Obsessed much?

Started by erinburk, Nov 19, 2013, 04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamison

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

My Morning Tube top

Quote from: Jamison on Jan 19, 2014, 01:33 PM
I love MMJ / Jim but my obsession is with Jerry Garcia. I understand what your saying when you ask folks if they have heard OF MMJ but try finding folks that are not your closest friends (folks that toured) that listen to GD or Jerry Garcia Band or any thing else with Jerry.  Its almost impossible to find anyone that really gets lost and found again in Jerry's voice.  Jim is the only other singer that has taken me away like Jerry does.  I hope that I don't sound like total lunatic but then again maybe other folks have had similar experiences.

The Jerry-> Jim connection is what pulled me in too. They are two completely different souls/ styles but somehow the connection is similar for me. I miss Jerry everyday and am Grateful something else has pulled the strings of my music soul in such an unexplained yet profound way!

MrWhippy

Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Jan 20, 2014, 05:49 PM
Quote from: Jamison on Jan 19, 2014, 01:33 PM
I love MMJ / Jim but my obsession is with Jerry Garcia. I understand what your saying when you ask folks if they have heard OF MMJ but try finding folks that are not your closest friends (folks that toured) that listen to GD or Jerry Garcia Band or any thing else with Jerry.  Its almost impossible to find anyone that really gets lost and found again in Jerry's voice.  Jim is the only other singer that has taken me away like Jerry does.  I hope that I don't sound like total lunatic but then again maybe other folks have had similar experiences.

The Jerry-> Jim connection is what pulled me in too. They are two completely different souls/ styles but somehow the connection is similar for me. I miss Jerry everyday and am Grateful something else has pulled the strings of my music soul in such an unexplained yet profound way!

As a deadhead since seeing my first show at 15 and logging over GD shows before Jerry died, the passion I have for MMJ is the closest thing I've felt to what I used to feel for the Dead.  Both in terms of the music and also the community around it.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

LB

Whenever I show a friend MMJ and they are "meh" or think I like them too much...

no you never gotta fight with me

tbear

Back to the Grateful Dead thing...

I have had several pretty solid affairs since the my Dead Head days (once a head, always a head). I love all things JW, listened to the Avett Bros allot, Radio-head, done Phish, gone to Bonnaroo 5 times, etc, etc. but I never thought there would be another band out there that would completely capture me like the Dead.

MMJ. Right there again. Its different, for sure, but there are so many similarities, and in some ways I connect with JJ and MMJ on a level that is more profound. Maybe I am just older.

Nothing will ever rival that feeling of a Dead show, that wonderful circus, but they were so hit and miss musically. That was part of the deal. That's why you just had to go again and again. You never knew when the absolute miracle was going to happen. But the Fat Man (god bless his sole) took such poor care of himself, it is tragic to think we never really got the best from him all the time. With JJ, he is so positive, so joyful and seemingly so well grounded, that you just know he is always in %100.

And the band? Fuck they rock.

Don't you ever turn it off.

Bulldog

Bear,

Agreed....I was fortunate enough to fall into the Dead in the mid 80's and have to say on a number of levels I had to time of my life seeing some of those shows including 87-89 at Alpine.

That said, one of my frustrations until recently is there are sooo few bands that actually sound better live than on record and finding that has been a struggle. MMJ for me captures that lost feeling of surprise at just how good and different, but yet better it can get live.

I managed to go from not knowing them 8 months ago, to fully obsessed to the point that I made OBH and pretty much listen to the live stuff nonstop now.

tbear

Bull Dog,

Wow our stories are pretty similar. I started a little earlier, '83, (when I was 14!), but really got going in 87. I was at the those Alpine shows. What a great time.

And, like you, even though I have seen them a bunch, it has really been in the last year and half that I have really started to glimpse the depth that MMJ possesses. The T5s started it and the PCs sealed the deal.

Not listening to much else these days.

MrWhippy

Just to add to the Alpine Valley love-fest going on here.  I was at those GD Alpine Valley shows in 86, 87, and 89.  86 was my first time seeing them, and it defintely blew my 15 year-old suburban midwestern mind.

The first night of '89 is probably in my top 5 of the over 100 GD shows I saw.  It's great that they made a live DVD of most of that show (the full second set and part of the first set).
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Bulldog

:thumbsup: yup...I was somewhere in that crowd dancing my ass off....

Until OBH I never though I would experience anything like that live again which either says allot about 89 Alpine or OBH or both...