MMJ covering the Grateful Dead

Started by MrB, Jul 03, 2015, 04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrB

I keep hearing Jim's voice when I hear Jerry Garcia sing. Maybe JJ should have joined the Dead for the Fare Thee Well. Any other dead covers by MMJ besides IKYR and Brown Eyed Woman. Tennessee Jed anyone?

https://youtu.be/EMY2IX8gVrg

dookie shoot bandit

Funny...
I always thought they should have covered Tennessee Jed at Bonnaroo!!

MrB

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jul 03, 2015, 05:22 PM
Funny...
I always thought they should have covered Tennessee Jed at Bonnaroo!!
I would love to hear them cover that song. Every time I hear it I reimagine it being covered by them. Maybe we can get a spontaneous request going for Forecastle!

MrB

LBSUNFLWR

I just saw shirts on amazon with a steal your face with the owl in the center. and ones with Z in the center.

Stevie

Jim would have done an excellent job covering for Jerry vocally.  Guitar-wise, i'm not expert on this but i just don't think their playing styles jive whereas Trey seems to fit very well.  I say that about their improv style because obviously most accomplished guitarists could play a song note for note. 

tippitoes22

Quote from: Stevie on Jul 13, 2015, 07:51 PM
Jim would have done an excellent job covering for Jerry vocally.  Guitar-wise, i'm not expert on this but i just don't think their playing styles jive whereas Trey seems to fit very well.  I say that about their improv style because obviously most accomplished guitarists could play a song note for note. 

Agreed on the vocal part and really wish that would have happened. I say this as a person who was at the "Fare Thee  Well" shows in Chicago and the last "REAL" Dead shows in 1995. I would , as an old dead head (Saw about a 100 actual dead shows when Jerry was still alive, and 12...uh...13 :) glorious Jerry Garcia Band shows including a life changing 3 night run at The Warfield in SFO.
Jim's got "the voice" and Trey, at certain parts, SURPRISINGLY, had the licks down. But he did as I expected and reverted back to his incessant noodling on the majority of the jammed out parts. And I'm sorry to complain, but when I heard the first couple notes of Althea I was  SO STOKED!!!...then Trey started singing and :( He can play his noodley style off guitar very well, but I don't think anyone will argue vocal skills between him and Yim. Jim's got a great voice and plays Rock-n-Roll guitar. Trey's got a mediocre, at best, voice and is a very accomplished jammy noodler, but singing Jerry !?!
NO THANK YOU! Honestly the whole thing smelled a little Phishy. :cry:
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

justbcuzido

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Jul 14, 2015, 12:20 AM
Quote from: Stevie on Jul 13, 2015, 07:51 PM

Agreed on the vocal part and really wish that would have happened. I say this as a person who was at the "Fare Thee  Well" shows in Chicago and the last "REAL" Dead shows in 1995. I would , as an old dead head (Saw about a 100 actual dead shows when Jerry was still alive, and 12...uh...13 :) glorious Jerry Garcia Band shows including a life changing 3 night run at The Warfield in SFO.
Jim's got "the voice" and Trey, at certain parts, SURPRISINGLY, had the licks down. But he did as I expected and reverted back to his incessant noodling on the majority of the jammed out parts. And I'm sorry to complain, but when I heard the first couple notes of Althea I was  SO STOKED!!!...then Trey started singing and :( He can play his noodley style off guitar very well, but I don't think anyone will argue vocal skills between him and Yim. Jim's got a great voice and plays Rock-n-Roll guitar. Trey's got a mediocre, at best, voice and is a very accomplished jammy noodler, but singing Jerry !?!
NO THANK YOU! Honestly the whole thing smelled a little Phishy. :cry:

I agree here. Something I have noticed in the last few years at Jacket has gotten more Jammy, is when Jim starts noodling a bit it does remind me of Jerry in the way it seemed Jerry just kind of got lost. I think of any of the recent live versions of "Phone Went West", when Jim starts with the middle solo and he's in outter space mode, I feel the spirit of Jerry playing.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Lonndown27

MMJ should totally cover FRANKLINS TOWER ! like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0pdFViRNu8 . Jims voice = perfect golden goodness for this!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

MrB

If I were running MMJ's marketing dept, I'd have them play a set of dead tunes, social media the hell out of it, and watch all the deadheads come running. On second thought, nahh bad idea, it would spoil this good thing we got.

Lonndown27

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

tippitoes22

Quote from: MrB on Jul 15, 2015, 09:19 AM
If I were running MMJ's marketing dept, I'd have them play a set of dead tunes, social media the hell out of it, and watch all the deadheads come running. On second thought, nahh bad idea, it would spoil this good thing we got.

Agreed, but if you don't think MMJ's "marketing department"(WARNER BROTHERS) isn't social media'ng the living shit outta the band, you're living in a fantasy world.
And it pains me to say this but just the difference between the way "circuital" was marketed/released vs. "The Waterfall" is vastly different. And thats just the last two albums. Sorry to say it, but from one smartass to another this "good thing" we got is already changing.

Again... Just one guys opinion
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

MrB

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Jul 16, 2015, 12:35 AM
And it pains me to say this but just the difference between the way "circuital" was marketed/released vs. "The Waterfall" is vastly different.
This release/tour does seem "different", whether it's the maturation of the band or more corporate control over the "product", could be a little of both. The fact that they aren't playing a whole lot of covers this tour seems like a concerted effort to promote the MMJ catalog and Jim's side project(s).

walterfredo

tippitoes, I don't think I missed a JGB show at the Warfield after 1992, always a sublime experience.  There was no rail between the stage and the crowd, and I recall a couple of times having my elbows on the stage.  Fans would toss their backpacks behind the speaker stacks on the stage.  So much fun!

tippitoes22

Agreed, Walterfredo! Was lucky enough to see some Warfield shows. Just Magic. The Dead were the dead, but seeing Just Jerry whispering "SeƱor, tales of Yankee power" with a group of awestruck "IN IT Fans"...GOD DAMN was that shit good. Magic! :thumbsup: