Brian Jonestown Massacre anyone?

Started by DavidCrosby, Sep 23, 2008, 12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidCrosby

...so far I have seen them twice and every time has been excellent...I really don't understand how they never got past a "cult" status because I think they are so good live (I love how they use a bunch of electric 12 strings to make their sound so dense and when they jam out it is heavenly)...I know Anton is a dick and many times there has been really bad shows but lets just talk about the music here...anybody else ever see them or know of any bootlegs that I can trade for???...

listen to vinyl

mjkoehler

Very much a fan. And yes, Anton is a Major General in douchbaggery. But if we didn't have him being an asshole we would have Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Dead Meadow to enjoy. He is a musical genius.

Fuckin guy broke my sitar

Sort of turned dragonboy onto them last year. I have not seen them live, however my bff and her hubby did and loved it. They used to have some shows on the band's site in oog format. Those have since disappeared.

Oh, and Joel is the heart and soul of the band.

dragonboy

You did indeed, cheers for that Mike  :)

Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request is probably my fav...different sound but I really like Methodrone too.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

DavidCrosby

...when I saw them last weekend Joel wasn't there, but when I saw them in July Joel was with them...he is great though, even though he only plays tambourine he really adds something to the band....
listen to vinyl

Murph

they really are a fantastic band, bordering on genius at times, but it is really hard to be a true fan knowing what a complete and utter asshole Anton is.  He is the only reason these guys arent huge.  Ohh and for those who dont know just how big a dick Anton actually is, i'll leave you with a quote of his:

"People talk about Eric Clapton. What has he ever done except throw his baby off a fucking ledge and write a song about it?"

DavidCrosby

Quotethey really are a fantastic band, bordering on genius at times, but it is really hard to be a true fan knowing what a complete and utter asshole Anton is.  He is the only reason these guys arent huge.  Ohh and for those who dont know just how big a dick Anton actually is, i'll leave you with a quote of his:

"People talk about Eric Clapton. What has he ever done except throw his baby off a fucking ledge and write a song about it?"

...he might be the rudest person on earth sometimes but I still fucking love the man and the band...I'm a sucker for some BJM....
listen to vinyl

he.who.forgets

Resurecting this thread as I'm ages late discovering them.  I've had Tepid Peppermint Wonderland on heavy rotation and just cannot get enough.  I have no clue as to the douchery of said Anton, so maybe I'll just keep it that way and refrain from digging into the details and simply enjoy the music.  God I love there sound.  I imagine that this bands albums would sound fantastic on vinyl...

Willard1979

I just downloaded Tepid Peppermint Wonderland.  So far, Im liking what Im hearing.  :cool:

MMPJ6306

I've been pretty into Second Request before, but beyond that there music seems a little repetitive/monotonous... Can anybody recommend another record of theirs?
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16