Music You Like More Than MMJ?

Started by sweatboard, Mar 05, 2015, 11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 06, 2015, 10:52 PM
MMJ would've remained in my all-time Top 10 if EU and Circuital were better (I must say Circuital marked a return to form, IMO, but still not up to the standard of Z or even the uneven It Still Moves).

Lulz

Jaimoe

Quote from: Murph on Mar 06, 2015, 11:07 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 06, 2015, 10:52 PM
MMJ would've remained in my all-time Top 10 if EU and Circuital were better (I must say Circuital marked a return to form, IMO, but still not up to the standard of Z or even the uneven It Still Moves).

Lulz

What does lulz mean? Anyway, I think It Still Moves drifts too much, hence uneven. But the highs are very high and it's still my first pick for newbies, unless said newbies are folkies, then I'd go with the first two albums.

Tracy 2112

Not only do I like Rush more than MMJ, they're a better band than MMJ.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 07, 2015, 01:00 AM

I agree with you, but only up to Signals... or Power Windows, with all due respect to Clockwork Angels, which kicks major ass.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 07, 2015, 01:23 AM

I agree with you, but only up to Signals... or Power Windows, with all due respect to Clockwork Angels, which kicks major ass.

I always take it up to Grace Under Pressure, but there's some admitted nostalgic sentimentality attached to that one
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 07, 2015, 01:42 AM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 07, 2015, 01:23 AM

I always take it up to Grace Under Pressure, but there's some admitted nostalgic sentimentality attached to that one

I often confuse those two. I'll give you Grace. The last album was good though. Ballsy.

ffghtrs

my favorite band is Wilco...but that doesn't mean that i enjoy MMJ more or less.  It's just i have had Wilco in my system since i was fifteen and MMJ since i was 18.  it's also not chronological either because truth is i relate more to Tweedy's lyrics than I do Jim's.  also i'm star struck as my buddy jerry put it, by Jim and not really by Jeff.  I was two feet away from Jim on the street and i had no words for quite a while.  to meet someone who makes that kinda music, i would really like to be sounding quite with it, intelligently, musically and just being cool and by cool i mean not like OH MY GOD JIM!!! Bscially not pull an american dad on him.  Also the time i saw him on the street he was walking with Jay Farrar, Will Johnson, and Anders Parker, all amazing musicians.  And i didn't want to just be hey Jim and only talk to him.  Jay Farrar is a legend, and Will and Anders make such great music, i needed be respectable...so naturally i let them walk by me and i yell holy shit.  like maroon.  but it was worth it cuz really i seem mellow but neurotic and weird like everyone.  So I should also mention the first time i was listening to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot i was in a lot of emotion distress.  Puberty really...fucking a man...anywho first song i heard was Jesus Etc.  and then i started the album over which put I AM Tyring TO Break Your Heart On and i just had a great afternoon and a release. which was weird.  but any who i love MMj And I Love Wilco.  But really no one leads but Wilco is my fav and i did grow up just outside Chicago!
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

Mahgeetah34

MMJ is the most consistent band out there. I won't really count Circuital since it was Muppet throwaway songs. Fleet Foxes come in a close second. Not many bands worth buying their albums knowing it'll be worth your money and you can play from front to back.

pjthom30

I agree Yankee Hotel changed my musical taste. They opened my eyes to so many other band's that stemmed off of Wilco.
I was also listening to Dylan and The rolling stones Exile On Main Street a lot. That's when I got into Son Volt, MMJ, Jayhawks, Golden Smog and other Alt Country rock bands.

e_wind

Quote from: ffghtrs on Mar 07, 2015, 03:47 AM
my favorite band is Wilco...but that doesn't mean that i enjoy MMJ more or less.  It's just i have had Wilco in my system since i was fifteen and MMJ since i was 18.  it's also not chronological either because truth is i relate more to Tweedy's lyrics than I do Jim's.  also i'm star struck as my buddy jerry put it, by Jim and not really by Jeff.  I was two feet away from Jim on the street and i had no words for quite a while.  to meet someone who makes that kinda music, i would really like to be sounding quite with it, intelligently, musically and just being cool and by cool i mean not like OH MY GOD JIM!!! Bscially not pull an american dad on him.  Also the time i saw him on the street he was walking with Jay Farrar, Will Johnson, and Anders Parker, all amazing musicians.  And i didn't want to just be hey Jim and only talk to him.  Jay Farrar is a legend, and Will and Anders make such great music, i needed be respectable...so naturally i let them walk by me and i yell holy shit.  like maroon.  but it was worth it cuz really i seem mellow but neurotic and weird like everyone.  So I should also mention the first time i was listening to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot i was in a lot of emotion distress.  Puberty really...fucking a man...anywho first song i heard was Jesus Etc.  and then i started the album over which put I AM Tyring TO Break Your Heart On and i just had a great afternoon and a release. which was weird.  but any who i love MMj And I Love Wilco.  But really no one leads but Wilco is my fav and i did grow up just outside Chicago!

90% of my post is the opposite when comparing these bands.

I live in Louisville. I've liked MMJ longer. I'm star struck by Jeff, but not Jim. MMJ changed my musical perspective, which lead me to Wilco.

However, I like Tweedy's lyrics more, and I find Wilco to be more consistent.(0 weak records, IMO) and YHF is my favorite album ever. Wilco is my favorite band in the studio.

MMJ is the best band I've ever seen on the stage, though. Which is why I've seen MMJ/Jim over 50 times, and Wilco only about 10.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Willard1979

R.E.M. has been my favorite band since 1991. I love everything they've put out. MMJ is a very very close 2nd.

iLikeBeer

All time, nobody will ever top the Dead for me.

Current bands, I have to agree with ewind in that Wilco is my favorite in studio band and The National are right up there with them.  But from a live perspective, MMJ is hands down the best live act on the planet hands down and this gives them the overall edge in my book...

Jaimoe

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Mar 10, 2015, 01:25 PM
All time, nobody will ever top the Dead for me.

Current bands, I have to agree with ewind in that Wilco is my favorite in studio band and The National are right up there with them.  But from a live perspective, MMJ is hands down the best live act on the planet hands down and this gives them the overall edge in my book...

Jack White can hold his own with MMJ live. So can Arcade Fire and Radiohead. Not many are better though touring today. The only recent bands that I've loved as much or more  than MMJ on any given night, in concert, are The White Stripes and The Soundtrack Of Our Lives. R.I.P. to both of them.

JerseyDan

Radiohead & The National are probably the only bands I hold in the same regard as MMJ. I think each has a record I dislike versus the rest of their catalog (EU, K of L, TWFM), but otherwise are perfect to me.

The issue I have is bands who have a perfect record I couldn't live without:

10,000 Manics - MTV Unplugged
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, Its Morning
Wheat - Hope & Adams
Nada Surf - Let Go
David Gray - A Century Ends
The Glands - The Glands
Radiohead - Kid A
The Wrens - The Meadowlands
Arcade Fire - Funeral

Petty55

To concur with most others right now it's mmj at one just because they're arguably still I'm their prime and I would say they're the best band in my lifetime. Having said that I would put the following right up with them:

Tom Petty n Heartbreakers
Zeppelin
Neil
Beatles
Jackson Browne
Dylan
Hendrix
Stones
The Doors.

I guess that's it but damn is it tough to choose.

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

dmooney99

Pearl Jam
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Arctic Monkeys
Queens Of The Stone Age

... and a few others.

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: JerseyDan on Mar 11, 2015, 12:26 AM
Radiohead & The National are probably the only bands I hold in the same regard as MMJ. I think each has a record I dislike versus the rest of their catalog (EU, K of L, TWFM), but otherwise are perfect to me.

The issue I have is bands who have a perfect record I couldn't live without:

10,000 Manics - MTV Unplugged
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, Its Morning
Wheat - Hope & Adams
Nada Surf - Let Go
David Gray - A Century Ends
The Glands - The Glands
Radiohead - Kid A
The Wrens - The Meadowlands
Arcade Fire - Funeral

I am surprised you would put TWFM at same level of EU & K of L.  I think it is a fantastic album and would be my 3rd or 4th favorite.  and with the national the margin between albums is thin.   

I love your love for the Meadowlands.  Fantastic album!!! We get new Wrens this year!

Ob1jacobe

I guess i should play & not just comment on other  :grin:

Bands > MMJ (to me)

- The National
- Radiohead
- Blur

Bands = MMJ

- Wilco

Bands with potential to be equal

- War on Drugs
- Sturgill Simpson (please don't let Atlantic records or sudden rise to fame screw him up)
- Tame Impala

Classic in Class of their own
- Stones
- Zeppelin
- Beatles

kvgq420