Mast Stage
Old Crow Medicine Show

Jimmy "P" doing double duty at Forecastle
Checking cables and wires

Jimmy checking the drum kit

The String Cheese Incident

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

johnnYYac

Who is Jimmy P working for?  He wasn't with Jim in Portland ME and someone said he is no longer stage mgr for MMJ.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

EverythingChanges

Watch out folks, foxygen is going to amaze today.

Looks like the houndmouth boat show is 3 hours. Wonder if Jimmy will show up, or if it will be to late since he has a show tomorrow with americanarama.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

oistheone

Love seeing these shots, thanks for posting! Really wish I was there this year.

Forecastle has really become an amazing festival, and it looks like they're only getting better. I'll be back for sure!

Mr. White

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 13, 2013, 07:37 AM
Who is Jimmy P working for?  He wasn't with Jim in Portland ME and someone said he is no longer stage mgr for MMJ.

This is the first I have heard of this. The band he was helping set up was The String Cheese Incident. They were the headliners, and I was thinking Jimmy P was working the entire Forecastle Festival. I expected to see him setting up Jim's stage earlier tonight (last night), but Jimmy wasn't in sight.

EverythingChanges

So Jim closed with Let it Be, and it made me speechless.

Black keys sounded off. Very dull. Good thing I got to end the night on a ridiculous houndmouth set on the boat. They closed the show by going out I the audience with an acoustic guitar. Super awesome.

Mr. White

Here is Goin' To California by Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters at the Forecastle Festival at Riverfront Park in Louisville, Kentucky on July 14, 2013 on the banks of the Ohio. I recorded almost the whole song, but I stopped before the fade back in for the end. I was standing just to the left of the sound booth in the middle of the field but zoomed in enough to get only the stage. The video isn't the best, but the sound is pretty good.

Robert Plant - Goin' To California - Forecastle 2013 - Louisville, Kentucky - 7/14/2013

johnnYYac

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jul 13, 2013, 09:03 AM
So, any word on how their set went?  I gotta say, they have a lot of haters, but I really dig their albums and loved their set at Solid Sound.  Some crazy fun shit!

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Mr. White

My 18 year old second-cousin took this video footage of Alabama Shakes playing Hold On from the front row. They let photographers into the pit area between the stage and the fence for 2 to 3 songs for each act. That's whose heads and cameras kept popping up. The sound isn't great, but it's not bad either.

Alabama Shakes - Hold On Live at Forecastle 2013

Mr. White

Here is a short little bit of The Black Keys performing Little Black Submarines. I had to stop recording after about a minute and a half when the drums kicked in.

The Black Keys - Little Black Submarines - Forecastle 2013 - Louisville, Kentucky - 7/13/2013

Mr. White

Here is a quick story with pictures (and a news clip) about the severe weather alert that caused the half-evacuation of the Forecastle grounds (Waterfront Park) on day 2.

We got there early enough to get to about the 5th or 6th row back from the rail to see Shovels and Rope.

Our local news coverage (CBS) in Louisville

Forecastle Festival back underway after brief weather delay

Five minutes after Dawes was supposed to have started (4:30), they announce we had to evacuate the grounds and seek shelter. Since we were already down front, we took our time following the thousands between us and the entrance/exit out of the place. We were hoping the storm would pass quickly. They were telling people with day passes to make sure to get another replacement ticket before leaving. The crowd slowed down but was still heading out. We stopped right at the edge of the sidewalk near the overpass but still closest to the stage. When we saw people were walking in a line down the middle of the field, we knew it was time to try to reclaim our spots near the stage. A few people ran past us, so we took off too. We made it to the rail!

Empty field and people waiting under the overpass

These are from the rail (including the photographers and cameramen who got to be in front of us for 2 or 3 songs each set).

This last one is early during Jim's set.

(I will post pictures of Dawes, Alabama Shakes, Jim James, and The Black Keys later.)

EverythingChanges

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 15, 2013, 11:48 AM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jul 13, 2013, 09:03 AM
So, any word on how their set went?  I gotta say, they have a lot of haters, but I really dig their albums and loved their set at Solid Sound.  Some crazy fun shit!

They were more crazy than I was anticipating. A song or two in the singer told everyone to not take pictures, because he doesn't want to be on the Internet. Then on the next song, he was running on top of amps stacked 10 ft tall, and jumping off the stage. After another song, he crouched my the photographers in the front and told everyone to take pictures. He started running his hands all over his face and screaming.

As far as their love sound goes, they need to focus a bit more, but it still sounds good. They're young, they'll get better at that as time goes.

We met the drummer a little bit after the set, he told us they're based out of Bloomington Indiana, which I didn't know. I'm hoping they have a show in Bloomington this fall! Definitely worth watching.

Houndmouth's boat show was amazing as well. For their last song, they grabbed an acoustic guitar, headed out in the audience, and played the band.

e_wind

Oh, the Doors cover band? They were good. 
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

EverythingChanges

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 16, 2013, 10:08 AM
Oh, the Doors cover band? They were good.

Yeah he is very much like Jim Morrison.

Mr. White

After we waited out the partial evacuation of the Waterfront Park when they thought there was going to be bad weather, we got back up front for the remainder of the day. Here are a few photos of Dawes, who went on some time after 5:30 pm. (He was originally supposed to go on at 4:30, and then we had the rain delay, or should I say the lack of rain delay.) I had never seen or heard Dawes before Forecastle, and I can say I really enjoyed the show. They have a lot of talent.

Mr. White

Quote from: Mr. White on Jul 15, 2013, 11:26 AM
Here is Goin' To California by Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters at the Forecastle Festival at Riverfront Park in Louisville, Kentucky on July 14, 2013 on the banks of the Ohio. I recorded almost the whole song, but I stopped before the fade back in for the end. I was standing just to the left of the sound booth in the middle of the field but zoomed in enough to get only the stage. The video isn't the best, but the sound is pretty good.

Robert Plant - Goin' To California - Forecastle 2013 - Louisville, Kentucky - 7/14/2013

Here is another Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) song I recorded but hadn't planned on uploading and posting due to the sound being a bit loud at points. However, after watching it several times, I thought it was a pretty good document of when the heavy rains came in and ended Robert's set early by about 30 minutes. (At least we got an hour of Mr. Plant.) Plus, it's What Is And What Should Never Be!

Robert Plant - What Is And What Should Never Be - Forecastle 2013 - Louisville