Main Menu

Band of Skulls

Started by MrWhippy, Dec 28, 2011, 07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

I'm probably going to the Pittsburgh show. I missed them last time, there was a bunch of good shows all bunched together and I chose The Black Angels over them.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

MrWhippy

Quote from: oistheone on Feb 18, 2014, 03:35 PM
I'm in for a show on this new batch of dates for sure.

I've got a weird relationship with this band. I don't ever find myself listening to their studio stuff, but I never seem to pass up the chance to see 'em live. They always put on a rockin' show, and Russell has some of the nastiest guitar tones I've ever heard -- in the best way possible.

I don't listen to them on records very much, but I will never ever pass up a chance to see them live.

They put out a great live record last year called "Live at Brixton" that gives a sense of how great they are live.  And I totally agree about Russell, he's an amazing guitarist.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

oistheone

Went to the tour kickoff last night in Toronto, and the Skulls put on a great show, as usual. My girlfriend (who has never listened to them in her life) walked away impressed too, both by their show and also by their volume. Hooooo boy they get a lotta sound for three people!

The new songs sounded great, though the mellower stuff definitely thinned out the crowd. Not that I was complaining -- any time I can get within ten feet of the stage despite showing up just as the show started, that's a concert win in my books.

While watching the show, I found myself wondering -- what's the next step for the Skulls? I first saw them in 2010, and since then, they seemingly just get more and more polished and huge-sounding with each show. Their massive sound belongs in an arena, but will they ever develop the fanbase to start playing bigger venues? Questionable, but I'll continue to enjoy 'em in packed clubs in the meantime!

dmooney99

their playing in philly tonight.  Saw them a few years back w/ The Whigs.  Solid live band and digging Himalayan a lot.  Not sure if i'm going to go to the show or not.  Toadies are also playing tonight in philly.  And one of my friends wants to see a Pearl Jam cover/tribute band also tonight. 

MrWhippy

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 25, 2014, 12:09 PM
While watching the show, I found myself wondering -- what's the next step for the Skulls? I first saw them in 2010, and since then, they seemingly just get more and more polished and huge-sounding with each show. Their massive sound belongs in an arena, but will they ever develop the fanbase to start playing bigger venues? Questionable, but I'll continue to enjoy 'em in packed clubs in the meantime!

It's hard for me to imagine them getting much bigger than their current level (playing at larger clubs) for some reason.

I saw the DC show last night and really liked it, but it definitely brought home the fact for me that the new record is probably my least favorite of the three. 

The new songs are decent, but not many of them really click with me like many of the songs from the first two records do.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

oistheone

Completely agree Mr. Whippy.

I listened through the new record once, and probably won't again. Not knocking it, a lot of the songs get stuck in my head, and most of the tunes came across very well live. But there's something about this band, I just can't listen to their records. My girlfriend wanted to listen to some tunes to familiarize herself before she went to the show, and I just told her not to bother. They really are an act that needs to be seen live to be appreciated.