2004 "Short List" Nominees!!!!

Started by LaurieBlue, Aug 24, 2004, 03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1490520/20040824/franz_ferdinand.jhtml?headlines=true

Franz Ferdinand, the Killers, Wilco, Dizzee Rascal, Ghostface Killah, Loretta Lynn, PJ Harvey, TV on the Radio and My Morning Jacket are among the 73 artists nominated to the "Long List" for the 2004 Shortlist Music Prize.

The list, which will be whittled down to 10 finalists in late September, was selected by a panel of 20 "Listmakers" that features several prominent recording artists: Dashboard Confessional's Chris Carrabba, Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme, Jack Black, John Mayer, Norah Jones, the Black Eyed Peas' Will.I.Am, System of a Down's Serj Tankian, the Roots' Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson, the Cure's Robert Smith and others.

To be eligible for the prize, which has become an honor for outside-the-mainstream artists, albums must have been released between July 1, 2003 and June 30, 2004 and must not have been certified gold (for sales of more than 500,000 units) at the time of the nomination (see "John Mayer, Chris Carrabba, ?uestlove, Norah Jones Sign On For Shortlist Prize").

More than half of the nominees included in this year's Long List are from independent record labels, while 15 nominees hail from the U.K. The list also includes artists from 11 countries, including France (Phoenix, Air), Australia (the Sleepy Jackson), Mexico (Café Tacuba), Japan (Melt Banana) and Ireland (Simple Kid).

As interesting as the list itself are details about which Listmaker nominated which records. Norah Jones nominated albums by Devendra Banhart and Loretta Lynn. John Mayer tapped quirky singer Nellie McKay, while Serj Tankian chose Cape Verdean vocalist Cesaria Evora. Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson went for the innovative rock sounds of Wilco and TV on the Radio.

Also on the list are veterans David Bowie and Neil Young, as well as comparative newcomers Jem, the Fiery Furnaces, the Secret Machines and Iron & Wine. The final solo album from the late Clash singer Joe Strummer is also nominated.

MTV2, the project's television sponsor for the third year, will air a special including concert footage from the awards ceremony, while XM Satellite Radio, this year's radio sponsor, will award the winner with a check for $5,000.

The winner of the prize — which went to singer/songwriter Damien Rice for his album O last year, to N.E.R.D. in 2002, and to Sigur Rós in 2001 — will be announced during a multi-artist concert at the Wiltern in Los Angeles on November 10.

The 2004 "Long List," according to the Shortlist Organization:
TV on the Radio Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes
Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
Wrens - Meadowlands
PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Belle & Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Scarling - Sweet Heart Dealer
Oceansize - Effloresce
Keb' Mo' - Keep It Simple
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Bob Schneider - I'm Good Now
Patty Griffin - Impossible Dream
David Bowie - Reality
Muse - Absolution
Cesaria Evora - Voz D'Amor
Eagles of Death Metal - Peace Love Death Metal
Bebel Gilberto - Bebel Gilberto
Buckethead - Bucketheadland 2
Bad Acid Trip - Lynch the Weirdo
Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - Streetcore
Blonde Redhead - Misery Is a Butterfly
Phil Kline - Zippo Songs
Blanche - If We Can't Trust the Doctors
Ghostface Killah - The Pretty Toney Album
Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose
Neil Young - Greendale
Holly Golightly - Truly She Is None Other
Macy Gray - The Trouble With Being Myself
Cee-Lo - Cee-Lo Green Is the Soul Machine
Rufus Wainwright - Want One
Dizzee Rascal - Boy in Da Corner
Nellie McKay - Get Away From Me
Magnetic Fields - i
Patti Smith - Trampin'
Fiery Furnaces - Gallowsbird's Bark
The Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
Dead Prez - Revolutionary But Gangsta
Slum Village - Detroit Deli: A Taste of Detroit
Amel Larrieux - Bravebird
Josh Ritter - Hello Starling
Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing In the Hands
Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter - Oh, My Girl
Jem - Finally Woken
Juana Molina - Segundo
The Sleepy Jackson - Lovers
Café Tacuba - Cuatro Caminos
Non Prophets - Hope
A.C. Newman - The Slow Wonder
Teitur - Poetry & Aeroplanes
Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free
Air - Talkie Walkie
Ty - Upwards
Elbow - Cast of Thousands
Galactic - Ruckus
My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
Simple Kid - 1
Julieta Venegas - Si
Travis - 12 Memories
Gary Jules - Trading Snake Oil for Wolftickets
Van Hunt - Van Hunt
Snow Patrol - Final Straw
The Honorary Title - Anything Else But the Truth
Dios - Dios
Phoenix - Alphabetical
The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site
Keane - Hopes and Fears
Jaylib - Champion Sound
Melt Banana - Cell-Scape
Peaches - Fatherf---er
The Coral - Nightfreak and the Sons of Becker

sweatboard

My ten finalist.

Wilco
Muse
Eagles of Death Metal
Elbow
My Morning Jacket
Nevermind these are the only ones I've actually heard, Well, I've heard Snow Patrol but I don't know that I would nominate it for any list. Are the Secret Machines any good? I think I read something interesting about them.  I hope MMJ wins I know they could really use that Five Grand.  Five Grand? they give more than that to high school talent show winners.  
There's Still Time.........

Bermuda Highway Patrol

I would add:
Franz Ferdinand
Galactic
Buckethead
The Killers

and... um....

I guess either Jem or Air (but they are not really my style)

But the 1st four are pretty fun to listen to, at least.

marktwain

Blonde Redhead,
    Cee-lo Green, &
           Sleepy Jackson (MMJ made me a fan)
                  should be on the list as well.

And, is Bob Schneider Robert Schneider of the Apples in Stereo?  I knew he had a side project (Ulysses), but didn't know about a solo album.

I'd like to know what David Bowie would do w/ the $5000 check--blow his nose, probably.

I'd use it to buy these cd's.

Drunkre

The Magnetic Fields "i" album is gonna be friggin hard to beat.
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

dogandponyshow

How about GBV, The Rapture and The Wrens....

D.

LaurieBlue

QuoteAnd, is Bob Schneider Robert Schneider of the Apples in Stereo?  I knew he had a side project (Ulysses), but didn't know about a solo album.

http://www.bobschneidermusic.com/

I don't think that's the same one - This Bob Schneider is a (pretty decent) singer/songwriter from Austin/Texas.  Check out his website.  I think it was voted best artist/band website from cool site of the day --- or something like that.  It is pretty creative.

Anyway, I'm not affiliated in any way, but was just familiar with him.  Here's a bit more info:

Bob Schneider's 2004 release is I'm Good Now, which, according to his very cool new web site, refers to being dead. (Read Virginia's review of I'm Good Now.) The single "Come with Me Tonight" brought initial attention to the album with plenty of radio play. Following the amazing success of Lonelyland it seems clear that Bob Schneider has moved from the category of regional Austin musician to being a nationally known star.

In 1999, the Austin Music Award for Musician of the Year and Male Vocalist went to Scabs / Ugly Americans /Joe Rockhead lead vocalist Bob Schneider. In addition to albums from all the above mentioned groups currently selling, Schneider is also a solo act now, with a triple play of new albums starting with Songs Sung and Played on the Guitar.

Bob teamed up with Austin guitar great Mitch Watkins for Underneath the Onion Trees, an acoustic set of pieces much more laid back than anything he has done with the Scabs. This low key album is doing very well even with fans of Schneider's more raunchy work, which he now attributes to a youthful desire to be shocking and over the top.

Lonelyland (2001) is from another incredible collection of musicians - Bob Schneider, Bruce Hughes, David Boyle, Mike Longoria, and Stephen Bruton. Lonelyland is the album that sparked much of the current Bob Schneider buzz - that and his appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno to sing songs from the sound track of the Sandra Bullock flick Gun Shy.

Chills

A pity they won't win!
Only one well-respected 'member of the jury' selected It Still Moves(as you can see on the site).

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

LaurieBlue

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040909/dcth041_1.html

SHORTLIST MUSIC PRIZE: [premieres on Friday, September 17th, at 10 PM ET on XMU (Channel 43)] In a partnership based on a shared passion for quality new music and a desire to provide greater exposure to under-appreciated artists, XM is teaming with the critically-acclaimed Shortlist Organization to sponsor its 2004 Prize. XM's Shortlist programming kicks off next week with a special to coincide with the announcement of the 2004 Shortlist nominees. The program will feature the music of the nominees and exclusive live tracks and interviews. This fall, XM will broadcast a series of hour-long programs built- around individual Listmakers (judges) discussing "who deserves the Shortlist prize and why" with XM and its listeners. XM's Shortlist programming culminates in November with the exclusive, live broadcast from Los Angeles' historic Wiltern Theatre of the 2004 Awards concert featuring Shortlist nominees and special guests. Past recipients of the Shortlist Prize include N.E.R.D., Sigur Ros and last year's winner, Damien Rice. The 2004 prize will include a $10,000 check sponsored by XM and a future program broadcast on XM dedicated to showcasing the winner.

Sal Paradise

They're announcing the finalists today, right?
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

MMJ_fanatic

CC

"The 10 finalists are Air's "Talkie Walkie" (Astralwerks), Dizzee Rascal's "Boy in Da Corner" (Matador/XL), Franz Ferdinand's self-titled Domino/Epic debut, Ghostface Killah's "The Pretty Toney Album" (Def Jam), the Killers' "Hot Fuss" (Island), Loretta Lynn's "Van Lear Rose" (Interscope), Nellie McKay's "Get Away From Me" (Columbia), the Streets' "A Grand Don't Come for Free" (Vice), TV On The Radio's "Desparate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes" (Touch & Go) and Wilco's "A Ghost Is Born" (Nonesuch)."

peanut butter puddin surprise

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

MMJ_fanatic

EC

Hm.  Hmmmm.  Really?  Van Lear Rose over MMJ?  Hm.

It must be like an Academy Awards thing where people only vote for the albums they've heard or seen advertised.

Because, I mean, come ON!

Ah well.  They win here!!

dogandponyshow

Hate to say it but don't hate to say it... Van Lear Rose is a great album.  The tune Portland is great.  The new Wilco is below average.  Franz Ferdinand is tight...be seeing them this Friday...and the Killers album is good. Certainly bummed no MMJ

D.

EC

I agree that VLR is a great album.  But I don't think it's better than ISM.  It seems a little more experimental in form and with the duo than ISM, which is tight and more experienced in its wholistic value.

Anyhow, just my opine.  :)