Movin' Away > A New Life

Started by johnnYYac, Jul 30, 2013, 08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Well, tomorrow is my last day in New Hampshire. Everything is boxed and will load tomorrow. Thursday, me and Maddie (daughter 2 of 3) will drive 2 days to our new home in Iowa City. Michele will drive with Katherine and Lauren a day later.

With just my iPhone, I won't be on the forum as much until we get our stuff and live interweb, so I won't be able to update AmericanaramA setlists or post taping links for a while.

Perhaps one of the worst places a My Morning Jacket fan could move to is Iowa City, site of Jim's fateful stage fall in 2008. It cut the show, and the tour short.

One could say Iowa deserves a return from MMJ after only 7 songs in '08. I will agree and lead the cause for MMJ to help Jim face his demons. Also, I'll be there, so...

Movin' away,,, to start a new life. Wish us luck.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

LeanneP

Safe and happy travels to you all, good Sir!  Looking forward to hearing about the new adventure  :thumbsup:
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

ericm

Good luck John.  :beer:

Safe travels, and all the best in your new home, and city. 

Looking forward to the next time we get together wherever that may be, and hearing all about the new life. :wink:

"Where's Jim going?"

jaye

Good luck John!   Sounds like a great place to live. 

Crispy

Good luck to you and your family, John, I hope your move goes well, and I look forward to seeing you again at the next MMJ show in Iowa City!  :beer:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Mr. White

Be safe and report back when things settle out for you and your family.
Enjoy "...a new life to create".
My Morning Jacket - *Movin' Away* - Red Rocks (August 4, 2012)
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

bluesky

Best of luck John and family!!! Safe travel and adventures to come!!!!

ms. yvon

john, your family's move to iowa city will balance the city's ph and set the table for an MMJ return.  smooth travels and good snax along the way to all of you!  :kiss:

send up a flare when you get a bit settled to let us know how you're doing.  :thumbsup:
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?

Fully

Safe travels, John! Iowa will feel like home before you know it!

Taterbug

Safe Travels JY,  I think your gonna like Iowa.  Just be sure to say  whats up to  Malachai & Job.  You don't wanna get on their bad side.  Let me know how you like the deep fried stick of butter.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

iLikeBeer

Safe travels for your family John and good luck on your new life adventures in Iowa!   :beer:

manonthemoon

Good luck in the heartland John  :thumbsup:
Alive or Just Breathing

he.who.forgets

Safe travels to you and the family. Wishing you the best on your next chapter!
Cheers

Hawkeye

Here's to hoping you find my home-state agreeable!  From my experience there, the people are the best part...friendly folks for the most part.  As far as scenery and culture...it's not the greatest, but it could be worse.  Iowa City and Dubuque are the larger cities where I've spent the most time, and I'd be happy living in either one...of course I am a huge Hawkeyes fan so that factors in!  Yac, if you're looking for good beer selection, you NEED to check out John's Grocery in Iowa City.  Hands down, best selection of anywhere I've ever been in Iowa.  I think the micro-brew scene is starting to catch on there more, but it was pretty bad when I lived there...nothing like Asheville anyway!  Although my standards are high now, having lived in "Beer City USA."  If you want to check out the Mississippi, I can recommend Dubuque.  They have a new museum there, some decent parks overlooking the river, river walk, etc.  And if you head to Dubuque, Galena, IL is not far away.  Some nice little shops and restaurants there.  A lot of the rich folk from Chicago "get away" in Galena.  Good luck!  Next time I'm back home maybe we can catch a show or something.
We could.

johnnYYac

Thanks, Hawk. We'll have time to explore since the movers aren't expected to deliver until Tues. or Wed. We got a visitors' guide for Iowa City/Coralville/North Liberty that lists some local microbreweries.

We're about 6.5 hours to Cleveland right now, the approximate halfway point.

oistheone

Best of luck with the move and the new homebase Yac!

johnnYYac

Thanks, folks. We're halfway to Iowa City and just outside Cleveland. Since our stuff won't get delivered until next week, we're not in a hurry to reach our empty home, so we're hitting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum tomorrow. Our hotel includes two tickets, so it was destined to be...

BH

Quote from: johnnYYac on Aug 01, 2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks, folks. We're halfway to Iowa City and just outside Cleveland. Since our stuff won't get delivered until next week, we're not in a hurry to reach our empty home, so we're hitting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum tomorrow. Our hotel includes two tickets, so it was destined to be...

Nice adventure John!   Great bonding time with your daughter!    Stay safe and keep heading this way.   The midwest needs more YAC!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: johnnYYac on Aug 01, 2013, 09:42 PM

Have fun at the HOF John!  I see the Stones are on exhibit up there now so that should be cool for you!  Too bad you couldn't have gotten there when they had the Dead exhibit...