If you could go back in time.......

Started by LD, Jan 17, 2013, 07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

Quote from: ericm on Jan 19, 2013, 12:30 PM
Wow Rich, you would've enjoyed a summer show I went to in the early 80's at old JFK Stadium in Philly. It was obviously after Moon had passed but The Clash >Santana with The Who headlining. Quite a day, and if you find that time machine, you could knock out two of your bands in one day. :wink:

That '82 Who tour was one of my first big rock shows.  I saw it at the stadium in San Diego, which always seemed like the poor screwed over cousin compared to LA when it came to rock 'n' roll.  In San Diego, the openers were Loverboy and John Cougar (yep, back when that's what he called himself).  The very next stop on the tour was LA, who had the Clash opening.  It was also the first stop of the tour where they played My Generation, so I missed that by one night as well.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

headhunter

Quote from: Shug on Jan 21, 2013, 10:21 AM
Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 19, 2013, 08:52 AM
If I could go back in time, one thing I've thought I'd love to see is the Richard and Linda Thompson US tour from 1982.  They were in the process of getting divorced, but had this tour booked, which was their first time touring the US, so they went through with it. 

Supposedly there were nights where Linda tried to kill Richard onstage.  I talked so someone who saw the San Francisco stop on that tour and in the middle of the set Linda charged Richard and tried to break a bottle over his head.  Also it was supposedly fairly common on that tour that she would walk over and kick him in the shins while he was playing. 

Also, Ralph, Danny Whitten-era Crazy Horse.   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Whippy, you and I being probably the only Richard Thompson fans on this board, this is probably more like a private conversation, oh well.  yeah, that '82 American tour was the best for live RT.  My favorite recording of Richard live is the Chicago tour stop.  There was something about that fierce rhythm section, Simon Nicol's singing and rhythm guitar playing was at its peak for some reason and that band just gelled.  The jam in Sloth just rips!  And yeah its weird that that musically the band was so tight and inspired when Richard and Linda were not getting along, to say the least.  The only weak point is that weird warbly choking thing her voice was going through at the time that I guess she got over.  Maybe is was psychological?

I have a bunch of live RT if you want some, let me know.

I'm a big Richard fan as well.  My wife and I have caught him live a few times over the past 10 years.  A brilliant and funny guy who never fails to please.  I never get tired of listening to him live.

And NO ONE does a better Britney Spears cover than RT.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

Crispy

Hey, I dig RT also, an amazing guy and that dynamic with Linda was something else.

It may be cliche, but I sure would like to go back to Monterey. Like Jaimoe said, The Who, and Jimi:

Jimi Hendrix Wild Thing Live Monterey 1967

And of course, Otis (I love watching Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper back there too, and Booker T!):

Otis Redding shaking Monterey!

I don't want to clog it up here with all the others.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

MrWhippy

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 21, 2013, 11:00 AM
Hey, I dig RT also, an amazing guy and that dynamic with Linda was something else.

Cool, Crispy, good to know.  One more thing we have to talk about on our next MMJ road trip.  I'm among the ranks of the fanatical on that one, having seen Thompson roughly 40 times since 1988.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Shug

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 21, 2013, 01:20 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Jan 21, 2013, 11:00 AM

Cool, Crispy, good to know.  One more thing we have to talk about on our next MMJ road trip.  I'm among the ranks of the fanatical on that one, having seen Thompson roughly 40 times since 1988.

Now its a club of three RT fans here!  :grin:
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"