Danger Mouse aka Brian Burton

Started by ffghtrs, Jun 05, 2014, 03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffghtrs

Did you know that he produced the 2012 Norah Jones album Little Broken Hearts?  it's really decent.  i love that he is so prolific, he goes from working with the Black Keys to Norah to Broken Bells.  Which i still need to pick up.  oh music you are so good to me.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

Ob1jacobe

So first, I love many of the Albums and Artist that Danger Mouse has worked on.  Beck, Sparklehorse, Portugal. The Man, etc.  I am not trying to troll here.

With that said his production style is beginning to wear on me a little.  I can find lots of similarities on the last Broken Bells, Portugal. The Man, and Keys in term of style, production, and technique.  For me, he is begging to overshadow the artist he is working with to the point that he needs to be co-billed as the artist.

I would like to have seen what the Black Keys would have done this time without him.

ffghtrs

I think i need to start paying more attention to this guy because i didn't even know Portugal, the Man's Evil Friends was produced by him.   although i just picked it up the other day.  any who i see your point and agree but also disagree. i think the sound of the black keys new record is perfect and i love El Camino but it felt like just a track listing of singles while this album really pulls me in.

Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

Ob1jacobe

I actually like all the black keys albums he has produced, just not as much as their earlier dirtier  work.  Brothers or Attack & Release are my favorite modern Black Keys albums but El Camino and Turn Blue have some great jams on them.

My only other comment on Danger Mouse and i'm plagiarizing this from someone.. he has really become Safe Mouse and is sticking to a very produced very poppy sound.  One that often works well but i would like a little more edge especially with the Keys

my favorite albums produced by Danger Mouse
- Gorillaz - Demon Dance
- Beck - Modern Guilt
- Sparkle Horse - Dreamt for light ......
- Portugal the man - Evil Friends

ffghtrs

Interesting take.  I still stand that Turn Blue is a step in the right direction for the Black Keys.  I really can't get enough of it.  and Sparkle Horse can really do no wrong.