Jim James will be on Letterman on 6/19/2013 - Wednesday

Started by Mr. White, Jun 13, 2013, 12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

I found this Tweet on The Steam Engine (with this link to Jim's Interweb site).

Watch @jimjames on the @LateShow w/ David Letterman next Wednesday 6/19! Details: http://t.co/VJNxgzry5i

http://jimjames.com/news/157073
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Jackets N Pones

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Mr. White

BigHerm

APR

So cool the background lighting rig is one they have been using on the entire tour.  I don't think that's typical for Letterman... bands bringing on their own stage decorations, lighting, etc.

Colfax

Paul and company were playing Cult of Personality right before JJ went on. I'm dying for MMJ to play that song.

gluvmiller

Quote from: APR on Jun 20, 2013, 09:34 PM
So cool the background lighting rig is one they have been using on the entire tour.  I don't think that's typical for Letterman... bands bringing on their own stage decorations, lighting, etc.

Funny you mentioned that. I just watched this on my DVR last night and noticed the same this.

I also had trouble reading Dave if he liked it or he was just being nice. I loved it, but I always get curious about the impression left on the hosts of these late night shows when an artist performs that isn't mainstream.

jonmayo15

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jun 21, 2013, 09:39 AM
Funny you mentioned that. I just watched this on my DVR last night and noticed the same this.

I also had trouble reading Dave if he liked it or he was just being nice. I loved it, but I always get curious about the impression left on the hosts of these late night shows when an artist performs that isn't mainstream.
Well judging from their reactions, we know Conan really enjoyed "One Big Holiday" when it was performed back on "Late Night" and Jimmy Fallon certainly enjoyed Jim's performance of "A New Life".

Letterman is more difficult to gauge I agree, but I do think he liked it.

gluvmiller

Yeah, I remember Jim was on multiple nights of Falon with the Roots. From what I remember he played a tune one nihgt and the next night he just hung out sitting in with the Roots.

Colfax

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jun 21, 2013, 09:39 AM
Quote from: APR on Jun 20, 2013, 09:34 PM

Dave absolutely loved it. Especially since his heartattack a few years ago, he's become really straight forward, no BS type. He don't blow smoke up asses.

Mr. White

I think they did a great job on Letterman the other night! The only thing I was slightly disappointed with was the length of Jim's guitar jam at the end of the song. I was really hoping for a longer solo, not as long as on tour, but a bit more than what we got. Overall, Jim and his band did a wonderful job. As far as Dave liking it or not, I'm sure he loved it. I watch Letterman every single night (and have been since his show started when I was in high school in the early 1980's - only missed a significant number of shows while serving in the Navy for 6 years in the late 1980's and early 1990's), and he doesn't bullshit much these days. If he doesn't like the band or act, he will simply thank them for coming and say good night. Also, I have noticed over the years that Dave will sometimes ask the drummer if his kit was a rental or if it was theirs. He then usually complements them on their drum kit either way. However, Dave seemed taken away by Jim's performance. He did seem a little "stand-offish" and not really sure what to do when Jim went in for the quick hug to the body. I think Jim views Dave as a type of father figure who may not be around for us much longer, like I do. Dave has been doing it for more than 30 years, and it is easy to see that he will probably quit within the next 5 years (if he stays that long), and Jim knows it.

weeniebeenie

I loved it! I get the impression Dave did too. He seems to have pretty good taste.
How loud can silence get?

manonthemoon

Quote from: weeniebeenie on Jun 23, 2013, 09:12 AM
I loved it! I get the impression Dave did too. He seems to have pretty good taste.

In what interns?
Alive or Just Breathing

Fully

weeniebeenie

Quote from: Fully on Jun 23, 2013, 08:52 PM
Quote from: manonthemoon on Jun 23, 2013, 06:53 PM
Quote from: weeniebeenie on Jun 23, 2013, 09:12 AM

In what interns?

Snort!!
It seems that he likes good music. Is that better?
How loud can silence get?

terry k

you're right, Jim's guitar solo was short. Time constraints i guess. Did anyone else notice how distorted and muffled Ray's guitar was at the end?