MMJ vinyl quality.

Started by rincon2, Mar 02, 2014, 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headhunter

was some shakin' and some record playin'

GO4IT

Okonokos and Circuital are the premiere pressings in my MMJ vinyl collection.  Had a strange hankering for side one of Circuital tonight and the first listen with my new cartridge tonight did not disappoint.  I'll never forget when I got Circuital through preorder a few days before the official release and, of course, I put in on 33rpm.  I was blown away to realize it was 45rpm and then I was blown away by the sound quality.

rincon2

I don't really understand any of this. I have had to get replacements of Circuital, Z, and Chocolate and Ice, and the replacements are only marginally better. I have recently purchased Quadrophenia, Exodus, and English Oceans. No notable surface noise. All my MMJ stuff sound like I bought it for $7.99 35 years ago. Here is the crap on my C&I vinyl, that could not be removed. The replacement still has some of these stains, but at least it sounded better. Not great, but acceptable.

tippitoes22

There's your problem right there rincon. You're comparing apples and oranges. If you recently purchased Quadrophenia (Pete Townsends Opus) its probably the remastered, from the 24 or 32 track ANALOG board masters. It's also probably the 2LP 180g version, which was over seen by Pete himself and it was probably pressed at Pallus or some such place.  There's actually a documentary about it. And think of where both The Who and Bob Marley were at that point in their careers. Both Had $$$MONEY$$$ and lots of it, which (especially then) meant lots of time and care taken in overseeing the original recordings. Which again were recorded on an analog board, on analog tape, mastered in analog and pressed on a record (analog). Who knows How Chocolate & Ice was recorded. The original source material could just not be that good. Plus for God knows what reason, the color, or the splatter pattern seems to be what ppl are most concerned about when a reissue comes out. Not the actual quality of the MUSIC on the album. But I feel your pain, Ive got 4 different copies of an album with COBRA (arguably one of MMJ's best, most badass, and killer to see live songs) on it that all sound "meh." And its not for lack of equipment (not bragging, but Ive got a tight little audiophile set up).

So I wish (just like probably a lot of other ppl out there)...Who gives a shit what the color/splatter pattern/etc? Just get Bernie Grudman to remaster Chocolate and Ice get it pressed at RTI, or Pallus, Or AcousTech on BLACK 180-200g vinyl and make our speakers SING   :thumbsup: 
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

rincon2

Apples and oranges sure. But that's no excuse for goop on the physical tracks. My new copies of Johnny Marr, DBT albums, and Songs Ohia all sound great, where Z & It Still Moves both have unnecessary noise. Circuital is the worst, sounds like my thousand times played old Live at Leeds, which has admitted noise in the master tape. I don't think DBT has any financial advantages to making better quality vinyl than MMJ.

tippitoes22

You're preachin' to the choir, rincon2. I don't know why there have been consistently bad pressing of an album that I REALLY want to sound good. Like I said, I don't give a shit about clear vinyl, yellow brown rotten banana wax, or purple green, etc.. I just want a Damn copy regular Black ,180+grams of vinyl that gets my B&W's pumping!!!
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

ralph

When I was buying vinyl the first time around before CDs in the 80s & 90s I dont think I ever once got a bad pressing, or an off centre pressing, or any kind of issue.  Now it seems that every third record I buy has to be returned for a replacement, and then even the replacement tends to be shit.  Why could they get it right in the 1960s and more often than not get it wrong 50 years later? Gives me the shits...  :angry:
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

rincon2

Just received "celebracion de la ciudad natal" LP in the mail from Amazon. Said it was the last one available. A little surprised it was a double 10 inch album. Kind of a curiosity factor, but makes you have to change sides a lot more. The sound is pretty good, not as great as most new 180 gram stuff, but good enough for me. Unexpected surprise. Came with a CD copy of it. The description did not mention that, or it was a 10 inch double. Now that is cool.

Mr. White

Quote from: rincon2 on Mar 23, 2014, 04:29 PM
Just received "celebracion de la ciudad natal" LP in the mail from Amazon. Said it was the last one available. A little surprised it was a double 10 inch album. Kind of a curiosity factor, but makes you have to change sides a lot more. The sound is pretty good, not as great as most new 180 gram stuff, but good enough for me. Unexpected surprise. Came with a CD copy of it. The description did not mention that, or it was a 10 inch double. Now that is cool.

Yeah, that RSD release was the first one of MMJ's stuff I ever got on vinyl from ear-X-tacy. I got the cover of it signed by all the band members when I sent it with a co-worker who happened to live next door to Patrick's parents. She said she got to see him grow up and still sees him over there from time to time. After a couple of months, she returned it to me with a very special note written on it along with all of their signatures. And yes, I was surprised at it being a double and having the CD included. All the songs were recorded in Louisville (some at the Waterfront Park show and some right there inside ear-X-tacy). I love the way it sounds too!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011