Awesome Albums In 2013

Started by sweatboard, Mar 05, 2013, 12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Aug 19, 2013, 12:21 AM
Quote from: Fully on Aug 17, 2013, 07:21 AM
Quote from: e_wind on Aug 16, 2013, 10:16 PM
I know I've mentioned these already, but on my trip last week I became really into the Jason Isbell and obsessed with P.tM - Evil Friends. Its as good as TSS or ITMITC, in my opinion.

I'm still listening to Evil Friends myself. Sometimes I love an album from first listen, but then tire quickly of it. This album is not one of them. Other times An album is a grower; once again not this album.  I fell in love on first listen and it is right up there for me in my current rotation of regulars.

yeah its great. Probably my album of the year. I love how the album is "kind of" a concept album and they use recurring lyrics and melodies

That's one of the things I like about it too. It makes it seem so interconnected, almost like a symphonic piece-Different movements that come back to the same themes

Ob1jacobe

Jason Isbell - Southeastern - finally gave this the time it deserved.   Definetly a top 5 album of the year for me.  It's a classic an probably my favorite alt country / singer song writer album sense heartbreaker.

Ola Podrida - Ghosts Go Blind - not sure if he has been mentioned but could be in my final top 10 as well.  Rdio compares it to phosphorescent

Lone Bellow - s/t -  beautiful harmonies.  Nice alt folk pop album superior to more commercially succesful acts like Mumford and lumineers

Portugal. The man - also love the lyrical themes through out and it's also just damn fun listening

Night beds - more indie folk.  Dude has an amazing voice

Jeff Murray

QOTSA ...Like Clockwork has been on heavy rotation lately for me. 
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

dmooney99

adding NIN to my list, solid album.   :thumbsup: Only listened to it once though.

Jagwar Ma- Howlin

Went to the record store looking for a particular album, Hanni El Khatib, but they didn't have it.  I then was chatting with the owner and he mentioned this band.  Played a song from them, i liked it and bought the album.  Pretty decent.

Ruckus

1.  Wolf People - Fain
2.  Futurebirds - Baba Yaga
3.  Jason Isbell - Southeastern
4.  Carcass - Surgical Steel
5.  Arbouretum - Coming Out of the Fog
6.  Phosphorescent - Muchacho
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Come Closer

Good list, 5 of those are in my top 10-15 of the year and Baba Yaga remains my #1. Haven't heard Carcass, whats that like? Metal?

MrWhippy

Quote from: dmooney99 on Aug 28, 2013, 04:55 PM
adding NIN to my list, solid album.   :thumbsup: Only listened to it once though.

Yes!  I've only listened to the new Nine Inch Nails album once as well, but I loved it on first listen.  Pretty sure it is my favorite of theirs since The Fragile.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Northern Neighbour

I listened to Laura Veirs' album this morning, and it's fantastic.  It has a little Neko and Kathleen Edwards. 

Ruckus

Quote from: Osistheones on Aug 30, 2013, 12:14 PM
Good list, 5 of those are in my top 10-15 of the year and Baba Yaga remains my #1. Haven't heard Carcass, whats that like? Metal?
Ha!  Yeah Carcass would fall into the melodic death metal/gore grind category I guess.  Metal categories crack me up.  It is an amazing album though and may climb the list.

Ruckus

I have to add Qwel and Maker's Beautiful Raw.  This is my favorite hip hop album since Cool Calm Pete's Lost in 2005.

dmooney99

Quote from: dmooney99 on Aug 28, 2013, 04:55 PM

Jagwar Ma- Howlin

Went to the record store looking for a particular album, Hanni El Khatib, but they didn't have it.  I then was chatting with the owner and he mentioned this band.  Played a song from them, i liked it and bought the album.  Pretty decent.

Def. also adding Arctic Monkeys- AM  :smiley:

sweatboard

Savages - Silence Yourself

Out of nowhere...killing your face!!!

Just amazing
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

sweatboard

Jared

Awesome albums of 2013 (in no particular order):
1. Bombino- Nomad
2. J Roddy Walston and the Business- Essential Tremors
3. Tedeschi Trucks Band- Made Up Mind
4. Jim James- Regions
5. Valerie June- Pushing Against a Stone
6. The Wood Brothers- The Muse
7. Dr. Dog- B Room

Although "Preservation Hall Jazz Band- That's It!" did not quite make my awesome list I was surprised no one here brought it up since it was produced by our hero Jim James.

Ob1jacobe

My current top 10

1. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
  2. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City
  3. Phosphorescent - Muchacho
  4. Kurt Vile - Walkin On A Pretty Daze
  5. Jason Isbell - Southeastern
  6. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
  7. Local Natives - Hummingbird
  8. Mikal Cronin - MCII
  9. Queens of the Stone Age - ... Like Clockwork
  10. Arctic Monkeys - A.M.

Notables - Neko Case, Portugal. The Man, The Men, Unknown Mortal Orchestra

dmooney99

Guess i'm gonna have to add Pearl Jam to my list and I'm sure Arad Fire will be up there as well once it's out.

e_wind

Kind of in order? The top 3 are my top 3, after that theyre just records I like so far.

1. PtM - Evil Friends
2. Daft Punk - RAM
3. Phosphorescent - Muchacho
4. Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt
5. Jason Isbell - Southeastern
6. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
7. Dr. Dog - B-room
8. Jim James - ROLSOG
9. THATH - Lets Be Still
10. Kwel and Maker - Beautiful Raw
11. Future Birds - Baba
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

My favorites at this point in the year are as follows:
1) Arbouretum-Coming Out of the Fog
2) Phosphorescent-Muchacho
3) Futurebirds-Baba Yaga
4) Kurt Vile-Walking on a Pretty Daze
5) Portugal.the Man -Evil Friends
6) J Roddy-Essential Tremors
7) Wolf People-Fain
8) Volcano Choir-Repave
9) Ben Harper & Charlie Musslewhite-Get Up!
10) and maybe the new Mazzy Star. I'm still working my way through it.

Ruckus

Ha Fully!  Our tastes crack me up.

1.  Qwel & Maker - Beautiful Raw
2.  J Roddy Walston and the Business - Essential Tremors
3.  Jason Isbell - Southeastern
4.  Wolf People - Fain
5.  Futurebirds - Baba Yaga
6.  Carcass - Surgical Steel
7.  Arbouretum - Coming Out of the Fog
8.  Phosphorescent - Muchacho
9.  Roomrunner - Ideal Cities
10.  I'm sure Russian Circles, White Denim, Pelican, and Dr. Dog will soon impress!