Main Menu

MMJ 101

Started by mynameiscurt, Mar 11, 2015, 10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mynameiscurt

Taking a bunch of MMJ newbies on the road with me this summer to both the MPP and Red Rocks shows.  They are going mainly on the live reputation of the band, and have little if any experience with the music. 

I'm trying to get them started with a series of mix CD's to rock between now and the shows to hopefully build the anticipation before the show.  I am keeping the mixes concise and to 10 tunes each.  I started working on the first "Intro" playlist last night.  Instead of trying to put in my 10 favorite tunes, I wanted to showcase some of the more accessible tunes for a newby, and have some range with a little something from each album.  Here's what I came up with.

1. Wordless Chorus - Z
2. Circuital - Circuital
3. I'm Amazed - Evil Urges
4. Anytime - Z
5. Heartbreakin Man - Tennessee Fire
6. Golden - It Still Moves
7. Big Decisions - Waterfall
8. The Way That He Sings - At Dawn
9. Touch Me Pt. 2 - Evil Uges
10. One Big Holiday (Live) - Okonokos

Obviously plan on following up with deeper cuts.  Thoughts?  What 10 Jacket Tunes would yal throw out on a mix cd to peak interest in the band?

parkervb

I think you have to throw either Steam Engine or Dondante on the first mix to show off their more majestic side.
Don't you ever turn it off

rincon2

Drug em right up the way, like I was. After watching Okoknokos 3 times they were at the top of my heap.
1. Wordless
2.It beats
3. OBH
4.TWTHS
5. Golden
6. Xmas Curtain
7. O is the One
8. Steam
9. Run Through
10. toss up Magheeta/Dondonte

It that does not make the hair on the back of their necks stand up, take me to the shows.

rdylanoconnor

Think Rincon2 hit the nail on the head but might add Lay Low and PWW.  Another suggestion, be sure the songs you give them are from live recordings...older recordings (i.e. Tenn Fire, At Dawn) aren't even close to the live stuff

Also suggest night 3 at the Cap in 2012 - first 9 songs are ridiculous

Or night one at OBH 2

vespachick

If you're on Spotify, JamBase has a sweet MMJ Live playlist.  There's nothing on it post-Z, so know that, but it's a nice little playlist.   

https://open.spotify.com/user/jambase/playlist/6P7cAjOJjbwNXKi5PfeOmC
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

davymac

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 11, 2015, 10:41 AM
I think you have to throw either Steam Engine or Dondante on the first mix to show off their more majestic side.

This ^.  I'd personally throw a Run Thru, Magheetah, & Phone Went West in the mix too.

millerjustin

give them Okonokos as 101, and once hooked, burn PC3 and OBH on disks for them.  They'll never be the same
What's in here won't disappear

rincon2

Quote from: rdylanoconnor on Mar 11, 2015, 11:37 AM
Think Rincon2 hit the nail on the head but might add Lay Low and PWW.  Another suggestion, be sure the songs you give them are from live recordings...older recordings (i.e. Tenn Fire, At Dawn) aren't even close to the live stuff

Or night one at OBH 2
I already went 1 song over 10. I actually forgot Lay Low and Off The Record. What would I take off the original list? Impossible.  (My personal take is if you make an only 10 song mix, make it WAV, so it can play on any CD player. Plus It actually is PHYSICAL)

mynameiscurt

Good comments!  Yah, I was admittedly going a little Vanilla to get the feet wet and then was gonna hit with the burners and then drop a live show on em.  That Cap 2012 Night 3 was great, probably my favorite show I've been to (all three nights were great).  Anyways, just thought this was a fun exercise to get started.  May have to expand to 12 to ad some of the suggestions and follow with the live material. 

mynameiscurt

Quote from: rdylanoconnor on Mar 11, 2015, 11:37 AM

Or night one at OBH 2

I am bout to listen to Night 3 Cap now.......thanks for the primer!

rincon2

Quote from: mynameiscurt on Mar 11, 2015, 01:24 PM
Good comments!  Yah, I was admittedly going a little Vanilla to get the feet wet and then was gonna hit with the burners and then drop a live show on em.  That Cap 2012 Night 3 was great, probably my favorite show I've been to (all three nights were great).  Anyways, just thought this was a fun exercise to get started.  May have to expand to 12 to ad some of the suggestions and follow with the live material.
The subtlety of MMJ is undoubtably very significant, but it ain't what hooked me. Hit em with an undeniable sledgehammer, and they will repeatedly do the same. Then, when they are literally mentally addicted, and all resistance is gone, the vast studio world of My Morning Jacket is there for them to explore and pick up the nuances and gentle beauty of the band that just crushed their skulls!!

SplatSplatSplat

Wordless
Circuital
Big D
Off the Record
The Bear
Golden
Lowdown
I'm Amazed
Don Donte
OBH

You need it.  That's for sure.

consigliare

Have them WATCH both the Okonos video as well as the MMJ Storytellers video.  There are probably others available, but as they are not likely to be official band releases, quality would be an issue - there used to be a Forecastle video on Youtube that was pretty good, but I believe it was taken down a few months back. 

When people SEE musicians play, they obtain a much greater appreciation and understanding.   

In the event that I am a complete moron and not aware that there are videos of all 3 nights of OBH1, have them watch each of those.  In the event that it is not available, and a person having the band's ear is reading this, please lobby for the production and release of the same - I am sure most of us would love to relive that great, great time of our lives!       

Max5130

Quote from: mynameiscurt on Mar 11, 2015, 10:25 AM
Taking a bunch of MMJ newbies on the road with me this summer to both the MPP and Red Rocks shows.  They are going mainly on the live reputation of the band, and have little if any experience with the music. 

I'm trying to get them started with a series of mix CD's to rock between now and the shows to hopefully build the anticipation before the show.  I am keeping the mixes concise and to 10 tunes each.  I started working on the first "Intro" playlist last night.  Instead of trying to put in my 10 favorite tunes, I wanted to showcase some of the more accessible tunes for a newby, and have some range with a little something from each album.  Here's what I came up with.

1. Wordless Chorus - Z
2. Circuital - Circuital
3. I'm Amazed - Evil Urges
4. Anytime - Z
5. Heartbreakin Man - Tennessee Fire
6. Golden - It Still Moves
7. Big Decisions - Waterfall
8. The Way That He Sings - At Dawn
9. Touch Me Pt. 2 - Evil Uges
10. One Big Holiday (Live) - Okonokos

Obviously plan on following up with deeper cuts.  Thoughts?  What 10 Jacket Tunes would yal throw out on a mix cd to peak interest in the band?
Those are a bunch of lucky MMJ newbies!

mind at large

wonderful
bermuda highway
where to begin
war begun
gideon
the dark
easy morning rebel
masterplan
twilight
run thru

EverythingChanges

I think you should go with something more like this:

Wordless Chorus - Okonokos
Gideon - Okonokos
TWTHS - Okonokos
Golden - Okonokos
OBH - Okonokos
Mahgeetah - Okonokos (replace this one with Dondante or Steam if your friends enjoy more weighty music)
I'm Amazed - EU
Big Decisions - TWF
Librarian - EU (complain all you want, but this is one of the only songs I can get some of my friends to listen to from MMJ)
Touch Me Pt. 2 - EU
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Bulldog

Quote from: consigliare on Mar 11, 2015, 04:09 PM
Have them WATCH both the Okonos video as well as the MMJ Storytellers video.  There are probably others available, but as they are not likely to be official band releases, quality would be an issue - there used to be a Forecastle video on Youtube that was pretty good, but I believe it was taken down a few months back. 

When people SEE musicians play, they obtain a much greater appreciation and understanding.   

In the event that I am a complete moron and not aware that there are videos of all 3 nights of OBH1, have them watch each of those.  In the event that it is not available, and a person having the band's ear is reading this, please lobby for the production and release of the same - I am sure most of us would love to relive that great, great time of our lives!     

Story Tellers did it for me, I was floored and hooked on the spot.

Woldie

Play It Still Moves beginning to end.  Follow with Z.  Let the first live sounds be real live sounds.
"The owls are not what they seem."

Crispy

Quote from: Woldie on Mar 11, 2015, 10:25 PM
Play It Still Moves beginning to end.  Follow with Z.  Let the first live sounds be real live sounds.

I concur.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ffghtrs

Lay Low and honest man are rockers that every person in the world should hear!
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?