College Football 2013

Started by Tracy 2112, Apr 15, 2013, 01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quote from: Tired Eyes on Aug 30, 2013, 07:29 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 30, 2013, 07:16 PM
Let's all enjoy the farce that is NCAA football this year.  I was laughing at the outrage over JF's "suspension".  For the casual fan it's important to distinguish the economics of football vs. basketball.  The NCAA generates all it's operating revenue through the basketball tournament contract.  They've almost become superfluous in football where ESPN and the power conferences have all the leverage with regional cable and ABC/ESPN duopoly.  The Big Ten and SEC and Pac 10 could just create their 20 team super conferences already, dump the NCAA as a governing body and become the professional league proper that they already are in football.  You think the NCAA had a say in JF's punishment?  Under the guise of still disciplining, they just did what the SEC and ESPN told them to do.  Farce farce farce.  Pay them already!

If that's true then why did Ohio State receive a much harsher punishment?  How about Dez Bryant?  It's clear that Johnny Manziel followed the Cam Newton blueprint...do everything in cash and leave no paper trail and the NCAA can't prove anything.
As for paying the football & basketball players...that would be illegal.  You can't pay some college athletes for playing but not others.  And the schools are not about to start paying athletes in sports that generate little to no revenue.
Dez Bryant is not Johnny Manziel or Cam Newton and OSU is not SEC.  Of course you can pay college players.  Right now there is an agreement that the NCAA is the governing body of Division I athletics and they are "amateur".  These athletes generate revenue and therefore are entitled to compensation if that is the agreement.  You are allowed to work while you are in college.  That is what they are doing.  If the NCAA doesn't govern, all those restrictions and bylaws over the athletes and of treating all sports alike are moot.  For those that generate revenue, they can pay them what is deemed market value.  If the SEC so chose, they could get out of the NCAA in time.  The O'Bannon case is merely the tip of the iceberg. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tired Eyes

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 30, 2013, 07:39 PM
Let's all enjoy the farce that is NCAA football this year.  I was laughing at the outrage over JF's "suspension".  For the casual fan it's important to distinguish the economics of football vs. basketball.  The NCAA generates all it's operating revenue through the basketball tournament contract.  They've almost become superfluous in football where ESPN and the power conferences have all the leverage with regional cable and ABC/ESPN duopoly.  The Big Ten and SEC and Pac 10 could just create their 20 team super conferences already, dump the NCAA as a governing body and become the professional league proper that they already are in football.  You think the NCAA had a say in JF's punishment?  Under the guise of still disciplining, they just did what the SEC and ESPN told them to do.  Farce farce farce.  Pay them already!

If that's true then why did Ohio State receive a much harsher punishment?  How about Dez Bryant?  It's clear that Johnny Manziel followed the Cam Newton blueprint...do everything in cash and leave no paper trail and the NCAA can't prove anything.
As for paying the football & basketball players...that would be illegal.  You can't pay some college athletes for playing but not others.  And the schools are not about to start paying athletes in sports that generate little to no revenue.
Dez Bryant is not Johnny Manziel or Cam Newton and OSU is not SEC.  Of course you can pay college players.  Right now there is an agreement that the NCAA is the governing body of Division I athletics and they are "amateur".  These athletes generate revenue and therefore are entitled to compensation if that is the agreement.  You are allowed to work while you are in college.  That is what they are doing.  If the NCAA doesn't govern, all those restrictions and bylaws over the athletes and of treating all sports alike are moot.  For those that generate revenue, they can pay them what is deemed market value.  If the SEC so chose, they could get out of the NCAA in time.  The O'Bannon case is merely the tip of the iceberg.

As you well know, Title IX is not an NCAA bylaw.  It is federal law.  If male athletes are paid, then female athletes would have the legal right to be paid as well.  Not just the revenue-producing women's hoops either...every sport that women play in college.

BH

Quote from: Tired Eyes on Aug 30, 2013, 09:36 PM

As you well know, Title IX is not an NCAA bylaw.  It is federal law.  If male athletes are paid, then female athletes would have the legal right to be paid as well.  Not just the revenue-producing women's hoops either...every sport that women play in college.

Paid by school would apply to title ix right?    But what about letting the players accept whatever endorsements and other payments they can get.     Why can't they be capitalists like the rest of us.   The school is already supplying the education, room, board and the best facilities and coaching in the world for free.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

davymac

Ahhh I hope the bulldawgs can do it tonight...biggest  game of the week!  :beer:

Ruckus

Quote from: BH on Aug 31, 2013, 12:03 AM

Paid by school would apply to title ix right?    But what about letting the players accept whatever endorsements and other payments they can get.     Why can't they be capitalists like the rest of us.   The school is already supplying the education, room, board and the best facilities and coaching in the world for free.
There are two ways around it, one much easier than the other.  The Olympics allow an exemption for sponsorships and endorsements and the NCAA can do the same.  JF would make millions a year and he deserves it, not A&M.  Similarly, so long as it is not the University paying them, you can circumvent Title IX.  The NCAA just has to stop snooping.

Or something like the SEC could become a non academic entity with regional football clubs representing the schools but the athletes won't be students but paid instead.  It would still serve it's primary function as a free minor leagues to the NFL while paying 18-22 year olds.

The best way that this will be resolved is if the NFL removes it's eligibility restriction (not gonna happen) or a viable professional league sprouts up in the US or abroad that gives 18 year olds the opportunity to pay for play as an option over going to a college program.

manonthemoon

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 31, 2013, 11:20 AM

There are two ways around it, one much easier than the other.  The Olympics allow an exemption for sponsorships and endorsements and the NCAA can do the same.  JF would make millions a year and he deserves it, not A&M.  Similarly, so long as it is not the University paying them, you can circumvent Title IX.  The NCAA just has to stop snooping.

Or something like the SEC could become a non academic entity with regional football clubs representing the schools but the athletes won't be students but paid instead.  It would still serve it's primary function as a free minor leagues to the NFL while paying 18-22 year olds.

The best way that this will be resolved is if the NFL removes it's eligibility restriction (not gonna happen) or a viable professional league sprouts up in the US or abroad that gives 18 year olds the opportunity to pay for play as an option over going to a college program.

While I do kind of believe that people should be able to profit from things like endorsements and autographs as a college kids, here's why that will not work.
Its all about the haves and the have nots, if you make it legal for kids to get money then you will have the big time donors of the bigger schools give kids money for all types of things and that will give some schools a competitive advantages.

I also don't like the idea of taking the sports away from the Universities as I think that is part of the whole allure of college athletics as you have alumni, like myself, who support the university and therefore support the athletic programs.  You seperate that and I think you will lose some attendance and revenue as I would be less likely to attend games etc.

While it is not entirely fair for the athletes, its not like they are forced to go to these schools and play sports.  I will also say that from my experience a lot of these athletes should be more than happy to accept a paid ride through college, which quite frankly a lot of them don't belong on a college campus from an academic point of view.  The classes I had with them when I was in school you could tell they were not the brightest crayons in the box and all of my experiences were with very easy entry level courses.  And considering the very few that make it to the pro league, they should be thankful to basically be given a college degree which should help them earn more money then they would have with just a basic hs diploma.
Alive or Just Breathing

Tired Eyes

That Georgia-Clemson game tonight was really exciting and fun to watch!  I was rooting for Georgia because I like going to Athens so much every year and I saw a game in Athens when I was a kid (UGA took Ole Miss behind the woodshed) but congrats to Clemson on the win.

Ruckus

Quote from: Tired Eyes on Sep 01, 2013, 12:26 AM
That Georgia-Clemson game tonight was really exciting and fun to watch!  I was rooting for Georgia because I like going to Athens so much every year and I saw a game in Athens when I was a kid (UGA took Ole Miss behind the woodshed) but congrats to Clemson on the win.
Great game!  Bill, thanks for coaching me up on Title IX.  I love the "as you know" because I clearly don't.  I haven't thought about the 3 prong test in quite some time :grin:

scosby2

glad bama has a week off to work out some kinks...we'll be fine though...you play like that and still win by 25...you've been doing something right...and wrong

ericm

Quote from: manonthemoon on Aug 31, 2013, 08:06 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 31, 2013, 11:20 AM

While I do kind of believe that people should be able to profit from things like endorsements and autographs as a college kids, here's why that will not work.
Its all about the haves and the have nots, if you make it legal for kids to get money then you will have the big time donors of the bigger schools give kids money for all types of things and that will give some schools a competitive advantages.

I also don't like the idea of taking the sports away from the Universities as I think that is part of the whole allure of college athletics as you have alumni, like myself, who support the university and therefore support the athletic programs.  You seperate that and I think you will lose some attendance and revenue as I would be less likely to attend games etc.

While it is not entirely fair for the athletes, its not like they are forced to go to these schools and play sports.  I will also say that from my experience a lot of these athletes should be more than happy to accept a paid ride through college, which quite frankly a lot of them don't belong on a college campus from an academic point of view.  The classes I had with them when I was in school you could tell they were not the brightest crayons in the box and all of my experiences were with very easy entry level courses.  And considering the very few that make it to the pro league, they should be thankful to basically be given a college degree which should help them earn more money then they would have with just a basic hs diploma.

It seems to me colleges get the bulk of their cash for sports from the television revenue created by football, and basketball. It looks like this  money sustains all their athletic programs well enough. How about they take some of the dough generated by merchandise, and split it up among all their athletes? The same amount to every athlete so they're in compliance with Tile IX.  It might not be much, but it will be a bit of a stipend, and more than the 0 they're  receiving now.

Seems kind of hypocritical to me for schools to be able to sell a jersey with a player's name, and  number on it, profit from that, but the athlete gets none of that $$. If they try to sell one of their own jerseys, or barters with it, they're subject to suspension, or declared ineligible.

I would think the schools get enough revenue from TV to be able to share the merchandise revenue with the athletes.
"Where's Jim going?"

TheBigChicken

I would personally like to thank the Georgia Bulldogs for losing their 1st game. You guys usually wait a few games to drop a stinker...Now for the love of God....fire Mark Richt....send him off to be an offensive co-ordinator like he was at FSU...we dont need a choir boy in Athens any longer...please send us a "Saban-like" killer...this Saturday is South Carolina...cant wait to see Spurrier make camp in Richts head....cant wait to see GA in the Poulan Weed Wacker Bowl played on Dec.14... :drum:...Mr.Richt you SUCK
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

iLikeBeer

Clearly, Johnny Fuckup really learned his lesson from having to sit a whole half for his discretions...  I really wish someone would just cold cock that cocky SOB!  I mean the whole taunting that dude from Rice with his autograph thing?  And then blowing off his coach on the sideline after he was flagged for it?  If there is anyone that is in need of a good old fashioned ass kicking, it is Johnny Manziel...

Ruckus

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 03, 2013, 08:16 PM
Clearly, Johnny Fuckup really learned his lesson from having to sit a whole half for his discretions...  I really wish someone would just cold cock that cocky SOB!  I mean the whole taunting that dude from Rice with his autograph thing?  And then blowing off his coach on the sideline after he was flagged for it?  If there is anyone that is in need of a good old fashioned ass kicking, it is Johnny Manziel...
:grin: He was being taunted all game by Rice and they were doing the signature stuff to him first.  I loved him doing the cash thing as a huge FU to the NCAA.  They had no actual proof and besides, that same memorabilia dealer had signed Jadaveon Clowney, Braxton Miller, and Teddy Bridgewater stuff for sale as well.  Of course those three just donated their signatures :grin:  He's gonna get cheapshotted all season and that may be a problem but I think it's refreshing.

EDIT:  I agree with you about him blowing off Sumlin.  It didn't look good but I just think he's a fiery dude who feels taken advantage of by everyone around him and is just pissed off. 

I'll say this over and over but it's amusing how sports fans get so outraged over things the media creates.  You build him up, make him a hero, then create controversy to make the story even bigger.  The formula works every time and the only victims are the unpaid players.  I don't feel as bad for professional athletes subjected to this but it's just sick and twisted.  I'll just keep watching the games. 

Go Illini football! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Jon T.

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 03, 2013, 11:51 PM
:grin: He was being taunted all game by Rice and they were doing the signature stuff to him first.  I loved him doing the cash thing as a huge FU to the NCAA.  They had no actual proof and besides, that same memorabilia dealer had signed Jadaveon Clowney, Braxton Miller, and Teddy Bridgewater stuff for sale as well.  Of course those three just donated their signatures :grin:  He's gonna get cheapshotted all season and that may be a problem but I think it's refreshing.

EDIT:  I agree with you about him blowing off Sumlin.  It didn't look good but I just think he's a fiery dude who feels taken advantage of by everyone around him and is just pissed off. 

I'll say this over and over but it's amusing how sports fans get so outraged over things the media creates.  You build him up, make him a hero, then create controversy to make the story even bigger.  The formula works every time and the only victims are the unpaid players.  I don't feel as bad for professional athletes subjected to this but it's just sick and twisted.  I'll just keep watching the games. 

I didn't like that cocksucker last year, before it was cool to not like that cocksucker.  :cool:

iLikeBeer

Taken advantage of?  LOL!  If there's one thing that pisses me off more than anything about this douchebag it's how he whines about the problems he now faces due to his sudden rise in fame.  Poor wittle Johnny can't go to class because he's mobbed on the aTm campus.  Poor wittle Johnny can't go out in public because he'll get mobbed for autographs.  Yet, I don't hear his sorry ass whining when he's going to play Pebble, getting front row tickets to NBA Finals games or getting flown to Canada to catch a Drake concert.   :rolleyes:

If he's going to act like a prima donna, he's got to take the good with the bad and he doesn't seem to know how to do that!

Tracy 2112

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 04, 2013, 12:04 PM

Taken advantage of?  LOL!  If there's one thing that pisses me off more than anything about this douchebag it's how he whines about the problems he now faces due to his sudden rise in fame.  Poor wittle Johnny can't go to class because he's mobbed on the aTm campus.  Poor wittle Johnny can't go out in public because he'll get mobbed for autographs.  Yet, I don't hear his sorry ass whining when he's going to play Pebble, getting front row tickets to NBA Finals games or getting flown to Canada to catch a Drake concert.   :rolleyes:

If he's going to act like a prima donna, he's got to take the good with the bad and he doesn't seem to know how to do that!

How can someone bother you this much who doesn't even know you exist?
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Tracy 2112

And then blowing off his coach on the sideline after he was flagged for it? 

here's what coach Sumlin had to say about that:

He also brushed off the notion that Manziel disrespected him on Saturday by not responding when he talked to him following his fourth-quarter unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

''When he came off the field, I basically made two statements to him, neither one of which should he have responded to,'' Sumlin said. ''They weren't questions. They were direct statements and I can't repeat them right now. What's amazing to me is the perception that he ignored me. The worst thing that could have happened was for him to reply based on what I told him.''
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 04, 2013, 12:20 PM

He also brushed off the notion that Manziel disrespected him on Saturday by not responding when he talked to him following his fourth-quarter unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

''When he came off the field, I basically made two statements to him, neither one of which should he have responded to,'' Sumlin said. ''They weren't questions. They were direct statements and I can't repeat them right now. What's amazing to me is the perception that he ignored me. The worst thing that could have happened was for him to reply based on what I told him.''
Well there's some spin there as well.  But enough of logic and understanding.  Outrage!  Outrage! Outrage!  Exclamation points!  Caps lock at a 20 year old that is being run through the psychological gauntlet in a way none of us could understand.

Ruckus

Quote from: Jon T. on Sep 04, 2013, 11:46 AM

I didn't like that cocksucker last year, before it was cool to not like that cocksucker.  :cool:
Are you brewing Miller Lite again as well sportster?

ericm

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 04, 2013, 12:20 PM

I saw that too Tracy. Probably something along the lines of...."you're done, sit the fuck down, and I don't want to hear another  fucking word outta you".

Sumlin also went on to criticize the media, and desk jockeys for thinking they knew anything that was said, and putting their own opinions on that scene out there as factual.

We have something similar here in the NYC area going on with the Yanks. Girardi had mentioned in an interview that he would talk to Mariano Rivera a couple of months into the offseason to discuss how he felt when he retired, and just give him some input to make sure Mo didn't have any 2nd thoughts, and was comfortable in his decision. Now it's a nationwide story that Girardi wants to talk Mo out of retiring.  :rolleyes: I'm sure he'd like to have him back, but he never even hinted at trying to talk him into coming back.
"Where's Jim going?"