Working with The Flaming Lips?

Started by getinthevan, May 10, 2014, 02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getinthevan

Take it or leave it, I just saw this and thought I'd pass it along.  Wayne ended a recent interview with this interesting little comment:

"I don't even like talking about our ex-drummer, because it just uses up this space that we could be talking bout this cool shit we're doing with Sean Lennon and My Morning Jacket and Miley, and I don't want any of that tainted."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/wayne-coyne-fires-back-at-pathological-liar-kliph-scurlock-20140509
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

rincon2

He seems like quite the jerk in this interview. He contradicts himself and seems to be as hatefull as he accuses the fired drummer as being. I'm pretty sure his references to the other artists were referring to past projects. I can't imagine Jim tolerating any of this media drama.

bartel

well Jim contributed to some flaming lips stuff a few years back... I really don't want to have to deal with wayne coyne with MMJ as he especially acted like an idiot lately.

johnnYYac

I believe Coyne may be referring to One Big Holiday in Mexico.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

DaFunkyPrecedent

For their Bonnaroo set, I want to make a Wayne Coyne head wearing an indian headdress that says "Racist" under it. 
God damn those shaky knees.

DaFunkyPrecedent

God damn those shaky knees.

ffghtrs

It's weird that Wayne is up in arms about this.  I always felt that he was just mellow rocking dude.  Who really cared about his fans.  I still think that even with him getting rapped up in  this drama.  Who knows maybe one is more of  dick then the other or maybe just being together in those close quarters of touring got each other on their nerves.  It happens to the best.  But really I'm just hoping for some good flaming lips music in the near future, i've enjoyed some of their latest works but not all of it like i used to.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

gluvmiller

My wife is VERY good friends with Kliph and has been for amny years (long before he was roadie for Beck that eventually got him the gig with the Lips). Anyway, we hung out with him at One Big Holiday and he is a GREAT guy. Very, very nice and genuine. This whole thing has seriously broken his heart. At the same time, we spent some time with Wayne at One Big Holiday. Not my kind of guy. He may be nice, but my impression was prima donna and only really cared about himself.

I expect Kliph comes out of all this happier when all is said and done. I hope he finds himself in a band that allows him to truly be himself and allow him to equally share in the success.