Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jaimoe on Feb 07, 2013, 02:03 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 07, 2013, 01:33 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Feb 07, 2013, 09:56 AM
Try as I might, I'll never like Widespread Panic

What??  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Ophelia & Shape I'm In - Widespread Panic

Their originals are soooo boring. Sure, emotional vocals and good playing, but they bore the hell out of me.

I was kidding
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 07, 2013, 02:47 PM

Their originals are soooo boring. Sure, emotional vocals and good playing, but they bore the hell out of me.

true for me, too...they are a great live band, i don't think they're good songwriters-- they've mastered putting on a great show and they're great musicians, but i'll never get the following they have..the friends and relatives i know who follow them do a lot of drugs..(which is fine, i'm sure it heightens any show) but i've never met any WSP fan who didn't partake heavily..in all sorts of things...not that there's anything wrong with it..i'm sure there are a lot of big fans out there who don't...i just don't know them..

I love Can't Get High but recently found out it was a Bloodkin song (i'm now a big fan of Bloodkin)

Shouldn't need to partake in anything if music is engaging enough to begin with. I'm a big Dead fan but don't do drugs. Similarly, I don't want comedy recommendations from a pot-head or coffee recommendations from those that add tons of cream and sugar .

Tired Eyes

true for me, too...they are a great live band, i don't think they're good songwriters-- they've mastered putting on a great show and they're great musicians, but i'll never get the following they have..the friends and relatives i know who follow them do a lot of drugs..(which is fine, i'm sure it heightens any show) but i've never met any WSP fan who didn't partake heavily..in all sorts of things...not that there's anything wrong with it..i'm sure there are a lot of big fans out there who don't...i just don't know them..

I love Can't Get High but recently found out it was a Bloodkin song (i'm now a big fan of Bloodkin)

I'm a WSP fan and I don't partake heavily.  I disagree that they don't write good songs.  Check out this performance from Granville, OH as an example.
I also think John Bell is one of the best vocalists in popular music.

Widespread Panic - I'm Not Alone

e_wind

Agree with all statements about WSP. I just can't get into it, and I've tried a lot. Soon I'm going to a couple shows with se work friends, who are heavily into WSP, and I guess that could change my mind.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Penny Lane

Quote from: Jaimoe on Feb 07, 2013, 03:09 PM

Shouldn't need to partake in anything if music is engaging enough to begin with. I'm a big Dead fan but don't do drugs. Similarly, I don't want comedy recommendations from a pot-head or coffee recommendations from those that add tons of cream and sugar .

i also love the Grateful Dead..i don't necessarily associate them with any drug other than weed but any WSP show i've been to and most people i know who love the band partake in other stuff...not to mention the accessories that go with WSP shows (hula hoops, devil sticks, glow sticks, lunch boxes, what not)...not a big fan of the music or the scene i guess..

i respect them a lot, though...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

e_wind

Not a big fan of the scene either, and now somehow electronic music
Is making that scene main stream. I would kill for Nelly to be what's cool over Skrillex.  I hate seeing dumb "neo hippies", as they are self proclaimed, hula hooping on campus in between class. Ugg

Tired Eyes

I don't know where the rest of you have seen WSP, but I don't recall seeing hula hoops at any of the 12 shows I've been to so far.
And anyone who thinks alcohol and weed were the only things being consumed at Grateful Dead shows is severely uninformed. (I love the Grateful Dead too btw.)

Hawkeye

Let's just say I've observed what you've observed PL.  Although probably one of THE best times I've had in my entire life was at a WSP show (2005 Bonnaroo, Saturday)...I may have been heavily partaking  :grin:  Would go see them live again, just never really want to listen to their studio stuff.  Definitely respect 'em though.  They can play.

I've never listened to a proper Stones album, so I need to get on that (I like the Stones).

Need to check out the Beatles remasters...maybe I'm over-thinking it...are the re-masters still "true" to the original sound?  What has changed, the mix?  Not really that familiar with re-mastering in general, but I'm intrigued now.

As for the original topic, yeah I would get some vinyl or best quality available and spend some time with it.  These are important bands, for a reason.  But if it never clicks, don't sweat it.  There are lots of bands I like a lot, and are considered "good" bands, but I'm hardly ever in the mood to listen to them regularly:  Zeppelin, Skynyrd, etc.  Tastes change.
We could.

Penny Lane

i'm not saying dead heads don't do more than smoke weed, but the music stands on its own

and i've been going to WSP shows since the 90s--but yeah, in the last 5 years i've only seen them at festivals and i can assure you, bonnaroo 2008, forecastle and hangout fest were full of that tweaker toy sh*t...

e_wind

I've seen them at festivals only and there's been plenty of hoola hoops. In fact, my boss got back from Panic en la Playa this week as showed me pictures of people hoola hooping in the ocean as panic played

Tired Eyes

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 07, 2013, 04:09 PM
i'm not saying dead heads don't do more than smoke weed, but the music stands on its own

and i've been going to WSP shows since the 90s--but yeah, in the last 5 years i've only seen them at festivals and i can assure you, bonnaroo 2008, forecastle and hangout fest were full of that tweaker toy sh*t...

You told me you skipped WSP at Hangout.  I saw their whole set. 
There are annoying people at MMJ shows too...just check out the thread about bad concert behavior for proof.
I would say that Widespread Panic's music doesn't need any chemical enhancement to enjoy it.  If some folks here disagree, no skin off my nose.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Tired Eyes on Feb 07, 2013, 04:16 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 07, 2013, 04:09 PM

You told me you skipped WSP at Hangout.  I saw their whole set. 
There are annoying people at MMJ shows too...just check out the thread about bad concert behavior for proof.
I would say that Widespread Panic's music doesn't need any chemical enhancement to enjoy it.  If some folks here disagree, no skin off my nose.

my wife dragged me to a show with her old college roommate who is a serious Panic fan, so much so that we were near the fence when they went on stage and Dave Schools said hello to her by name. Winter Park, Colorado, 2006. This song did get me though, I must admit. Plus JoJo was in Beanland with a friend of mine from high school

Ain't Life Grand - Georgia Music Hall of Fame

Jaimoe

I think I'd need to be fall over drunk to enjoy a WSP show, and I'm a Jimmy Herring fan.

One a related note, I used to love Phish back in the mid '90 to early 2000s, but I saw Trey Anastasio in concert a few weeks back in Toronto and felt absolutely nothing, and he was on; so was his band. I knew that even my like of Phish had left me around 5 or more years ago, but I never thought I'd feel nothing. It wouldn't bother me if I never heard Phish again. I've also never been a fan of Phishheads, so being around so many again made me dislike them even more. That being said, I readily endorse another Oyserhead album and tour.

Crispy

I'm enjoying this WSP threadjack, and would like to pile on. I enjoyed their first record (Space Wrangler) a lot, especially the first track (Chilly Water), and it's been downhill for me ever since. They got my attention when I saw them play at a HORDE show, and saw them again in '94 or so, but the best thing about them is the covers they do, which they tend to knock out of the park. I mean, the second track on that first record is a cover! A damn good one, but I agree with others who say their own material can be pretty boring. I haven't seen them lately, but I'm pretty sure the size and temperament of the crowd would wreck it for me.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Tired Eyes

Check out the upcoming shows on the WSP spring tour.  They are playing some nice venues.

http://www.widespreadpanic.com/tour

The presence of WSP is a big reason why I am thinking about attending my first Mountain Jam this year.

Are there any Dave Matthews Band or Mumford & Sons threads on this board?  I think I'll go there and tell folks what I really think of those bands.   :thumbsup:

Tired Eyes

Back to the OP's question...

The Rolling Stones Satisfaction (rare)

I agree that Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile On Main Street are essential Stones albums.  After getting those, I'd recommend checking out Aftermath (UK), Some Girls, and Tattoo You.

Tracy 2112

man, there are few things in life as cool as this (even though Brian Jones looks like the sedated frog-alien King of Uranus)

The Rolling Stones -1968- Jumping Jack Flash (PROMO FILM

Penny Lane

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 07, 2013, 06:37 PM
I'm enjoying this WSP threadjack, and would like to pile on. I enjoyed their first record (Space Wrangler) a lot, especially the first track (Chilly Water), and it's been downhill for me ever since. They got my attention when I saw them play at a HORDE show, and saw them again in '94 or so, but the best thing about them is the covers they do, which they tend to knock out of the park. I mean, the second track on that first record is a cover! A damn good one, but I agree with others who say their own material can be pretty boring. I haven't seen them lately, but I'm pretty sure the size and temperament of the crowd would wreck it for me.

totally agree about the covers----and i love seeing others join them, like Robert Randolph at Bonnaroo..