Main Menu

2014 Festivals

Started by e_wind, Jan 14, 2014, 12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

Is it just me or is this the weakest crop of festival lineups in long time? Just a few summers ago, festival culture was booming. But now with shared headliners and the proliferation of festivals just about everywhere, is the market about to burst?

There are definitely some good lineups out there this summer. But there hasn't been that one huge "get" that drops the jaw. With  ACL and Outside Lands (and maybe Voodoo?) left as major festivals still to announce lineups, there's still a chance.

Call me crazy, but I still think Forecastle is the best lineup announced so far, with honorable mentions to Governor's Ball and Coachella. Roo and Lolla really dropped the ball this year. 

Ob1jacobe

I came here to post the exact same thing.  I think the lollapolooza lineup is weak and the headliners are horrible (I do love Arctic Monkeys, but don't think that is a board favorite). I fear ACL will be basically the same thing.  I know this is a tired music argument but they are catering to the masses (selling out). 

parkervb

Market saturation...
Don't you ever turn it off

Fully

Shaky Knees has the best lineup, Forecastle comes in second, IMO. And of course I can't make Shaky knees this year since they moved it back a week from what it was last year. Thank goodness we have Foreskin!

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Fully on Mar 26, 2014, 08:56 PM
Shaky Knees has the best lineup, Forecastle comes in second, IMO.

Agreed...  :beer:

e_wind

I also agree with the SK and Forecastle being the top 2. I'm not gonna make SK, but I'm sure glad Forecastle is in my backyard.

That Lolla line up is seriously the worst major fest line up i have ever seen. Those headliners. Holy shit.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

oistheone

Forgot all about Shaky Knees! In the year of completely homogenized, "throw everything at 'em" lineups, I give SK MAJOR props for putting together an actually cohesive batch of acts.

EverythingChanges

The Lolla headliners are atrocious, but they have some solid mid tier acts.  Phossy, Portugal, John Butler, White Denim, Jenny Lewis, and a couple others I can't remember.  That festival has always seemed unappealing to me.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Murph

Mountain Jam is pretty specific, but awesome nonetheless.
Allman Bros
Bob Weir
Govt Mule
Tedeshchi Trucks
Avett Bros
Michael Franti
Umphreys McGee
Chris Robinson
Jeff Tweedy
Valerie June
Jonathan Wilson

...just to name a few

parkervb

Lollapalooza? More like Bro-apalooza amirite?  :drum:
Don't you ever turn it off

joey_rogo

Quote from: Murph on Mar 27, 2014, 02:40 PM
Mountain Jam is pretty specific, but awesome nonetheless.
Allman Bros
Bob Weir
Govt Mule
Tedeshchi Trucks
Avett Bros
Michael Franti
Umphreys McGee
Chris Robinson
Jeff Tweedy
Valerie June
Jonathan Wilson

...just to name a few

The daily lineups they announced today ALMOST made me buy a Friday ticket. If Blitzen Trapper was on Friday that would be my day. First summer in a while I won't be attending mnt jam. Too busy/too poor to splurge on the whole weekend.

dmooney99

XPN Music Festival in Camden, NJ (7/25-7/27)

-Beck
-Band Of Horses
-The Districts
-Ryan Adams
-Jenny Lewis
-Dawes

and tons more

http://xpn.org/xponential-music-festival

walterfredo

Camden is a lovely little city. 

ericm

Quote from: Fully on Mar 26, 2014, 08:56 PM
Thank goodness we have Foreskin!

Now there's a phrase you don't hear everyday.  :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

oistheone

Anyone else going to be rockin' this Outkast set tonight via the Coachella web stream?!?!

I have to work tomorrow at 830AM eastern and their set doesn't even start till 2AM eastern, but ahhh, what the hell.

dmooney99

Looks like both philly and LA for Made In America?  Should be interesting.  Tix are on sale now, but no line-up announced yet  :huh:

APR

APR

Another festival with a lot of the usual suspects....never heard of this one, but it looks good and in a good area:

http://www.firstcityfestival.com/

dmooney99

Quote from: dmooney99 on Apr 19, 2014, 11:02 AM
Looks like both philly and LA for Made In America?  Should be interesting.  Tix are on sale now, but no line-up announced yet  :huh:

and both line-ups suck.  LA worse than philly

MrWhippy

Quote from: dmooney99 on May 22, 2014, 07:53 PM
Quote from: dmooney99 on Apr 19, 2014, 11:02 AM

and both line-ups suck.  LA worse than philly

That Made in America LA lineup has got to be the single worst festival lineup ever in history.  They just completely hit the bullseye of suck.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.