Was Elvis just a cog in the machine?

Started by sweatboard, Jan 29, 2013, 02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

My point being, people talk about the death of rock music.  It seems like from the begening of rock music there has been crappy music and there has been real shit.  I mean Poison and The Pixies were making music at the same time...ya know?
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

side note....my mom bought me "look what the cat dragged in" on cassete tape when I was in seventh grade and I was really fucking pshyched....

10 years later I was all fucked up on a shitty couch in the middle of oblivion getting to know doolittle....ya know?

sweatboard

To put it into more plain terms...Elvis really was the worst part of america embracing rock music.   

sweatboard

translate an emotion into????....???!!???<.>>

sweatboard

Blue or Black...we are victims...beyond the facts.

Tracy 2112

Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me
A straight-up racist
The sucker was simple and plain
~ Chuck D.

I got a reason to believe we all won't be received at Graceland
Living Colour - Elvis Is Dead
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

rmpotsy

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 31, 2013, 08:29 AM
Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me
A straight-up racist
The sucker was simple and plain
~ Chuck D.

mother fuck him and john wayne
out go the lights it begins

CC

"Elvis Presley was the sweetest, most humble and nicest man you'd want to know."
- Muhammad Ali

danz

That Living Colour song is awesome, I still like Elvis though.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: danz on Jan 31, 2013, 10:35 AM
That Living Colour song is awesome, I still like Elvis though.

I like Elvis too. But he came along during a time when white America needed some "soul" in their music without having it be black, so they borrowed from the styles of Chuck Berry and Little Richard, and you got Elvis. Some of our black  brothers and sisters are a little resentful of this.

sweatboard

Elvis was the wrong turn that the U.S.A made. 

sweatboard

Jaimoe

Quote from: sweatboard on Feb 01, 2013, 03:26 AM
Elvis was the wrong turn that the U.S.A made.

The US has made many wrong turns.

I'm fine with Elvis. He wasn't the worst music-pillaging offender. That title goes to Pat Boone. Elvis was a brilliant arranger, great entertainer and had a keen ear for quality. Of course, some of his early hits were straight-up/faithful covers, but black bluesmen were also "borrowing" songs decades before Elvis came around, although few paid attention or cared.

Tracy 2112

this 68 show is mesmerizing to me (at least the first 52 minutes). I cannot imagine seeing this live and being in the energy of this rock and roll spirit. And the banter between the players is amazing. That's Allright Mama at 31:30, my favorite song he does.

Elvis Presley 68 Comeback Special

LD

Quotes about Elvis: I guess he did something right in the eyes of some very credible artists of our time......

Rod Stewart
Elvis was the king. No doubt about it. People like myself, Mick Jagger and all the others only followed in his footsteps.

Mick Jagger
He was a unique artist... an original in an area of imitators.

Hal Wallis (Producer)
A Presley picture is the only sure thing in Hollywood.

John Landau
There is something magical about watching a man who has lost himself find his way back home. He sang with the kind of power people no longer expect from rock 'n' roll singers.

Greil Marcus
It was the finest music of his life. If ever there was music that bleeds, this was it.

Jackie Wilson
A lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man's music, when in fact almost every black solo entertainer copied his stage mannerisms from Elvis.

Bruce Springsteen
There have been a lot of tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.

Bob Dylan
When I first heard Elvis' voice I just knew that I wasn't going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss. Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail.

Leonard Bernstein
Elvis is the greatest cultural force in the twentieth century. He introduced the beat to everything, music, language, clothes, it's a whole new social revolution... the 60's comes from it.

Frank Sinatra
There have been many accolades uttered about Elvis' talent and performances through the years, all of which I agree with wholeheartedly. I shall miss him dearly as a friend. He was a warm, considerate and generous man.

Al Green
Elvis had an influence on everybody with his musical approach. He broke the ice for all of us.

John Lennon
Before Elvis, there was nothing.

Carl Perkins
This boy had everything. He had the looks, the moves, the manager, and the talent. And he didn't look like Mr. Ed like a lot of the rest of us did. In the way he looked, way he talked, way he acted... he really was different.

It's too late to play it safe so let's let it all ride

Shug

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Mr. White

I gave up on speaking negatively about music and different musical tastes recently. I understand those who criticize "The King", but I did grow up in a house where my mother just about worshiped him. Plus, most of my musical heroes have spoken kindly about Elvis and given him a lot of credit for jump-starting their love of music and the Rock and Roll take-over of the world. Now, I hardly ever play his stuff, but I did salvage a couple of my mother's albums before we got rid of most of their stuff (junk) before they had to move in with us.

My Morning Jacket Suspicious Minds Cover Live @ Ancienne Belgique
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011