Definitive versions of songs

Started by APR, Mar 09, 2014, 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APR

I got to thinking about MMJ after reading this incredible last sentence in the NY Times review of the Allman Brothers...

"But every now and then, especially in "True Gravity" and "Ain't Wastin' Time No More," I felt that I was hearing both real-time improvisation - the meaningful, textured, changeable, hypothetical kind - and a version of a song that might as well be definitive, the one on which to end your search." - Ben Ratliff.

That seems to happen often when listening Dondante, Steam Engine, PWW, and the longer songs.

What remarkable writing.  Succinctly says what I have subconsciously thought (and can't put into words) about great live performances. 

Anyone else on the same page as this writer? I'm thinking his concept in general, not specifically the Allmans, who I admittedly don't know much about other than their hits.

millerjustin

Quote from: APR on Mar 09, 2014, 09:48 PM
I got to thinking about MMJ after reading this incredible last sentence in the NY Times review of the Allman Brothers...

"But every now and then, especially in "True Gravity" and "Ain't Wastin' Time No More," I felt that I was hearing both real-time improvisation - the meaningful, textured, changeable, hypothetical kind - and a version of a song that might as well be definitive, the one on which to end your search." - Ben Ratliff.

That seems to happen often when listening Dondante, Steam Engine, PWW, and the longer songs.

What remarkable writing.  Succinctly says what I have subconsciously thought (and can't put into words) about great live performances. 

Anyone else on the same page as this writer? I'm thinking his concept in general, not specifically the Allmans, who I admittedly don't know much about other than their hits.

I think this is a fantastic turn of a phrase.  Also agree that MMJ has been pushing the limits and establishing definitive arrangements for the foundation songs in their catalogue - ie, the songs that set lists are built around like Dondante, Steam, PWW, War Begun and others.

It's hard to listen to any PWW prior to 2012 without remarking how much and how greatly the song has evolved through live performance.

Along this vein, I've found that the arrangements and sound quality for the 2012 Port Chester shows are a high bench mark that will be tough to beat.  OBH built on this with the Grateful Jacket songs with Bobby sitting in.  Seriously, will they ever top those moments and arrangements?  I hope they can (and that I'm there!), but damn. 

Of course, how can we complain at all about seeing our favorite band at an artistic peak?

What's in here won't disappear