The new jacket...or is it a robe?

Started by millerjustin, Feb 19, 2015, 10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

millerjustin

Thoughts on Jim's new squiggly robe at OBH?  and the gold gloves?

I know it borders on blasphemy, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of these new accessories (I'm a brownfit traditionalist).  Seems like each new album brings a new look (ie - the white fuzzy boots and Japanese scarf of '11).....

What's in here won't disappear

Derek713

Quote from: millerjustin on Feb 19, 2015, 10:02 AM
Thoughts on Jim's new squiggly robe at OBH?  and the gold gloves?

I know it borders on blasphemy, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of these new accessories (I'm a brownfit traditionalist).  Seems like each new album brings a new look (ie - the white fuzzy boots and Japanese scarf of '11).....

I kinda dig the robe, but can live without the gloves........not that I have ever been praised for my fashion sense  :rolleyes:

walterfredo

All I could think about was seeing that robe/jacket on display someday in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. 

parkervb

i think we need the album and tour news STAT if we're breaking down JJ's new threads.  But, on topic, I miss the jeans, t-shirt look from 2006 (see the classic Conan appearance)
Don't you ever turn it off

wamsankas

Whatever it is I need one. He should auction it off for charity... Bidding war!

BANANAMAN

What about the golden bear mask that he busted out on night 4 ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

millerjustin

Quote from: BANANAMAN on Feb 20, 2015, 10:18 AM

the mask got handed up from the crowd....there's a small group of rabid fans from Mexico City (nice guys) and one of their crew made/brought that mask - somehow it ended up on stage and Jim put it on during what I call the "Night 4 shitshow"
What's in here won't disappear

Derek713

Quote from: millerjustin on Feb 20, 2015, 10:28 AM
Quote from: BANANAMAN on Feb 20, 2015, 10:18 AM

the mask got handed up from the crowd....there's a small group of rabid fans from Mexico City (nice guys) and one of their crew made/brought that mask - somehow it ended up on stage and Jim put it on during what I call the "Night 4 shitshow"

and I think I saw a picture somewhere...Facebook/Twitter?......where they were able to get it autographed by the band. Pretty Cool!

BigHerm

Saw the security guard hand it to someone asking for it after the show, not sure if it was the person who brought it. I would be surprised if it was.

Stevie

Im a huge fan of that new look if onlynfor the fact that its completely different.  New albums, new outfit and maybe, just maybe, a ton of setlist shuffling. 

Fully

I love the new magic wizard robe Jim is wearing too. Goodbye stinky brownfit!  Hello early seventies rock star!  No more visible panty line. No more questioning how many days he's worn those brown permacreased,  polyblended pants. Hopefully, no more shirts that have rips in the elbows..... Actually he could still go days without washing his pants, but my hope is that the wizard robe will conceal me from that torture. It also looks way cooler to perform in than that trench coat. That thing looked terribly hot, particularly when he wore the fur boots with them during summer shows.

pattilovesmmj

I thought maybe he was testing something new out at OBH2, or that maybe someone gave it to him to wear in Mexico.
Probably glows in the dark!

MusiKel Mama

Pretty sure l saw it on sale at Burlington Coat Factory...

consigliare

and I think I saw a picture somewhere...Facebook/Twitter?......where they were able to get it autographed by the band. Pretty Cool!

Yes, I was in the locker room at the spa at OBH 2 and couldn't help but notice the autographed gold mask in the locker of the guy next to me ... He said he made it, threw it up on stage, as we all know JJ wore it, they signed it for him, and apparently hunted him down somehow to get it back to him ... and, I believe he was from the Mexico City delegation...

WastedLittleWeeza

Quote from: Fully on Mar 01, 2015, 07:46 PM
I love the new magic wizard robe Jim is wearing too. Goodbye stinky brownfit!  Hello early seventies rock star!  No more visible panty line. No more questioning how many days he's worn those brown permacreased,  polyblended pants. Hopefully, no more shirts that have rips in the elbows..... Actually he could still go days without washing his pants, but my hope is that the wizard robe will conceal me from that torture. It also looks way cooler to perform in than that trench coat. That thing looked terribly hot, particularly when he wore the fur boots with them during summer shows.

this may be one of the funniest posts I've ever read :grin: :thumbsup:

ffghtrs

I won't believe it until i see the pics!
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

MusiKel Mama

I remember reading in Gandhi's autobiography that with each material possession he renounced, the freer he felt. And I've always kind of admired Jim for wearing the same thing everyday, with sort of ceremonial exceptions. And I wonder if that's what motivates him...to be unburdened by the appearances of ultimately illusory forms. To deal almost exclusively in formlessness (music)...to have to become so aware of the importance of silence in space, and to deal so effectively in it...clothing, for the most part, must seem pretty mundane...
Has anyone else contemplated the ascetic undercurrents of this or am I just pulling threads?

Fully

Yep,  I figure that plays a part in it. He also seems like he just doesn't really give a crap about how he looks and perhaps likes not having to think about what he wears so he makes a new uniform for each tour.

barbpaktwo

jj said he got tired of thinking about what to wear for a show and then thought about the Smurks and how they wore the same outfit all the the time so that is what he decided to do

MusiKel Mama

I remember that...but even that suggests that appearance is ultimately a kind of caricature...and to be a "rock star" dressed as a cartoon version of yourself...it says it all without saying anything. A lot of people say style is a form of personal expression...but so is the absense of it (don't get me wrong, the brownfit is SUPER stylish). I think it is so unbelievably rare to express yourself without any emphasis on superficial subtext. I spend way too much time playing dress up everyday, which is probably why I find the moth-eaten elbows and pantyline pants so fascinating. Like, there is no room for a fat day...I have at least 6 pairs of pants that are donut-gut specific.  Have pancake ass? Got pants for that. Mom tits? Bras for that. Maybe I'll do this entire tour in a weathered mumu and a sports bra with grandma beige underwear.