The waterfall tracklisting

Started by MOWJO8185, Mar 02, 2015, 11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LB

interesting article, parkervb. I dont know what to think with all this negative hype for the waterfall...I'm just gonna take the album as is. People still describe Evil Urges as bad but they have transformed those songs into some awesome fucking experiences live so I have faith in the Jacket and what they do, ya know?
no you never gotta fight with me

justbcuzido

Well based on his intro statement, I think he wants them to make another At Dawn/ISM. He seems to only be interested in the "Southern Rock" sound. Well, I mean I think Jim and the boys are passed that and want to keep experimenting. I didn't take that he listened to the whole album (maybe he did) and is judging it off Big Decisions.

At Dawn/ISM are my favorites, but I don't expect or want that record to be made again. I support that they want to keep experimenting and changing. No matter what it will always have the "Jacket" sound to it.

I feel this album will be Evil Urges + ROLSOG mixed.. so a bit of spacey soul music mixed with some 80's synth rock thrown in the mix based on what we have heard.

I can't wait to listen to it three times before I form my opinion.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

LB

Quote from: justbcuzido on Mar 13, 2015, 04:42 PM
I didn't take that he listened to the whole album (maybe he did) and is judging it off Big Decisions.

ohhhhh ok

jwb

Quote from: LB on Mar 13, 2015, 04:34 PM
interesting article, parkervb. I dont know what to think with all this negative hype for the waterfall...I'm just gonna take the album as is. People still describe Evil Urges as bad but they have transformed those songs into some awesome fucking experiences live so I have faith in the Jacket and what they do, ya know?

Is there a lot of negativity from people that have heard it?  Or just negative expectations?  I haven't heard anything.

LB

sorry, you are correct, negative expectations. maybe just cause i skim all the comments on youtube and facebook and see what people say.

Regardless, I'm very excited for this summer tour and can't wait to hear the album. I've had Only Memories stuck in my head for the past couple of days

EverythingChanges

Quote from: LB on Mar 13, 2015, 05:14 PM
sorry, you are correct, negative expectations. maybe just cause i skim all the comments on youtube and facebook and see what people say.

Regardless, I'm very excited for this summer tour and can't wait to hear the album. I've had Only Memories stuck in my head for the past couple of days

There's already one song that is better than anything on Circuital that we know of!  Although, I really like Wonderful.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

justbcuzido

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 13, 2015, 05:28 PM

There's already one song that is better than anything on Circuital that we know of!  Although, I really like Wonderful.

I agree, I was actually listening to Only Memories while reading that article and felt that song alone will be worth the price of admission. I could see it being up there with War Begun/Phone in terms of live performances.

I think overall the sound will be different, cleaner production and no reverb. You're going to win and lose fans with every new album (especially when you dare to do different). I for one am excited and go in with only one expectation, that I will give it it's fare shot.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: justbcuzido on Mar 13, 2015, 05:43 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 13, 2015, 05:28 PM

I agree, I was actually listening to Only Memories while reading that article and felt that song alone will be worth the price of admission. I could see it being up there with War Begun/Phone in terms of live performances.

I think overall the sound will be different, cleaner production and no reverb. You're going to win and lose fans with every new album (especially when you dare to do different). I for one am excited and go in with only one expectation, that I will give it it's fare shot.

Definitely.

However, I think there is a greater chance for Only Memories to be the best song on the album than any other song.  I just have a feeling that it is the "Dondante" of the album.  However, this doesn't mean there won't be some awesome rock songs like TWTHS or Anytime etc.  However, I could be wrong.  Smokin' from Shootin' has turned out to be one of my top 5 favorite MMJ songs, and at first listen I would have said Touch Me Pt. 2 was the best song on EU.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

highwaytothedangerzone

I always thought Touch Me Pt 1 was an underrated song off of Evil Urges (killer bass and drum combo). I didn't mind EU- it did pull in a lot of directions but sometimes there is something magical/liberating in being torn apart  :smiley:. Excited to see the boys live in a few months!! Calm before the storm..
What's in Here won't disappear

parkervb

Well based on his intro statement, I think he wants them to make another At Dawn/ISM. He seems to only be interested in the "Southern Rock" sound. Well, I mean I think Jim and the boys are passed that and want to keep experimenting. I didn't take that he listened to the whole album (maybe he did) and is judging it off Big Decisions.

At Dawn/ISM are my favorites, but I don't expect or want that record to be made again. I support that they want to keep experimenting and changing. No matter what it will always have the "Jacket" sound to it.

I feel this album will be Evil Urges + ROLSOG mixed.. so a bit of spacey soul music mixed with some 80's synth rock thrown in the mix based on what we have heard.

i, too, like to get 3 listens in before forming a strong opinion on albums and i also very much agree that the band is way past any Southern rock classification they may have been given.  I think for the purpose of his theme in that post, he lumped them in with some bands from the South.
Don't you ever turn it off

Santo

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 16, 2015, 09:06 AM

i, too, like to get 3 listens in before forming a strong opinion on albums and i also very much agree that the band is way past any Southern rock classification they may have been given.  I think for the purpose of his theme in that post, he lumped them in with some bands from the South.

Kind of reminds me of the Jim James GQ interview from a few years back. I think it helps to make a MMJ release exciting...

GQ:You started as an alt-country band—your sound has broadened so much over the years, I think it would be hard to call you that now.

Jim James: A lot of people say we shoot ourselves in the foot with variety, but if I'm not being moved by alt-country, why would I keep making those types of records? It seems like bands are taught that making the same record over and over again is the vehicle to success, but I've always loved getting a record by one of my favorite bands and having it be something completely different. You still hear the heart and soul of the band—artists like Bjork, Erykah Badu, and Radiohead—but when you get their new record, you have no idea what it's going to sound like.

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/music/201111/jim-james-my-morning-jacket-gq-music-issue

oistheone

Looks like Hyden has definitely heard the album. If he has, I'm guessing some other critics have too! Should be a good writeup on Grantland in a few weeks, I'd think.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I wasn&#39;t crazy about the new My Morning Jacket album after the first few listens but I am now pretty crazy about it. Should sound huge live.</p>&mdash; Steven Hyden (@Steven_Hyden) <a href="https://twitter.com/Steven_Hyden/status/577862818688462848">March 17, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wouldn't be surprised if this leaks a few weeks early.

robb

Quote from: oistheone on Mar 17, 2015, 12:13 PM
Looks like Hyden has definitely heard the album. If he has, I'm guessing some other critics have too! Should be a good writeup on Grantland in a few weeks, I'd think.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I wasn't crazy about the new My Morning Jacket album after the first few listens but I am now pretty crazy about it. Should sound huge live.</p>&mdash; Steven Hyden (@Steven_Hyden) <a href="https://twitter.com/Steven_Hyden/status/577862818688462848">March 17, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Circuital leaked on May 3rd and was scheduled to be released on May 31. I'd say there's a very good chance this follows a similar pattern.

edit: I'm thinking we might get a chance to listen within a couple weeks.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

highwaytothedangerzone

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I wasn&#39;t crazy about the new My Morning Jacket album after the first few listens but I am now pretty crazy about it. Should sound huge live.</p>&mdash; Steven Hyden (@Steven_Hyden) <a href="https://twitter.com/Steven_Hyden/status/577862818688462848">March 17, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The comments on Steve's Twitter post are interesting too-- seems like several of the ppl commenting mention a variety of different songs that they are digging, should be in for a well rounded album! Also worth mentioning "Compound Fracture" was raved about and no mention of "Only Memories Remain".  Getting more and more excited  :cheesy:

MusiKel Mama

You know what? I am so goddamn grateful to this band, and am just genuinely thrilled to be a part of this little webbed universe. Every single day there is something new to appreciate...some little token to behold...some little joy to revel in. I don't know where this record will take me, or any of us...but it is just a fucking thrill to know that it will be special and filled with love and kindness and good folks/jokes and damn jams. Feel like I got the keys to the kingdom, gang.

parkervb

Quote from: highwaytothedangerzone on Mar 17, 2015, 01:41 PM

The comments on Steve's Twitter post are interesting too-- seems like several of the ppl commenting mention a variety of different songs that they are digging, should be in for a well rounded album! Also worth mentioning "Compound Fracture" was raved about and no mention of "Only Memories Remain".  Getting more and more excited  :cheesy:

yea, Ryan Leas from Stereogum says he's heard it and I am really interested in what he  meant by the ending of "Tropics" is going to be a crazy addition to the live show.
Don't you ever turn it off

highwaytothedangerzone

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 17, 2015, 03:06 PM
Quote from: highwaytothedangerzone on Mar 17, 2015, 01:41 PM

yea, Ryan Leas from Stereogum says he's heard it and I am really interested in what he  meant by the ending of "Tropics" is going to be a crazy addition to the live show.

I'm not too hip with uploading pictures on here but in that same conversation (a continuation of it anyways) that Ryan Leas guy says "That one really grew on me after a few listens, should also be kill live. It was just used in an episode of the Blacklist, oddly"- My impression was that he is referring to the new song "Spring (Among the living)" Does anyone watch that show and hear anything or did i misinterpret the Twitter convo?!

meltingaway

From Rich Thane, founder of @BestFitMusic in London

Rich Thane @richthane  ·  1h 1 hour ago
the new My Morning Jacket album is easily the best thing they've done since It Still Moves and you can take that to the motherfucking bank.

oh boy, thems strong words

crooney

It Still Moves!!  Wow, the anticipation is skyrocketing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highwaytothedangerzone

Update: A new song was used in a episode of the Blacklist http://www.tunefind.com/show/the-blacklist/season-2/22120.. and http://www.heardontv.com/tvshow/The+Blacklist/Season+2/T.+Earl+King+VI. Hope someone caught it or can DVR that and let us know how it sounded  :thumbsup: (sometimes the links don't work for me? but it says "Spring (Among the Living)" Season 2 Episode 14 T. Earl King VI Playing when cops raiding the Kings)

Also: Great find on that Rich post!...Best since It Still Moves, wha?!?!? sweeeeet!