JJ & Conor Together in London

Started by LaurieBlue, Nov 22, 2004, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.nme.com/news/110607.htm

NORTHERN (LINE) STARS!
He might be Number One in America, but BRIGHT EYES star CONOR OBERST still took time to play to just a handful of British fans at the weekend.

The singer played an intimate solo set at Boogaloo in London's Highgate on Friday night (November 19) in front of 150 people. The secret gig was only announced late on Thursday.

Oberst has become hot property since his two dual-release singles 'Lua' and 'Take It Easy' (Love Nothing)' hit the Number One and Two spots on the US Billboard Top 200.

Oberst' friend and collaborator Jim James of My Morning Jacket joined him for two songs. James performed 'At The Bottom Of Everything', the same song he plays with Oberst on Bright Eyes new album 'I'm Wide Awake This Morning'. The pair also performed 'Land Locked Blues'.

The setlist was:

'Big Picture'
'Lua'
'Train Under Water'
'True Blue'
'Land Locked Blues' (with Jim James)
'Bottom Of Everything' (with Jim James)
'Lover I Don't Have To Love' (on the piano)
'First Day Of My Life'
'Song To Pass The Time'
'June On The West Coast'
'New Song' (untitled, but the main refrain goes 'when the president talks to god')
'Waste of Paint'

MMJ_fanatic

hmmm, didn't realize Oberst had hit #1 in Billboard, tho' I'm not really a Billboard reader anyhoo.....interesting
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

tinyorangepig

yes, the bright eyes singles are great. check em out...

also the jim james collarboration tracks (and others) are starting to leak to file sharing....

bottom of everything starts out with a monologue that kinda sounds like a joke or a bad campfire story, and then turns into a song about a crashing airplane.  you can hear jim in the background with background vocals.  not a big deal, and it didnt sound like the reverb was there, but you can tell it is him if you are a fan.

land locked is also on the new album, but I havent heard that one yet.

t.o.p

dogandponyshow

tinyorangepig

what part do you not get?

bright eyes?

bright eyes and jim james?

the song?

or all of it.

t.o.p

MMJ_fanatic

speaking for myself (and possibly dogandpony too) I saw Bright Eyes twice on the first collaborative tour with JJ and m ward and just could not get into Bright Eyes in the slightest bit.  he had some lyrics that I thought were "neat twists of phrase" but other than that I personally had no positive connection with him.  this whole music thing is pretty personal tho' and I think we all realize here (being fairly minded people) that individual tastes range far and wide. ;)

dogandponyshow

MMJ Fanatic hit is right on the head....Bright Eyes just does not do for me at all.  Simple as that.  

D.

BeatTheDiese

i concur with you two. i've given them a shot or two and they just don't do anything for my ears.
- Adam

tinyorangepig

thats cool, and to each his own, but if I could make a couple of suggestions...try these out and if you hate em, no biggie....

from lifted....

lover i dont have to love
bowl of oranges

or from the new singles -

take it easy

and the bside - well whiskey

I dont know how to explain it, but the kid can write a catchy tune, with some vivid lyrics that paint a picture or tell a story.  and all of that is delivered with emotion either love, agony, or agnst.  i am no music writer, but his stuff just has a heart to it.

and the song with Jim really is a great one also.  jim adds alot to it with the backing vocals.

t.o.p

MMJ_fanatic

thanks--I'll check 'em out one more time ;)