11 Years Ago Today... Split EP

Started by johnnYYac, Apr 02, 2012, 11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Happy 10th Anniversary to the Split EP (w/Songs Ohia). 

Track listing

1. O Is the One That Is Real
2. How Do You Know
3. Come Closer
4. The Year in Review- 'cause everyone wants to hear the album again really fast!
5. Translation - Songs Ohia

Album notes

On a split release with Songs: Ohia, Louisville's My Morning Jacket put their best foot forward. With My Morning Jacket providing four of the disc's five songs, Jimi James' echoing and emotive voice takes control immediately, first on the steady and fiery "O Is the One That Is Real." They slow down the pace on "How Do You Know," with James' high-pitched croon again taking charge of the song's reins. The airy sound on "Come Closer" is followed by "The Year in Review," which consists entirely of the first three songs on fast-forward speed. Songs: Ohia's Jason Molina chimes in with the disc's last cut, "Translation," which clocks in at over ten minutes. Molina croons over a subdued arrangement. Will Oldham provides some distant, echoing backing vocals to the haunting and startling track. Both bands have a bluesy/folky feel to their sound. While this disc doesn't show either at their best, it does serve as an adequate introduction to each band. The disc was the third of Jade Tree Records' split-release series. It was released in early 2002. ~ Stephen Cramer

:thumbsup:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

bluesky

Happy Anniversary indeed! This EP, Chapter 1 The Sandman Cometh and Early Recordings Chapter 2: Learning were the first 3 things I went out and bought at Other Music when I first heard MMJ.

blucas

2002 was a good year...back to back EP releases less than a month apart (not to mention, the last time until recently we weren't in a war).  Let's hope the 10th anniversary of Split and Chocolate and Ice treats us to some similar goodies from the most gracious and appreciative band in the world!
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

aMillionDreams

Quote from: blucas on Apr 02, 2012, 04:15 PM
2002 was a good year...back to back EP releases less than a month apart (not to mention, the last time until recently we weren't in a war).  Let's hope the 10th anniversary of Split and Chocolate and Ice treats us to some similar goodies from the most gracious and appreciative band in the world!

That was also the year Patrick and Beau joined the band.  The band was gearing up for It Still Moves and releasing these EPs to keep us fans at bay in the meantime.  Good year, indeed!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

blucas

Patrick and Bo...now THAT is a milestone worth noting!

johnnYYac

I've got Patrick joining in May of '02, but didn't Bo and Carl join at the same time in January of '04?

Source: "1891"

blucas

Things that you know to be true but are still hard to wrap your head around:

1.  Gravity
2.  The fact that Eli Manning has won 2 superbowls
3.  OBH with no Carl

johnnYYac

Let's bump this thread...  Another year has passed since the 10th anniversary.  In that time, quite recently in fact, we lost the founding member of the other part of this split EP, Jason Molina of Songs: Ohia.  I'm not familiar with his music, but can always count of the forum to make it abundantly clear he was a creative force, so...

:beer: R.I.P. Jason Molina and Happy 11th Birthday to a great little EP, born this date in 2002.

Dillsnufus

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

johnnYYac

tippitoes22

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Apr 02, 2013, 06:46 PM
wish it was on vinyl

HELL YEH! The split on Vinyl!?! Been hoping for that since I first heard it. (That and a decent remastering of chocolate and ice) Don't care what COLOR they are...just want em ta make my speakers sing as sweet as the songs, referring to C&I
As far as I know The Splits never seen wax... Oh and I want T5 on vinyl... And, awe hell, if I'm wishing...World peace too :)
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

Crispy

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Apr 03, 2014, 02:53 AM
wish it was on vinyl

HELL YEH! The split on Vinyl!?! Been hoping for that since I first heard it.
(That and a decent remastering of chocolate and ice)
Don't care what COLOR they are...
( Just wann em ta make make speakers sing as sweet as the songs, referring to C&I)
. As far As I know the splits never seen wax... Oh and I want T5 on vinyl... And, awe hell, if I'm wishing...World peace too :)

Oh man, a vinyl Split would make my day.

Have you heard the 2013 pressing of C&I? I think it sounds quite a bit better than previous versions. But, the ultimate issue could be that it was recorded in a barn.

As for T5...keep dreaming, I know I am. World peace too.

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

headhunter

Quote from: Crispy on Apr 03, 2014, 10:49 AM
Quote from: tippitoes22 on Apr 03, 2014, 02:53 AM
wish it was on vinyl

HELL YEH! The split on Vinyl!?! Been hoping for that since I first heard it.
(That and a decent remastering of chocolate and ice)
Don't care what COLOR they are...
( Just wann em ta make make speakers sing as sweet as the songs, referring to C&I)
. As far As I know the splits never seen wax... Oh and I want T5 on vinyl... And, awe hell, if I'm wishing...World peace too :)

Oh man, a vinyl Split would make my day.

Have you heard the 2013 pressing of C&I? I think it sounds quite a bit better than previous versions. But, the ultimate issue could be that it was recorded in a barn.

As for T5...keep dreaming, I know I am. World peace too.

I gave up on World Peace but a T5 release is something I keep hoping for.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

johnnYYac

TOOGANS inability to address the T5 question in the thread re: new Milwaukee show download makes me wonder if this is on the back burner or not on any burner at all. :undecided:  Perhaps its not in the cards, but I thought they hinted at a comprehensive T5 release a few years ago.  It would be nice to get a final idea on whether or not it will happen.  We're a patient bunch, to a point...