Dan Auerbach Producing

Started by ffghtrs, Jun 15, 2014, 08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffghtrs

Been on such a Black Keys kick that i kinda thought Dan could do no wrong.  But his newest producing credit in Nikki Lane's All or Nothin' is annoying the shit out of me.  Just seems generic pop songs glossed up with country slide guitar and what not.  Just lacks a certain something that i've come to expect from him.  Maybe a certain innovation.  the vocal seem like a Jessica Lea Mayfield rip off at some points.  which is understandable being that he has produced for Jessica before.  But still i expect more Mr. Auerbach.  Step up the producing game.   but still i love Turn Blue

Currently listening to the Boss.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

e_wind

Dan Aurrbach is responsible for El Camino, so he ain't perfect. He produced the new Lana Del Rey album too. I haven't heard it but my lady is obsessed with it so I guess he did something right there.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ffghtrs

very true.  i shouldn't be so quick to judge but it was just disappointing.  read an article about the Nikki Lane album and i was stoked.  Loved Dr. John's work and Patrick Sweany and Ray Lamantagne's newest album but i guess i shouldn't blame the guy for hitting all my tastes on the head.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

Jaimoe

Patrick did a good job producing The Sheepdogs newest album. It has more emphasis on drums, but it still has that Sheepdogs southern rock, Americana/Canadiana and Guess Who/BTO sound.

bartel

I use to love his production style but it seems every album he produces sounds the same production style anyway... maybe a lot to do with the fact that I have gone off the black keys dramatically in recent years.

ffghtrs

Just read the MOJO interview with the Black Keys.  I love Turn Blue and most of their stuff.  I'm biased.  But they didn't even mention Nikki Lane and they had a sub section with all the albums he's produced since Jessica Lea Mayfield and Dr. John.  Anywho i think my point is that maybe he's trying to brush this one under the rug.  Because It's really generic and not good.  But again that's my opinion.  Turn Blue is still blowing my mind and Dr. John's record is a must listen about once to five times a month.  SO IN CONCLUSION...i should have gone with the new Lana Del Ray's Dan Auerbach produced album, because it sounds good in the interview and i still love was Dan and Pat are doing.

also on a Townes Van Zandt kick.  LOVE HIM!

parkervb

he did the new Ray Lamontagne album too.  haven't heard it but he did it
Don't you ever turn it off

Jaimoe

Quote from: parkervb on Jun 18, 2014, 09:00 AM

Haven't heard Ray's latest album, but I've listened to the new single, "Supernova", many times and can't say I'm a fan. Hearing Ray sing sugary 1960s psychedelic pop underscored by Dan's heavy-handed production is really quite unsettling. Maybe the single will grow on me, not unlike Iron & Wine's recent expanded style has, but I'm not there yet.

parkervb

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 19, 2014, 09:31 AM

Haven't heard Ray's latest album, but I've listened to the new single, "Supernova", many times and can't say I'm a fan. Hearing Ray sing sugary 1960s psychedelic pop underscored by Dan's heavy-handed production is really quite unsettling. Maybe the single will grow on me, not unlike Iron & Wine's recent expanded style has, but I'm not there yet.

i have read "over produced" a couple of times regarding this record.
Don't you ever turn it off

Jaimoe

Quote from: parkervb on Jun 19, 2014, 11:43 AM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 19, 2014, 09:31 AM

i have read "over produced" a couple of times regarding this record.

Ray's single sounds like a cast-off from The Polyphonic Spree, a band I normally loathe.

e-stone

check out Radio Moscow if you (like me) are missing that grimy, raunchy Black Keys sound of old.  Dan produced their self-titled debut back in 2008:

Radio Moscow "LuckyDutch" (SXSW 2008)

a little more Cream/Yardbirds/Hendrix than the Black Keys.   

their 4th album, Magical Dirt, just came out this week as well.  great stuff.

bigloop

Supernova the album is a better Black Keys album than Turn Blue.   And it's also the best Ray Lamontagne album.  The songs sound eternal, like they've always been (well, at least since the late 60s).

If Ray comes to a town near you, run, don't walk, and go see him.  It's a sonic and visual spectacle.  Perhaps the best screens (visuals) I've ever seen at a show.