Patrick question?

Started by rincon2, Jan 10, 2013, 10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

I probably could spend 20 minutes on Google to find the answer to this question, but I would rather hear  what you folks think about this. What I have wondered since I got bitten by the bug is ,"Why was Patrick not the original drummer?" I would guess he was in another band or something. Why it baffles me is they have been friends since elementary school, and Patrick is a top tier drummer in the whole history of rock n roll. He is the only drummer I have ever heard that could legitimately be accused of being the love child of Keith Moon and John Bohnam, who were quite good friends actually. His drumming never fails to amaze me, along with every candid pic I have seen of him with the band. He always looks like some starstruck kid who can't believe he is where he is, while the rest of the band knows how to "look cool".

MamaKel

As far as I know, because Pat and Jim had been such good friends for so long, they kind of swore off being in a band together for exactly that reason.

Then after the other guys decided to leave the band, Pat was throwing a birthday party for Jim's sister(s)? and Jim asked him to join the band. I'm pretty sure it took the use of sexual favors to convince him.  Jim was simply not willing to put out until he knew the time was right, nor was Pat willing to accept until Jim put out.

*Note: Jim and Pat have, according to records found in the Kentucky Licensing Bureau, been married since 4th grade.

sweatboard

This makes sense.  Basically Jim was always just saving up for a ring big enough to propose with.
There's Still Time.........

LeanneP

Yup. I was just reading an article last week where Pat said he and Jim had made a pact that they wouldn't be in the same band so as not to impair their friendship. Eventually, tho, Jim begged.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

rincon2

Legitimate question. Who would be cooler to hang with? Jim would be a someone you would probably be in such awe of that you would always feel like a hanger-on. Patrick seems like just a cool dude, that would prefer not to draw attention to himself. And I am almost old enough to be their father.

SaraBananaBear

You can read about it in this awesome interview. And also:

"We got Patrick, our newest and latest and greatest and final drummer, and it just clicked. We're not going through that (process) again. I've known him since fourth grade and we've always wanted to play together."
- Jim James
(JamBase interview, January 2004)

:thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Fully

Quote from: MamaKel on Jan 11, 2013, 12:15 AM

Every time I see this picture, I just want to touch both of their hair. It's curling so perfect in this photo. It reminds me of my daughter's hair when she was a baby. She had the thickest, curliest hair. I was very vain about it. Of course, it went away when she turned five. That's what I get for being vain about my child.

tdb810

Quote from: rincon2 on Jan 11, 2013, 12:50 AM
Legitimate question. Who would be cooler to hang with? Jim would be a someone you would probably be in such awe of that you would always feel like a hanger-on. Patrick seems like just a cool dude, that would prefer not to draw attention to himself. And I am almost old enough to be their father.
Patrick
.....Back at the Model Home

MamaKel

I may or may not have done the same thing when my son was a newborn...

korief

I imagine that when they hang out, its pretty much like Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly in Stepbrothers.

oistheone

What an awesome article on Patrick! I'd never read that before, thanks very much for digging that up!