Lee Bain III & The Glory Fires

Started by bold992006, Mar 06, 2012, 01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bold992006

Band touring withe The Alabama Shakes..check them out!!

http://therecordchanger.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-great-album-of-2012.html

As I understand it, there's been a buzz at the Bomp offices lately about a new release on Alive-Natural Sound from a band named Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires titled There's A Bomb In Gilead. I was sent a link for an advance track a few weeks ago that turned out to be very impressive. So I was anxious to hear the full-length album. It arrived in the mail today, and once again, label honcho Patrick Boissel has found a band that defies easy categorization, manages to sound like a lot of other bands - but not anyone in particular - and doesn't, on the surface, seem to fit in with most of the label's other acts. And yet, they do because the label has a knack for finding unique acts with their own sound. A label that can give a home to acts like The Black Keys, T-Model Ford, Hacienda, The Buffalo Killers, Brian Olive, Mondo Drag, and Scott Morgan, among others, is a label whose sound is defined by the fact that they refuse to be pigeonholed. There is no one representative Alive act. But if you buy in to Patrick's vision, chances are you'll love most everything you hear.
     Lee Bains hails from Birmingham, Alabama according to the band's Facebook page, and if you read the list of influences on the info page, you'll have a pretty good idea of what they sound like before you ever drop the needle on the vinyl. This is Americana roots music that would not sound out of place on Lost Highway. And yet, the band's influences seem to have been absorbed through the skin so that what you're hearing is akin to musical moonshine from a rusty old still. It goes down smooth, and packs a kick that'll have you refilling your jar for more.
     I thought of Ryan Adams, late period Byrds, Mudcrutch (Tom Petty's old band before The Heartbreakers) and a half dozen more acts before the record was over. But I wouldn't tell you they sound like any of them. Every time I listen to any act on the label, I hear a hundred different other bands that span the history of rock and blues, but what I also hear is something new and fresh and unlike anything else I already own.
     For my own purposes, I'll brand There's A Bomb In Gilead the first true southern rock record of the 21st century. That's what I hear in its grooves. You might hear something altogether different. It doesn't matter in the end, though. Good music never really needs to be labeled as one thing or another. It's a disservice to the artist and it keeps people from making up their own minds about what they're hearing.
     But I've made up my mind about Lee Bains III and The Glory Fires. Pass me back the jar. I need another belt.

parkervb

these guys new album, Dereconstructed, has been getting some good pub. I haven't had time to check the whole album but if you're into DBT, Lucero then you'll be into these guys.  I saw them open for the Alabama Shakes a couple of years back now and I have been following them since.  Tons of tour dates just announced too. 

http://thegloryfires.com/shows/

http://youtu.be/YucWOXSCa4U
Don't you ever turn it off