Your first MMJ tunes?

Started by butternut, Aug 17, 2011, 06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinShootin

I didn't hear them until I heard the cover of It makes no difference.  I was so impressed I bought tickets to see them right away after one song.  My future wife was pissed!  They are now one of her favorite bands and we danced to "thank you too!" at our wedding.

manonthemoon

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Aug 19, 2011, 09:05 AM
Quote from: manonthemoon on Aug 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
The first time I heard of the band was while watching austin city limits in early 06 when they had a set list of:

Golden
Gideon
What a Wonderful Man
Dondante
Anytime

Was hooked afterwards and flew to SF to see them at the filmore.

I shared the same experience!   :beer:

This was back before I had a DVR so I was taping ACL every week on my VCR.  Usually I'd watch that week's show and record over it the next week.  But when I saw that MMJ performance, I was like, who in the hell is this band and how have I not stumbled across them sooner???  I was mesmorized at how they could go from completely rocking out in a song to an extended jam in another song to just being complely stripped down in another song.  Their diversity is what completly hooked me in and I have been obsessed with this band ever since my first viewing of that ACL performance!   I wore my VHS tape out watching it so many times!  8)

And it only took me 4 years after seeing that ACL show to finally see them live!  And after finally seeing them live for the first time last summer, I can say my obsession went to a whole new level!   :D   :thumbsup:

Yeah after the ACL episode I searched youtube for clips and discovered the epic Conan performance.  Gotta say I think it may be the best late night performance ever, you could tell Conan was into it.
Alive or Just Breathing

DaFunkyPrecedent

Run Thru live from Fillmore NYE run (Night 1)...I was like "if they can do that..what else can they do"...then I went to the NYE show and have been hooked ever sense.   
God damn those shaky knees.

ynwa

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Aug 18, 2011, 08:26 AM
Whatever song they opened with at field day festival in '03, I don't remember. The first songs I heard and recognized as mmj were Lowdown and Bermuda Highway.

GHOSTS - wish i knew ya then!

a friend of mine strongly recommended that i check 'em out.  i believe i downloaded/listened to bermuda highway, lowdown & hopefully & was hooked instantly.  went out & bought AD shortly following that.

saw 'em a month or so later @ field day oh, that was a challenging event.  my partner in crime kept wanting to delay heading over due to the weather but i was finally like "welp, i've got the tickets and i'm getting there in time for mmj.  i'm NOT missing this band.  i don't care what you do..."  i don't remember exactly what they played, but when my friend who'd recommended them to me asked how they were the next day, i'm sure i said something like, "DUDE.  i don't even know... it was crazy.  there was hair flying everywhere, puddle stomping... they. were. AWESOME!"

sadly, there's no known setlist from that show & the festival itself was labeled a disaster.  but i found this teaser, i believe it's PWW, and it's a brief example of the AWESOMENESS:

My Morning Jacket 
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

ttman88

ughh

it all started with a mix my friend gave me for a road trip, number seven was Lay low, then i bought Z, my mind was blown by dondante

fell in love with smokin and strangulation.

say um at sasquatch and jim james tickled my ear drums

and now they top my list
teet teet

mtngurl

Quote from: ynwa on Aug 26, 2011, 01:55 PM
Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Aug 18, 2011, 08:26 AM
Whatever song they opened with at field day festival in '03, I don't remember. The first songs I heard and recognized as mmj were Lowdown and Bermuda Highway.

GHOSTS - wish i knew ya then!

a friend of mine strongly recommended that i check 'em out.  i believe i downloaded/listened to bermuda highway, lowdown & hopefully & was hooked instantly.  went out & bought AD shortly following that.

saw 'em a month or so later @ field day oh, that was a challenging event.  my partner in crime kept wanting to delay heading over due to the weather but i was finally like "welp, i've got the tickets and i'm getting there in time for mmj.  i'm NOT missing this band.  i don't care what you do..."  i don't remember exactly what they played, but when my friend who'd recommended them to me asked how they were the next day, i'm sure i said something like, "DUDE.  i don't even know... it was crazy.  there was hair flying everywhere, puddle stomping... they. were. AWESOME!"

sadly, there's no known setlist from that show & the festival itself was labeled a disaster.  but i found this teaser, i believe it's PWW, and it's a brief example of the AWESOMENESS:

My Morning Jacket
Liz that clip was AWESOME! I love when they all had big hair, it reminds me of Metallica back in the day.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

Marcelo

Wordless Chorus did it for me, Jim's voice on that one gets me everytime

gardenparty

Some time in 03'

Just One Thing
Bermuda Highway
One Big Holiday

I liked the songs quite a bit but didn't really dive in until late '05ish

blucas

My induction was in 2004 with "at dawn", specifically the songs PWW, Bermuda Highway, At Dawn, Hopefully and Just Because I Do.  I was drawn to the dreamy, trippy, lilting sound...little did I know at the time that they also had the ability to blow my face off.
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

Honest Man

The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

weeniebeenie

Off The Record was playing on a music channel and I really liked it so I wrote down the name of the band on a piece of paper but I lost the paper and couldn't remember the song. Then two years later I watched MMJ on Picture in a frame, bought Z and figured it all out.
How loud can silence get?

aMillionDreams

I lucked out and went to a show with Jim's sister in 99.  They opened with The Dark, also played Tyrone.  Instantly hooked.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

pattilovesmmj

My first experience with mmj was in 2006.  My friend put Golden on - told me it was his new favorite song. Well...I played "it still moves" so many times, I had to re-purchase the cd 5 times from scratching it by playaing it so much.  I'm a 50 year old housewife and mother of 2 college kids and have seen every band from Zeppelin to U2, and My morning jacket is my favorite band.   It's been all love for everyone in the band and their music moves my soul.  I have seen them 4 times in Chicago and 1 time in Milwaukee.  My dream show is the MMJ & BoH show in MSG

johnnYYac

Quote from: pattilovesmmj on Oct 10, 2011, 05:42 PM
My first experience with mmj was in 2006.  My friend put Golden on - told me it was his new favorite song. Well...I played "it still moves" so many times, I had to re-purchase the cd 5 times from scratching it by playaing it so much.  I'm a 50 year old housewife and mother of 2 college kids and have seen every band from Zeppelin to U2, and My morning jacket is my favorite band.   It's been all love for everyone in the band and their music moves my soul.  I have seen them 4 times in Chicago and 1 time in Milwaukee.  My dream show is the MMJ & BoH show in MSG
Does that mean you're attending?  See you there!  :thumbsup:

And pre-show at Stout NYC!  :beer:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

peafunk31

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 10, 2011, 05:44 PM
Quote from: pattilovesmmj on Oct 10, 2011, 05:42 PM
Does that mean you're attending?  See you there!  :thumbsup:

And pre-show at Stout NYC!  :beer:

Yes! If you are able to attend the MSG show, do not hesitate! Guaranteed to be a party the likes of which you will never forget. Added bonus for the incredible people that will be there for the pre-show party & the actual show itself. 8)
Homer no function beer well without.

Race of Robots

The first I ever heard of them was the first night in which I tripped acid (I had done chocolates, but up til then, the few doses I had gotten were all bunk). A friend and I drove to Jackson, MS to see Moe. at Hal and Mal's. We took the doses, bomb, took in the show, and went back to a friend's house at which we were staying. This friend had the weekend prior just gone to Langerado (07) and was relaying the story of his first My Morning Jacket show; whatever in the fuck that was. He continued by saying they opened with his favorite song which he happened to have a live version of on his ipod. My other friend and the host, still vigorously tripping, wandered around the kitchen while he put on the song. And then he did it.... He fucking played it. Regardless of the fact that I was tripping and all good things sound better, I still consider it my best and most memorable single moment of music experience ever (most memorable show being the first time I saw them; I maintained an unerring smile for the 2 and a half hours during and following said show). The song played out to rapt ears. I had no idea something this amazing existed, and I considered myself, not a snob of music, but hard to please. This had me smiling and more excited than the concert I had been at just an hour ago. And then it ended. And my face drooped. I ran to the ipod and started it from the beginning and listened again. This became the conceit of the night. We probably played it 15 times that night and jammed just as hard to the 15th time as the first. It was over that night. There was no, nor ever would there be any other band.

Race of Robots

It was OBH, by the way. I'm guessing that's, like, crucial to this thread.

Willard1979

I was at a Borders store, and they had ISM as one of their reccomendations.  Im not sure  why i picked it, but after hearing Master Plan, i HAD to have the album!  From then on, i was hooked.  :wink: