The Mars Volta breaks up

Started by ManNamedTruth, Jan 24, 2013, 06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/01/the-mars-volta-announce-break-up.html
Chock full of classic quotes, as per usual an entertaining and honest article about Mars Volta. Never got see them or ATDI.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

MrWhippy

That's a bummer, but Omar's new project, Bosnian Rainbows, is supposedly amazing.  On tour in February.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

wolof7

I also find this to be a bummer...I can't help but think it was all Omar's decision. He really seems like a dick to work with. I do also think that TMV went as far as they could go with what they were doing. Nocturniquet was a stellar album to go out on and I do wish they could've toured with it, but again it seemed not in the cards according to Cedric's take on it.

I always remember wondering why they kept changing the lineup so much and Omar would say to keep the band in a state of flux which I got considering their sound but then I read a ton of interviews with past members stating how much of a dick he was to work with that he never let anyone even Cedric make decisions and that multiple people at different times wouldn't even know or find out if they were in the band at all, he would just tour and record without telling them...that's messed up.

Looking forward to what Cedric does in the future. His voice can be tough to get behind but it was one of the top reasons I loved the band...his lyrics were always incredibly fascinating to me as well. If anyone is on twitter do yourself a favor and follow him he's one funny dude.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Jeff Murray

Quote from: wolof7 on Jan 25, 2013, 06:58 AM
I also find this to be a bummer...I can't help but think it was all Omar's decision. He really seems like a dick to work with. I do also think that TMV went as far as they could go with what they were doing. Nocturniquet was a stellar album to go out on and I do wish they could've toured with it, but again it seemed not in the cards according to Cedric's take on it.

I always remember wondering why they kept changing the lineup so much and Omar would say to keep the band in a state of flux which I got considering their sound but then I read a ton of interviews with past members stating how much of a dick he was to work with that he never let anyone even Cedric make decisions and that multiple people at different times wouldn't even know or find out if they were in the band at all, he would just tour and record without telling them...that's messed up.

Looking forward to what Cedric does in the future. His voice can be tough to get behind but it was one of the top reasons I loved the band...his lyrics were always incredibly fascinating to me as well. If anyone is on twitter do yourself a favor and follow him he's one funny dude.

From what I heard Cedric is doing a solo acoustic album... which should be a very interesting change of pace for him.
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

johnnYYac

I caught a clip of TMV performing at some fest (Coachella '06?) on Palladia last year.  Amazing energy, a bit out-of-control at times but infectious.  While an interest in seeing them live is no longer valid, any recommendations from their discography?  Not sure how deep it is.  Advice?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

wonderfulman

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 25, 2013, 10:37 AM
I caught a clip of TMV performing at some fest (Coachella '06?) on Palladia last year.  Amazing energy, a bit out-of-control at times but infectious.  While an interest in seeing them live is no longer valid, any recommendations from their discography?  Not sure how deep it is.  Advice?

Can't go wrong with their first three albums (De Loused in the Comatorium, Frances The Mute, or Amputechture). A lot of people dog on Amputechture but I love it. Some really fantastic compositions.

wolof7

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 25, 2013, 10:37 AM

I'd say for entry level listening I'd go with their first Deloused in the Comatorium and their last Nocturniquet. Probably their most accessible

Once you get a feel definitely Frances the Mute next as it is the beginning of their free-form improv stage but with some of their most classic songs

For the more advanced free-form chaotic MV you can graduate to the challenging but oftentimes brilliant Amputechture and the Bedlam in Goliath.

Octahedron is more or less skippable
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

MMPJ6306

I really liked->loved each of their first three albums but after seeing them in 06 open for the chili peppers I fell out of love with them. I thought they were very bad. Aimless jamming, no sense of melody, super loud... Still sad to see them go. I loved playing video games to Frances The Mute.
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

Ruckus

Saw Bosnian Rainbows with Whippy at Ottobar on Sunday night and thought they were tight and a lot of fun.  I went in blind to this, not knowing any of their material.  It was a very short show, maybe an hour set, and it was odd to see Omar so restrained.  I was hoping for at least one fuzzed out freaky jam but he held true to his words that this was a true "band" where everyone had equal input and songs were more concise. 

I did miss having a real bassist but the Le Butcherettes singer carried herself well on stage.  She had some presence.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head