The 2nd album may be "completely dance and soul based"

Started by Stevie, May 05, 2015, 09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

I think Jim would dig the cilantro symbolism.    :beer:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Lonndown27

Quote from: jimsflyingv on May 08, 2015, 12:09 PM
DidnĀ“t Jim said recently he wants to do another live album again ? Would love to have a new live DVD and Vinyl from my favorite band :cheesy: Could live with a dance and soul album if it comes with a rockinĀ“live album shortly after

FUUUUUUUCK YEAH! !!!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

AtDawn

I don't think Jim wants to do another of anything, they are an evolving band which is what makes them so unique...honestly I don't think there's one album that doesn't make sense in the way they've evolved, except probably Circuital

that being said, I don't think "dance album" is being received as it was meant

Drizzler

The next album will be the best yet.  Don't get all worked up over speculation and over analyzing.  I dance my ass off at every single show, so bring on the dance music.  Rock some sound and sing to my soul.

johnnYYac

So, be on the lookout for some new tunes from the upcoming album to show up during this year's tour, perhaps.  This could be interesting, and exciting!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ericm

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 09, 2015, 01:39 PM
So, be on the lookout for some new tunes from the upcoming album to show up during this year's tour, perhaps.  This could be interesting, and exciting!

Could be John. If I remember right Circuital showed up live well before the album. Wonderful also I believe.
"Where's Jim going?"

cride3332

Circuital was played at the YUM! on 10/29/10...album wasn't released until May '11.

ericm

Quote from: cride3332 on May 09, 2015, 01:57 PM
Circuital was played at the YUM! on 10/29/10...album wasn't released until May '11.

It was played before that too. I know we got it at the Essex Jct. Vt. show, that summer, and the Philly Riverstage show too.  :beer:

"Where's Jim going?"

Cameron

Quote from: grizzy on May 05, 2015, 05:18 PM
Meh.

I mean, I'd obviously check it out cause I'm MMJ obsessed...BUT...I was sort of hoping for some rock and alt country folk from the boys on this 2nd part. Guess it's just not a direction Jim wants to go in anymore. I really love The Waterfall but sometimes feel Carl isn't utilized like he once was. I dunno...maybe I'm off on that.

"Dance" music doesn't move the needle for me. However, new jacket music is better than no jacket music.

i'm in this camp as well.  the last few years i've had to rely on j roddy and the biz for my rock/alt country fix.

jahabe08

Thank you Cameron.  :thumbsup: Suprisingly I had never heard of j roddy and the biz until reading your comment. Love em.

Mr. White

Quote from: jahabe08 on May 10, 2015, 11:31 PM
Thank you Cameron.  :thumbsup: Suprisingly I had never heard of j roddy and the biz until reading your comment. Love em.

J. Roddy & The Business are killer in concert! I heard about him/them for the first time from GO4IT while waiting in line for the Jim James solo tour opener at the Brown Theater in Louisville back in April of 2013. I finally got to see them at Headliners last year and may go there again in about two weeks to see them again. Real Rock and Roll!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Cameron

Quote from: jahabe08 on May 10, 2015, 11:31 PM

Nice. Glad I could help. When people ask me what they're like I always say 2003 MMJ.

Stevie

Could you suggest an album?  The first two songs i checked out on youtube were from Essential Tremors and i haven't really given it a fair shake yet but when you say 2003 MMJ i don't think of something nearly that bouncy and upbeat.  Again, i'm not trying to say it's bad i just got super intrigued at the thought of 2003 MMJ type of stuff  :wink:

Shug

Quote from: marino13 on May 07, 2015, 11:46 AM
I've read several reviews that have said The Waterfall is better than the last two albums because Jim basically toned down his wilder impulses and better meshed them with a more signature MMJ sound.  I agree with this line of thought, and picture this "dance" album to be all of Jim's shittiest wild impulses crapped onto a single shitty album.  I hope I'm wrong.  I really like The Waterfall so far, but it's about as far as I want them to go toward soul.  The thought that they now consider this to be a "rock" record scares me a bit.

Yeah, I'm shocked anyone would consider The Waterfall a "rock" album or guitar-oriented.  There is not one rock song on it, just a few brief spots within some songs that I would call rock.  I do hear a bunch of what is kind of quasi- 70s soul (falsetto vocals, smooth melodies, lush keyboards, static drum beats) or maybe soft rock ala 70s AM radio but there are no songs that are based primarily on aggressive guitar riffs (like Lay Low, Anytime, etc).

If Jim is calling this the rock record, I too am worried about what the next one is gonna sound like. 

I still have hope that some of these songs will become more powerful live, but at this point in my appreciation for The Waterfall, I'm not expecting too much.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Cameron

Quote from: Stevie on May 11, 2015, 12:46 PM
Could you suggest an album?  The first two songs i checked out on youtube were from Essential Tremors and i haven't really given it a fair shake yet but when you say 2003 MMJ i don't think of something nearly that bouncy and upbeat.  Again, i'm not trying to say it's bad i just got super intrigued at the thought of 2003 MMJ type of stuff  :wink:

Their second album is the one be that got me really into them. It's self titled. I like the newest one a lot too. You have to see them live to really get the comparison though but tracks like "brave man's death" and "pig & pearls" always reminded me of seeing MMJ back then.

jimsflyingv

Quote from: Shug on May 11, 2015, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I'm shocked anyone would consider The Waterfall a "rock" album or guitar-oriented....
If Jim is calling this the rock record, I too am worried about what the next one is gonna sound like. 
Absolutely especially since MMJ has written one of the best and catchiest guitar songs in a long time with One Big Holiday.

Seven Nation Army and OBH are for me the 2 guitar songs over the last 20 years that are truly unique. Always hoped for another MMJ song with a great riff and Jim and Carl ripping solos

spacewolf

Quote from: grizzy on May 05, 2015, 05:18 PMI really love The Waterfall but sometimes feel Carl isn't utilized like he once was. I dunno...maybe I'm off on that.

I was thinking this too after watching the KCRW cast. Carl seemed under-utilized. I really dig Jim's wild, dirty guitar attack but was also missing Carl's lead sounds.