MMJ cover Molina?

Started by e-stone, Feb 20, 2014, 02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e-stone

i just stumbled across this on Amazon, and i don't think i've seen this mentioned before:

i was ecstatic to see that MMJ covered one of my favorite Molina tunes "Farewell Transmission", but listening to the sample, my excitement has diminished.  i know it's not fair to judge on a 30 second sample, but man i just can't help but think they could've knocked this one out of the park if they went back to their "silo" roots for the cover.

have a sneak peak yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Transmission/dp/B00IJ8R3XM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392924274&sr=8-2&keywords=farewell+transmission

MMPJ6306

6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

bartel

It's a great song and a great version.. What a great song to cover man what a songwriter he was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justbcuzido

Quote from: MMPJ6306 on Feb 26, 2014, 04:12 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/54133-listen-my-morning-jacket-cover-songs-ohias-farewell-transmission-for-jason-molina-tribute/

...doesn't quite hold up next to Jim's recent Bob Marley cover but all new MMJ is a blessing.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not too crazy about this cover. I've tried listening to it a few times and don't really like it all that much.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

bartel

it's a different interpretation for sure... I like it... more MMJ influence with a little of the original feel of the song.

CountSA

I dig it.

This is one of the main reasons MMJ is my favorite band...just releasing random songs every couple of months it seems.

johnnYYac

I'm not familiar with Molina's work, but played the original Songs: Ohia version alternating with the MMJ cover. I can understand the criticism, particularly for fans of Molina, as the original fits the classic MMJ style.  The departure from the original, and from the straightforward approach MMJ could have taken with its cover, seems the most likely reason for folks' dislike.  Not carrying the baggage of knowing Molina or the original tune, I can view the MMJ version as less about the cover and more about MMJ and Jim stretching the boundaries of how to play a song.  I would, admittedly, liked to have heard a more, true-to-the-original take on Farewell Transmission, but as with any MMJ output, it is what THEY wanted to do, what THEY came up with, and I'll live with that.  Let's just say this song won't be at the top of any playlist, but I don't think I'd skip it if and when it comes up...   
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

capt. scotty

Great coogily moogily, this cover is awful.

Im sort of worried about the next MMJ album now  :undecided:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

Quote from: capt. scotty on Mar 13, 2014, 03:18 PM
Great coogily moogily, this cover is awful.

Im sort of worried about the next MMJ album now  :undecided:

Me too.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

The DARK

I don't dislike this sound in and of itself (feels reminiscent of solo Jim, which was great), but it's an awful fit for the song and only adds bells and whistles to something that was great to begin with.
In another time, in another place, in another face

BH

Finally downloaded this and I actually think it's the best MMJ I've heard in a long time.   I'm shocked nobody likes it.    Of course I think I lost credibility back when I said how much I liked cranking Two Halves in the summertime with the windows down.... :wink:
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

EverythingChanges

I never listened to Songs Ohia before this cover was released.  I heard the cover before the original, and I really enjoyed it.  After listening to both numerous times, I definitely agree that a straight forward approach would have been preferable.  This is the first MMJ cover that I actually prefer the original to.  Either way, it is a great cover.

I don't mind if MMJ's new album shares a similar sound, but I hope they don't go overboard with it.  I'm killing for a new long epic that will kill live with lots of building to loud guitars, vocals, and keys.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

EverythingChanges

I'm quickly discovering the genius of Molina.  Holy fuck is Farewell Transmission the best album opener ever?  I can only imagine what it would have been like to be a big Songs: Ohia fan when this album came out.  Putting this record on for the first time and just hearing the power of the opening track...

Mama, here comes midnight with the dead moon in its jaws!
Must be the big star about to fall...
Mama, here comes midnight with the dead moon in its jaws!
Must be the big star about to fall...

Angelo

EC, when I heard those lines it hit me like a bag of bricks. Great stuff. Farewell Transmission is a masterpiece, I only wish I would have discovered it when he was alive, I would have made the effort to see him.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Angelo on Apr 30, 2014, 08:25 PM
EC, when I heard those lines it hit me like a bag of bricks. Great stuff. Farewell Transmission is a masterpiece, I only wish I would have discovered it when he was alive, I would have made the effort to see him.

I couldn't agree more.  What a song writer.