Special Guest DJ

Started by Mr. White, Jan 20, 2013, 04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Jim James filled in as a special guest DJ last night (really early this morning) in a little out-of-the-way bar/club called Seidenfaden's in Germantown near downtown Louisville, Kentucky. I was lucky enough to be there for about 3 and a half hours. I stayed until about 2:30 a.m., and Jim was still going strong. (I think he took over one of the two DJ's spots at some time after 12:00 or 12:30 a.m. on the morning of January 20, 2013.) I didn't take any pictures because it didn't seem right, but somebody else did. I found this picture on the Interweb after doing a search. It was posted on Louisville MUSICulture's Facebook page.

It was kind of special to just sit back and enjoy hand-picked music spun by Jim and his partner for the night (not sure if it was Sam Sneed or Narwhal that he spun records with).
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

oistheone

Saw some guy posted this inside tip over on the Bonnaroo forum and sure enough, he was right! So cool that you were able to attend! Makes me wish even more that I lived in Louisville. What kinda tracks was he spinnin'?

YimYodd

Very cool.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Did you go out knowing Jim would be there or were you just out drowning your sorrow after UofL lost? :wink:
Just kidding, very exciting game - both talented , tuff teams.
I guess he didn't play any of his new stuff, what were the' highlites'?
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

Mr. White

Quote from: oistheone on Jan 20, 2013, 04:47 PM
Saw some guy posted this inside tip over on the Bonnaroo forum and sure enough, he was right! So cool that you were able to attend! Makes me wish even more that I lived in Louisville. What kinda tracks was he spinnin'?

He mixed it up quite a bit, like he does for Sir Microcosm. There was a lot of what I would call dance music, some hip-hop, some general bar/party sing-along stuff, some pop stuff, and some oldies. He played Lionel Richie's "Dancing on the Ceiling" and Prince's "Little Red Corvette", to name just a couple. To be honest, I am so out-of-the-loop when it comes to club music that I couldn't even begin to tell you who I was listening to for most of the evening. I did enjoy most everything they played though.

Mr. White

Quote from: YimYodd on Jan 20, 2013, 04:51 PM
Very cool.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Did you go out knowing Jim would be there or were you just out drowning your sorrow after UofL lost? :wink:
Just kidding, very exciting game - both talented , tuff teams.
I guess he didn't play any of his new stuff, what were the' highlites'?

Yeah, I did enjoy myself, but I felt a little out of place. (I was probably one of oldest people there (46), not a regular of the bar, or a friend of anyone involved with the place or any of Jim's friends.) Jim DJ-ing was supposed to be a kind of tightly held secret so as to not over-crowd the tiny bar and to keep it a bit private for the regulars and those who were let in on the whole thing. I am not someone who is "in-the-know" about things like this. A good friend of mine called me up a couple of hours before Jim was to start his DJ-ing "shift", but he told me to definitely not tell anyone about it. He said there was to be no general acknowledgement that Jim was doing the DJ-ing, any autograph seeking, or any photographs to be taken. The DJ table was near the door and not raised at all. I grabbed a seat at the far end of the bar and couldn't see much for very long. When the place started to get extremely packed, I couldn't see the DJ's at all. I didn't want to stare or gawk to create uncomfortable attention directed toward Jim, so I just drank my drinks, watched the strange videos they played on the large TV's around the place, and enjoyed the music. (The strange videos they played seemed to be from European TV from the late 1960's and early 1970's. They played the French animated movie Fantastic Planet from 1973, German and other European commercials from the 1960's, vintage movie promo-clips, and Pop and Rock videos from that era.) For a while, I thought Jim might not even be there, but there was a sudden flurry of camera flashes that went off right near the DJ table that let me know he was truly DJ-ing then and there! I kept playing it cool and understood more fully my friend's warnings to not take pictures. I can see now how distracting it all can be, especially for someone like Jim just wanting to get out and do his thing without a lot of fuss. The picture taking seemed to only last a minute or two. Maybe they realized they shouldn't take pictures using the flash any more or someone might have stopped them. I did get the occasional glimps of Jim as the crowd shifted from time to time. Right after Little Red Corvette, I made my way past the crowd near the front and out the door without making eye contact with our man Jim. It was satisfying enough to have spent the better part of 2 and a half hours listening to his (and his partner's) musical tastes.

YimYodd

My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

Waddy Peytona

This was the worst kept secret in town.

e_wind

Yeah I was there, as we're a lot of my friends. It was a blast
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

e_wind

I think that generally the crowd was very polite. I only saw a couple picture requests and I know that most of the crowd showed up when the word got out that it was Jim. So, for a bar full of MMJ fans, it seemed pretty legit.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...