favorite rockumentaries/concert films

Started by ManNamedTruth, Mar 27, 2013, 02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tired Eyes

Quote from: buaawwww on Apr 05, 2013, 03:10 PM
I could NOT disagree with you guys more re: PJ20.  Maybe it's just because they are one of my favorite bands I don't know, but I loved everything about it.  So yeah, that's up there for me.

They're one of my favorite bands too.  You know how casual PJ fans often act like they didn't do anything worthwhile past their first 2-3 albums?  That's kinda how Cameron Crowe came across in the movie, as he focused very little on the years after 1995 or so.  That's the one thing I didn't like about the movie (other than it was too short).

ewiser

Just saw Sound City last week and really love it. Good behind the curtain look at one of the great recording studios and what made it special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaimoe

Quote from: Tired Eyes on Apr 05, 2013, 04:11 PM
I could NOT disagree with you guys more re: PJ20.  Maybe it's just because they are one of my favorite bands I don't know, but I loved everything about it.  So yeah, that's up there for me.

They're one of my favorite bands too.  You know how casual PJ fans often act like they didn't do anything worthwhile past their first 2-3 albums?  That's kinda how Cameron Crowe came across in the movie, as he focused very little on the years after 1995 or so.  That's the one thing I didn't like about the movie (other than it was too short).

If they did do more kickass albums after say the 3rd album, there'd be a lot less casual fans. I think PJ are a great live band with too many average songs. Eddie isn't great at writing catchy melodies.

Tired Eyes

Quote from: Jaimoe on Apr 06, 2013, 10:37 AM

If they did do more kickass albums after say the 3rd album, there'd be a lot less casual fans. I think PJ are a great live band with too many average songs. Eddie isn't great at writing catchy melodies.

No Code and Yield are both classic albums. 

weeniebeenie

Okonokos
Runnin' Down A Dream
PJ Live At Madison Square Garden (most importantly Matt Cam, same goes for Touring Band 2000)
Hype!
The Police: The Synchronicity Concert (because the crowds dance moves/enthusiasm is so funny)
Be Here To Love Me
How loud can silence get?

e_wind

Quote from: Tired Eyes on Apr 06, 2013, 10:44 AM

Yes. They're the best two PJ albums. I read the initial comment and thought "what the.....?"
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Penny Lane

Quote from: e_wind on Apr 07, 2013, 12:03 PM

Yes. They're the best two PJ albums. I read the initial comment and thought "what the.....?"

yeah but these are classic albums to PJ fans only, and the documentary is targeted towards the masses..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Fully

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 08, 2013, 09:17 AM

yeah but these are classic albums to PJ fans only, and the documentary is targeted towards the masses..

The masses are great ...

Tired Eyes

I disagree withi this.  Cameron Crowe's other films are targeted towards the masses.  PJ20 was for Pearl Jam fans.
Its total domestic gross was $471,334.
When was the last time a music documentary was a mainstream hit? 
EDIT: I just looked it up.  By far the top-grossing music documentary in the U.S. is the Justin Bieber film with over 73 million in domestic gross.  By contrast, The Last Waltz has a domestic gross of $322,313.  Wow, that is depressing.

Tired Eyes

Quote from: Fully on Apr 08, 2013, 11:00 AM

The masses are great ...

As usual, Triumph is spot on.

buaawwww

Yes there could have been more on the later and more recent years of the band, but that doesn't bother me as much.  I enjoyed very much watching all of the earlier years and all of the stuff on Andy Wood was terrific.  I've seen these guys upwards of 20 times now, and frankly I think the best album they've ever made was the self titled Pearl Jam album.  That front to back is perfect.  And their most recent album was also pretty great.  To each their own I guess that's fine.

Penny Lane

I meant 'to the masses' as to more casual PJ fans (or casual music fans) rather than to the mainstream overall. I don't think most mainstream people would even watch a rockumentary. (Although I think most people would watch a biopic about a shitty pop star like Justin B. Sad.) I still think judging by Crowe's focus on early PJ, their philanthropy and how Eddie guides them and their business outside the confounds of the typical music biz is a testament of how he's geared this more towards the casual fan. I loved it.

Tired Eyes

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 08, 2013, 02:03 PM
I meant 'to the masses' as to more casual PJ fans (or casual music fans) rather than to the mainstream overall. I don't think most mainstream people would even watch a rockumentary. (Although I think most people would watch a biopic about a shitty pop star like Justin B. Sad.) I still think judging by Crowe's focus on early PJ, their philanthropy and how Eddie guides them and their business outside the confounds of the typical music biz, is a testament of how he's geared this more towards the casual fan. I loved it.

I loved the movie too.  I guess I'm just nitpicking as I'm such a big Pearl Jam fan and think it could have been even better.  I'm very glad that Crowe made the movie and that he's a fellow PJ fan.

HansAndreas

Dig! and The Devil And Daniel Johnston.

Jaimoe

I wasn't a casual PJ fan in the early '90s. Loved the early stuff, but bailed by the mid '90s, although I liked songs here and there.

Bittersweet Motel is a solid doc, but I pretty much hate jam bands now.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Jaimoe on Apr 08, 2013, 03:54 PM
I wasn't a casual PJ fan in the early '90s. Loved the early stuff, but bailed by the mid '90s, although I liked songs here and there.

I really loved their first few albums and was really obsessed with them for a while but have only found a song or two on each album afterwards that really stuck with me. My respect for them as a band and for what Eddie's done with his rock star power far exceeds my like of the music. I really wish I liked them more.

Also, who in rock-n-roll is hotter than Eddie Vedder on a surfboard? (JJ with a cape or JQ with a jigsaw? That's a legitimate question..)

Jaimoe

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 08, 2013, 04:05 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Apr 08, 2013, 03:54 PM

I really loved their first few albums and was really obsessed with them for a while but have only found a song or two on each album afterwards that really stuck with me. My respect for them as a band and for what Eddie's done with his rock star power far exceeds my like of the music. I really wish I liked them more.

Also, who in rock-n-roll is hotter than Eddie Vedder on a surfboard? (JJ with a cape or JQ with a jigsaw? That's a legitimate question..)

Their collaborative with Neil Young kicks ass. Love their Who covers, especially "Leaving Here". Eddie's solo work is awesome.

LeanneP

My respect for them as a band and for what Eddie's done with his rock star power far exceeds my like of the music. I really wish I liked them more.

This! 

I'm just not interested.  But Vedder et al are decent guys.

Hans, I totally agree, Dig! is awesome!  As is The Devil and Danial Johnston.

Have I mentioned Watch Me Jumpstart?  Because it's AWESOME and kicked off my love of Guided By Voices which was my obsession about 14 years ago and the other community I was part of. When alienlanes pressed play on this movie, I was about 10 minutes into it and I turned to him and said, "I know this is going to sound a little premature, but this is my favourite band in the whole world!"   :grin:
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

manonthemoon

Quote from: LeanneP on Apr 08, 2013, 05:51 PM
My respect for them as a band and for what Eddie's done with his rock star power far exceeds my like of the music. I really wish I liked them more.

This! 

I'm just not interested.  But Vedder et al are decent guys.

Hans, I totally agree, Dig! is awesome!  As is The Devil and Danial Johnston.

Have I mentioned Watch Me Jumpstart?  Because it's AWESOME and kicked off my love of Guided By Voices which was my obsession about 14 years ago and the other community I was part of. When alienlanes pressed play on this movie, I was about 10 minutes into it and I turned to him and said, "I know this is going to sound a little premature, but this is my favourite band in the whole world!"   :grin:

I too have never been too huge of a PJ fan, even though two of my favorite songs ever are black and I got shit.  Something to do with his voice just kind of turns me off of the songs, but the way they conduct themselves as a band in the public eye was always commendable.  Still would love to catch them live to see if that would change my mind any.
Alive or Just Breathing