for my liking). I wish they would play it more. To me it is probably their most straight forward/positive love song they have done. I usually do go for the more complex/dark/sad love songs (Hopefully) but I absolutely love this song for whatever reason. Just pure love expressed in such a beautiful way.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

rincon2

Quote from: JDUB on Jan 07, 2013, 09:27 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jan 06, 2013, 12:16 AM
I love Sec Walkin' personally.  I sometimes feel like I am the only person who loves Sec, Look At You, and Thank You Too.  :undecided:
I love all three. I don't think I have heard Look at You live that wasn't Jim James solo. I'd like to hear the entire band play it. So Look at You is my vote. Love the subtle sounds that Bo makes with his keyboards.
That comment is why Bo is a tremendous component to a band that on paper, does not even need a keyboard player.