People for a Louder Tom

Started by Colfax, Jun 15, 2015, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colfax

Tom is not loud enough in the mix for my tastes. No matter what, we're always going to hear the lead vocals or lead guitar. Bo is also plenty loud as without much difficulty I can lock into whatever color he is providing. Likewise, Patrick is miked excellently and beats those drums so hard that he'll never go unnoticed.

But right front and center is our man Tom who I often have difficulty hearing even when I'm locked in on him. We need to start a fangroup or petition or something to have this changed.

Who's with me?

oistheone

Ya know, I completely agree! Especially listening to some of the live bootlegs these days. Maybe it's a conscious choice and Tom just doesn't wanna be overpowering? On Okonokos I love how smooth and punchy his bass sounds. Sometimes I'm looking forward to a sweet bass line (like in the climax of Steam Engine) and it's just so damn hard to pick out those low-end licks.

TOOGANS

Everyone is a professional these days... :rolleyes:

Quote from: Colfax on Jun 15, 2015, 11:52 AM

Tom is not loud enough in the mix for my tastes. No matter what, we're always going to hear the lead vocals or lead guitar. Bo is also plenty loud as without much difficulty I can lock into whatever color he is providing. Likewise, Patrick is miked excellently and beats those drums so hard that he'll never go unnoticed.

But right front and center is our man Tom who I often have difficulty hearing even when I'm locked in on him. We need to start a fangroup or petition or something to have this changed.

Who's with me?

oistheone

Quote from: TOOGANS on Jun 15, 2015, 12:01 PM

Who's with me?

It's also likely that 95% of this board has completely blown out their hearing from rockin' too close without earplugs.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Crispy

Quote from: oistheone on Jun 15, 2015, 12:09 PM
It's also likely that 95% of this board has completely blown out their hearing from rockin' too close without earplugs.

Sorry, I didn't catch that, what?

I can attest that Tom sounds just great in the mix up front and center, I love following his bass lines.  :smiley: 
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Colfax

Quote from: TOOGANS on Jun 15, 2015, 12:01 PM

Who's with me?

This isn't a call-out thread to the guys running sound. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

I just want more Tom.

Rex

Who's with me?

Based on what?  A particular show?  A webcast?  Armchair critique is pretty useless without knowing where and when you perceived this? 

Personally I think the shows this year sound better than ever.  Might have something to do with MMJ finally carrying their own PA system.

ericm

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 15, 2015, 12:40 PM

I can attest that Tom sounds just great in the mix up front and center, I love following his bass lines.  :smiley:

I'll 2nd that. Even slightly stage left, Tom sounded great in the mix to me. In fact I thought he sounded better than ever in the mix. I had no trouble hearing him loud, and clear.  :cool:
"Where's Jim going?"

CHIMMJFAN

Yeah I thought Tom sounded great close to the stage, and damn his facial expressions during shows crack me up!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

Colfax

TOOGANS

You are obviously in the minority  :wink:

adam_pliskow

For what its worth, I felt base lines in my chest at Governors Ball.

millerjustin

dude - your wish already came true.  Tom and Bo are way higher in the mix on Waterfall (with Bo taking a whole new central role in the band's music with Vox everywhere)

Get ahold of the KCRW recording from LA and listen close - Tom's thunder is evident in Believe, Compound, Tropics, and Only Memories

#teamtommy
What's in here won't disappear

Mr. White

It may be my many, many years of concert going (with resultant hearing loss), but for all three shows at the Chicago Theatre, I felt the volume wasn't quite loud enough...in the beginning. As the show(s) progressed, it seemed as though the volume grew slightly louder and then even louder...with Tom's bass booming through even more during the last few songs (encore(s) for sure). By the end of the show, I felt satisfied that Tommy was providing me with that certain Sonic Boom I desire at MMJ shows.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

adam_pliskow