Bands that MMJ can't cover

Started by rincon2, Mar 06, 2014, 12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

The musical spectrum these guys span is unprecedented in a major act. If I am wrong, clue me in. I have a difficult time imagining what genre of pop/rock/soul music over the last 50 years they could not give credible homage to. Possibly rap? Boy bands? I bet they could do a Lady Gaga style song if they chose, not that I would even know one of her songs if I heard it. One legit rock band I just can't imagine them covering, or being influenced by, is The Stray Cats. Any thoughts, or other rock bands they couldn't properly channel?

manonthemoon

The only ones that really come to mind for me are the really brutal metal bands like Meshuggah.  I know they have covered Sabbath in the past, but that's a much more kinder style of metal.  I couldn't see them really doing too many of those style of bands a proper homage.
Alive or Just Breathing

parkervb

Rage Against the Machine? 

My thing on Jacket covers is that they have the power to make the song their own while still maintaining a real connection to the original. 
Don't you ever turn it off

Stevie

are there a multitude of bands that they could not cover?  yes, but i think there is probably a good reason for that.  Think of why you love MMJ and then think of the kind of vibe you get from some of the other bands that you think they couldn't cover.   Scream metal for instance.  it's like taking something full of love and happiness and lighting it on fire for the sake of watching something burn..  some of the 'out of left field' covers work really well because there is a connection, if slight, between those not so obvious songs and what MMJ brings to the table.  The beauty of it is that you could never imagine the combination working so well until they actually did it.  Think about Tyrone.  Hell, i saw a video of the boys doing that pop song, "Oh what a night" and it was absolutely ridiculous but it worked. 

In short, there are certain emotional wavelengths that I just don't think Jim (or the rest of the band) is either interested in or capable of exploring, and good for that. 

rincon2

Rap is the most obvious genre they have not dabbled in. The screaming devil from hell  :evil: stuff was given quite a try by Month of Sundays.(Jim's former band) I am sure they are capable of it. I once saw an old video of It's About Twilight Now, probably an early Bonnaroo, that was pretty hardcore feedback and screaming shit they don't do now. I'm sure most here are familiar with that.

CC

Quote from: rincon2 on Mar 07, 2014, 02:52 AM
Rap is the most obvious genre they have not dabbled in.

one night in 2000 they did a medley of Digital Underground's Freaks Of The Industry and Young MC's Principal's Office

CC

Quote from: rincon2 on Mar 07, 2014, 02:52 AM
once saw an old video of It's About Twilight Now, probably an early Bonnaroo, that was pretty hardcore feedback and screaming shit ...

My Morning Jacket - It's About Twilight Now (7/8/2000)

Fully

CC, you know where everything is! Even back then Jim had a thing for ripping his clothes. His mother must have had a hard time keeping him in clothes when he was a little boy.

CC

Quote from: Fully on Mar 07, 2014, 11:25 AM
CC, you know where everything is! Even back then Jim had a thing for ripping his clothes. His mother must have had a hard time keeping him in clothes when he was a little boy.

this one was easy! i was the one filming

johnnYYac

Quote from: CC Baxter on Mar 07, 2014, 12:35 PM

Right, that was Belgium, not 'roo.  The boys didn't get to the farm until '03.

CC, I think you once mentioned you had the full show from this festival.  Any chance it could see the light of day?  During these MMJ droughts, I like to go back to the beginning, but haven't found anything "new" in some time. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

CC

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 07, 2014, 12:42 PM

CC, I think you once mentioned you had the full show from this festival.  Any chance it could see the light of day?  During these MMJ droughts, I like to go back to the beginning, but haven't found anything "new" in some time.

not the full show but most of it, also got the Vlissingen show the day after.
gonna see if i can post something in the coming weeks.
there's some analog-digital wizardry to be done.

johnnYYac

Quote from: CC Baxter on Mar 07, 2014, 12:56 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 07, 2014, 12:42 PM

not the full show but most of it, also got the Vlissingen show the day after.
gonna see if i can post something in the coming weeks.
there's some analog-digital wizardry to be done.
That would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, CC!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off