Which songs fail to improve on stage?

Started by johnnYYac, Jan 04, 2013, 11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Not a favorite song, but Into The Woods is better on Z than live, from my one experience.

Next?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Shug

Librarian.  I just don't like that song, even live.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

parkervb

this could a pretty short thread. 

my best answer would also be Librarian and I like that track.  I just haven't seen it played in a set in a spot where I thought it fit well.  It always seems forced in. 
Don't you ever turn it off

itrainmonkeys

I'm in the minority but I like Librarian (on record and live). Certainly not the best MMJ song live but I enjoy when Jim belts out the bolded part "If everybody gave, like everybody could".

I haven't seen it too much but maybe Sec' Walking? Anyone have a good version of that to turn me around? I love the sound but it hasn't blown me away live.

vwxg14a

I have to disagree with Into the Woods.  I really hated that song, but T5 with the Viking chorus completely made it so much better and it actually worked as it is a goofy song.

That said, I would have to go with my other hated song Highly Suspicious.  Live or on record, I can say I never enjoyed that song, ever.   So by default, it doesn't improve on stage.
Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

Mr. White

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Jan 04, 2013, 03:32 PM
I'm in the minority but I like Librarian (on record and live). Certainly not the best MMJ song live but I enjoy when Jim belts out the bolded part "If everybody gave, like everybody could".

I haven't seen it too much but maybe Sec' Walking? Anyone have a good version of that to turn me around? I love the sound but it hasn't blown me away live.

These 2 versions are pretty good.

My Morning Jacket - Librarian (Live Austin City Limits)

My Morning Jacket - From The Basement - Librarian [live]
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

itrainmonkeys

Thanks Mr. White...much appreciated :)

Edit....I meant if someone could find me some examples of Sec Walkin' haha.  I like Librarian :) Great versions.

Fully

Quote from: vwxg14a on Jan 04, 2013, 04:34 PM

That said, I would have to go with my other hated song Highly Suspicious.  Live or on record, I can say I never enjoyed that song, ever.   So by default, it doesn't improve on stage.

Highly Suspicious is a monster onstage. I love it live!!! Way better than the album version.

Sassbox

I agree on Highly Suspicious, though I didn't love it til I saw it at Pres Hall.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

EverythingChanges

Holdin' Onto Black Metal and Victory Dance.  I love love love VD, but it doesn't quite come off as effective live as it does on the album.  I just don't care for HoBM that much in general so maybe I am biased there.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Fully

I think Victory Dance (sorry I like it too much to call it VD :) is great live. Now that they've quit opening with it, I like the stronger build they give it later in the set. Truthfully, I thought it was an excellent opening song, I just saw them open with it too often.

Northern Neighbour

I agree with Shug (to no one's surprise) about Librarian.  Sec Walkin' is also terrible live and on the album.

I have always felt that Wordless Chorus could be amped another notch.  The live version is pretty much the studio version, so there's no improvement on stage.

Ruckus

I've never heard a live At Dawn that I prefer over the album version
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

MMPJ6306

A few circuital songs use overdubs live, that always bums me out a little.
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

FiddleCastro

Golden. I love it on the record, but the way Jim messes with it live kinda takes some of its beauty away, but it does make sense in a live environment. Still fantastic either way
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

manonthemoon

Sec Walking and Two Halves jump to mind, but I really think those are two of the worst songs in the entire catalog.  So probably a little biased here.
Alive or Just Breathing

EverythingChanges

I love Sec Walkin' personally.  I sometimes feel like I am the only person who loves Sec, Look At You, and Thank You Too.  :undecided:
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Fully

You aren't the only person who likes Thank You Too or Look At You, but you may just be the only person who likes Sec Walkin'. :D

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

rincon2

Quote from: Fully on Jan 06, 2013, 01:07 AM
You aren't the only person who likes Thank You Too or Look At You, but you may just be the only person who likes Sec Walkin'. :D
I am truly baffled by the dislike that is expressed for these songs. Throw in Two Halves to that group. If any one of these songs were on an old EP instead of an LP, I bet people would be treating them like some White Whale that they want to hear live. My ex used to listen to Ronnie Milsap. Sec Walkin  could easily be him. As far as Two Halves go, it is MMJ's contribution to Merseybeat, which was a building block of rock and roll.