Duane Allman influence on MMJ

Started by musicforthesoul, Jan 23, 2006, 02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicforthesoul

so during the incredible outro to lay low, i notice a duane allman signature riff from carl.  i was wondering if mmj publicly stated the allman brothers band or duane allman specfically.  im a huge abb fan and a newbie to my morning jacket who is becoming addicted to the great music.

thanks

ps- glad to finally post here

Jaimoe

I've never heard MMJ single out the Allmans as an influence. But, almost every band that has southern rock leanings has to be influenced directly or indirectly by the AllmanBrothers.

loper

My fav Duane Allman performance is on Boz Scaggs' definitive version of Loan Me A Dime.

Jaimoe

QuoteMy fav Duane Allman performance is on Boz Scaggs' definitive version of Loan Me A Dime.

That's one of my favourites too, but the horn mix from the Duane Allman Anthology drowns out some of Duane's best solo parts at the end jam.

loper

That's one of my favourites too, but the horn mix from the Duane Allman Anthology drowns out some of Duane's best solo parts at the end jam.

I've got the original album (Boz Scaggs - Atlantic 781 545-2) both on CD and vinyl and it seems OK on them.  ???

ycartrob

QuoteMy fav Duane Allman performance is on Boz Scaggs' definitive version of Loan Me A Dime.

I heard that song for the first time and was 2 minutes from home and had to drive around til it was over so I could hear who it was. Got it now on the Duan Allman Anthology.

Uh-Maze-Ing  :o

saki

Yeah...I thought I heard a Duane Allman riff from Lay Low.  I  and there's another one...actually on "one big holiday" that  sounds like "Layla."  Well you know the solo parts at least...

Duane Allman is the shit!!!!

RIP 1946-1971

Jaimoe

Quote I  and there's another one...actually on "one big holiday" that  sounds like "Layla."  Well you know the solo parts at least...

Duane Allman is the shit!!!!

RIP 1946-1971

Duane admitted to lifting the main Layla riff off of Howlin' Wolf. So, MMJ have some Wolf flowing through their veins. That's pretty cool in my books.

ycartrob

Duane admitted to lifting the main Layla riff off of Howlin' Wolf. So, MMJ have some Wolf flowing through their veins. That's pretty cool in my books.

I believe it all starts with the blues.

MMJ_fanatic

How could they not adore Duane?
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

jrat

duane allman aided in my conception, so im forever indebted to him. the "live at  fillmore east" is awesome(stole it from my dad, actually i stole all his CD's and LP's). hes now interested in hearing these guys, although hes pure blues guitar fanatic, im sure he can find some sweet songs smoking a joint around the campfire,10 deep in a 12 pack. if not, then he surely hes died.
wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream - pink floyd

Drew

Actually, Duane lifted the Layla riff from one of the Kings, Freddy or Albert, I forget which one, or the song for that matter.

But anyone who sings rock n roll music has The Wolf streaming through their veins. The man was a fuckin beast on the mic.

Jaimoe

Actually, Duane lifted the Layla riff from one of the Kings, Freddy or Albert, I forget which one, or the song for that matter.

But anyone who sings rock n roll music has The Wolf streaming through their veins. The man was a fuckin beast on the mic.

Yes, thanks for that. I think it was Albert King. I mixed-up Jeff Beck lifting a Wolf lick on Beck's Truth album with Duane and Layla.

GO4IT

I heard some selections from Duane's recently-released anthology - Skydog - last night on WTMD.  Lots of great stuff including a great rendition of The Weight with Aretha.  This was the show I listened to last night:  http://www.npr.org/2013/07/04/198395837/galadrielle-allman-on-her-fathers-work-in-skydog

Gotta get this.  Anyone else been listening to it?  I think the initial set of CDs has sold out. They are also doing a survey to see if there is interest in a limited edition 14-piece "high-end vinyl" version of the collection for $300-400: http://skydogbox.com/

Here's a pix of his daughter Galadrielle who helped put the 7-disc set together: http://musicofourheart.me/2013/03/02/skydog-the-duane-allman-retrospective-box-set/
The picture is taken by Amilie Rothschild.  She's holding a picture of her Dad taken by Amilie at the Filmore East's last concert, June 27, 1971.  How fitting that he closed down the most influential venue in the history of rock, IMHO (along with the Fillmore West).  If you want to learn more about the Fillmore East and it's amazing run from March of '68, I would highly recommend Amilie's book of concert pix. The complete list of concerts at the back is mind-blowing:
http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/1560252790

I gotta think that Duane and the rest of the Brothers had some significant influence on Jim and MMJ.

Colfax

Quote from: musicforthesoul on Jan 23, 2006, 02:30 AM
so during the incredible outro to lay low, i notice a duane allman signature riff from carl.  i was wondering if mmj publicly stated the allman brothers band or duane allman specfically.  im a huge abb fan and a newbie to my morning jacket who is becoming addicted to the great music.

thanks

good discussion. Glad you're here.

Without repeating others on what is a probable influence, I'd just like to add to any fans of guitar to find the "jam" disc from the Derek & the Dominos box set. Eric came to an ABB show and was mesmerized by Duane's playing. So they went back to the studio and stayed up all night doing speedballs and trading licks. It's easily the best disc of music I've ever heard. Just 60some minutes of two of the greatest guitarists rocking back and forth.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Colfax on Jul 05, 2013, 05:08 PM
Quote from: musicforthesoul on Jan 23, 2006, 02:30 AM
so during the incredible outro to lay low, i notice a duane allman signature riff from carl.  i was wondering if mmj publicly stated the allman brothers band or duane allman specfically.  im a huge abb fan and a newbie to my morning jacket who is becoming addicted to the great music.

thanks

good discussion. Glad you're here.

Without repeating others on what is a probable influence, I'd just like to add to any fans of guitar to find the "jam" disc from the Derek & the Dominos box set. Eric came to an ABB show and was mesmerized by Duane's playing. So they went back to the studio and stayed up all night doing speedballs and trading licks. It's easily the best disc of music I've ever heard. Just 60some minutes of two of the greatest guitarists rocking back and forth.

Yeah, the jam disc from the Derek & the Dominos box-set is good. I wouldn't call it essential (it meanders too much), but well worth listening to. I love the ABB collaboration on "Jam IV" since you get to hear prime-time Dickey, Duane and Berry. I don't think Clapton has ever been as great as he was with Derek & the Dominos.

On a Duane-related note, I think his best non-Allmans song is "Please Be With Me" by Cowboy, from the Duane Allman Anthology Vol. I. There are other versions of this song, specifically the electric version on the Cowboy album and another one by Clapton, but the all-acoustic cut from the Anthology is a masterpiece and perhaps contains Duane's most heartbreaking slide work.

GO4IT

...and now this!:  http://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/song-of-the-south-dvd

First I have heard of this video, due out on Sept 3.  I must pre-order as it is hard to believe I will not love it.  Amazon has it also for pre-order.