SPECULATION: I don't wanna read a thing

Started by MusiKel Mama, Feb 26, 2015, 10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

I hate posting pictures of cans of SpaghettiO's

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Taterbug

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 26, 2015, 01:56 PM
I hate posting pictures of cans of SpaghettiO's

I prefer Spaghettios over Celine Dion & Joey Lawrence lubed abs  :cheesy:
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

MusiKel Mama

So I read this thing in this Greil Marcus book I'm reading called "Mystery Train":

The audience that gather around rock n rollers are as close to that ideal community as anyone gets. The real drama of a performer's careers comes when the ideal that one can hear in the music and the audience that the artist really attracts begin to affect each other. No artist can predict, let alone control, what an audience will make of his images; yet no rock n roller can exist without a relationship with an audience, whether it is the imaginary audience one begins with, or the all-too-real confusion of the audience one wins.

The best popular artists create immediate links between people who might have nothing in common but a response to their work, but the best popular artists never stop trying to understand the impact of their work on their audiences. That means their ideal images must change as their understanding grows. One may find horror where one expected only pleasure; one may find the truth one told has already become a lie. If the audience demands only more of what it has already accepted, the artist has a choice. He can move on, and perhaps cut himself off from his audience; if he does, his work will lose all the vitality and strength it has when he knew it mattered to other people. Or the artist can accept the audience's image of himself, pretend that his audience is his shadowy ideal, and lose himself in the audience. Then he will only be able to conform; he will never be able to create.

The most interesting rock n rollers sometimes go to these extremes; most don't, because these are the contradictions they struggle with more than resolve. The tension between community and self-reliance; between distance from one's audience and affection for it; between the shared experience of popular culture and the special talents of artists who both draw on that shared experience and change it- these are the things that make rock n roll at its best a democratic art... 

I think a lot of these things hit at the heart of what I am trying to express...these contradictions that seem to "counter-intuitively" rely on each other. And I think it is a testament to the gifts that the members of the band possess that make it so easy for them to navigate what I find so confusing.  There are so many factors in the process that are so controlled, but which also require the relinquishing of control.  The very notion of propaganda and corporate control are only contentious to those who contend.  It is only they who have given way to all these forces, that can find and determine their own path...

I think at the heart of it, when you love a band or a form of art, you revel in change so long as it is free from restriction...but I suppose even restriction is a self-imposed boundary...

Alas, confusion remains.

millerjustin

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 26, 2015, 01:53 PM
Quote from: MusiKel Mama on Feb 26, 2015, 01:02 PM
Bottom line, I don't know dick about the music industry. I have no right to say anything about how anyone runs their life and/or career...

Usually, when someone thinks they "have no right to say anything about how anyone runs their life and/or career", they don't say anything about how anyone runs their life and/or career. Usually.

Right? 

*stops reading 1000 word unibomber missive after first sentence*

btw, did mamakel get a new handle or something?
What's in here won't disappear

APR

Quote from: millerjustin on Feb 26, 2015, 04:34 PM
Bottom line, I don't know dick about the music industry. I have no right to say anything about how anyone runs their life and/or career...

Usually, when someone thinks they "have no right to say anything about how anyone runs their life and/or career", they don't say anything about how anyone runs their life and/or career. Usually.

Right? 

*stops reading 1000 word unibomber missive after first sentence*

I felt like I just read an incredible SNL sketch script or something with that last "Usually."  And to immediately follow that with millerjustin's "Right?" added to that just perfectly.

MusiKel Mama

It is Mama Kel. I hadn't been on in a couple years, but after OBH, wanted to try it out again. Just love the band and thought it might be a good place to write. But I apparently offend people on this forum, so I think I will go back to doing my own thing. Hope you all enjoy the album, and this summer's tour!

pattilovesmmj

USUALLY: usually, anyone on this forum writes their feelings about the band, good or bad - right?    Usually, people on this forum are nice in their comments about what someone else is commenting/writing about - right?

Santo

Quote from: pattilovesmmj on Feb 26, 2015, 05:13 PM
USUALLY: usually, anyone on this forum writes their feelings about the band, good or bad - right?    Usually, people on this forum are nice in their comments about what someone else is commenting/writing about - right?

Right on!

walterfredo

I believe she has had at least 3 or 4 handles over the years, and then deletes the accounts.  Just pure SPECULATION on my part..

ericm

Quote from: walterfredo on Feb 26, 2015, 05:42 PM

I believe she has had at least 3 or 4 handles over the years, and then deletes the accounts.  Just pure SPECULATION on my part..

I can see it now.... SPECULATION, and USUALLY will be a part of the forum lexicon forever!  :grin:
"Where's Jim going?"

bluesky

just catching up here (not on the forum as much since all the changes). I thought this thread was about the album being leaked? read through and really not much actually said about that....  :huh:

walterfredo

Quote from: bluesky on Feb 26, 2015, 06:20 PM
just catching up here (not on the forum as much since all the changes). I thought this thread was about the album being leaked? read through and really not much actually said about that....  :huh:

a single track was yesterday, Big Decisions.  Posted on several sites, and pulled from all. 

bluesky

thanks Walterfredo! I caught that. But the album, that's a little different. Hope you are enjoying the California sunshine!!! (cold here)

gardenparty

they say the new song was co written by Dan Wilson of Semisonic
http://www.danwilsonmusic.com/about/official-bio

can't wait to hear it

e_wind

Quote from: vespachick on Feb 26, 2015, 12:46 PM
Quote from: getinthevan on Feb 26, 2015, 12:32 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on Feb 26, 2015, 12:30 PM
I can't stop signing "Speculation" ala "Strangulation"

I wish that was the way I read it. Now I have Aerosmith's "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" stuck in my head.

Goddammit, Van!

I just noticed the title of this thread and laughed out loud
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Santo on Feb 26, 2015, 05:24 PM

Right on!

u·su·al·ly
ˈyo͞oZH(əw)əlē/

done, found, or used most of the time or in most cases : normal or regular.

You are correct and I agree 100%. Usually, people on this forum are nice in their comments about what someone else is commenting/writing about.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Mr. White

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 26, 2015, 10:49 PM
Quote from: Santo on Feb 26, 2015, 05:24 PM

Right on!

u·su·al·ly
ˈyo͞oZH(əw)əlē/

done, found, or used most of the time or in most cases : normal or regular.

You are correct and I agree 100%. Usually, people on this forum are nice in their comments about what someone else is commenting/writing about.

Good to have you posting again, Tracy!
I'm usually nice, but I've been an ass on here more than a couple of times, and I'm sorry for it. - will try harder.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

byrdpickem

Between this and the aerosmith reference my keyboard is covered in coffee. And Mama, we aren't offended; the post just came off a bit ironic considering your sources. Marx was an advocate for free press: so post away sister. That being said when you post such a radical, passionate side to this matter, you've got to expect a few difference of opinions. We don't want anyone to disappear or get angry. This is a forum. Debate, joke, jab - all in good fun.

It's music. It's supposed to be fun. It's a luxury. I'm excited. Probably too excited. However, it's not altering any critical life decisions for my family (except where we will be vacationing for the next 10 years).

Santo

Quote from: byrdpickem on Feb 27, 2015, 08:55 AM

That being said when you post such a radical, passionate side to this matter, you've got to expect a few difference of opinions. We don't want anyone to disappear or get angry. This is a forum. Debate, joke, jab - all in good fun.

Differences of opinion, debate, jabs are all good. Stifling conversation is a different story. But that's just one man's opinion. I've enjoyed Mama's posts and I hope she sticks around.

millerjustin

no offense intended and profuse apologies to mamakel etc if any taken....I was just joking about the length of posts....which isn't necessarily a bad thing.....I'm just a simple man with sound bite levels of attention span....ADD at it's worst.

cheers and carry on
What's in here won't disappear