Main Menu

Alabama Shakes

Started by BigHerm, Feb 10, 2015, 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

This Feeling might be may favorite song on the album,  but then I listen to the next song,  then the next song; and dang it,  if I don't love the entire album.

rincon2

My son went to Coachella last week with a group of 20 21 year olds. They had heard of the Shakes but had no clue what the were about. They made it a priority to see them, and my son says everyone minds were blown. These kids are not the typical target audience, they are Brand New and Alkaline Trio fans. So, I guess they made a shit ton of new fans this past month.

e_wind

At certain points of my life (mainly my early teens) Brand New and Alkaline Trio have been my favorite bands. Brand New's first three albums, and everything Alkaline Trio up to Crimson are great records if you like pop-punk-ish stuff
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Come Closer

I want to like this album more than I do. A few of the songs are great, but it bores me as a whole.

rincon2

Quote from: Osistheones on Apr 25, 2015, 11:29 PM
I want to like this album more than I do. A few of the songs are great, but it bores me as a whole.
This reminds me of some of the truly classic bands. Try listening to a whole Cream album without getting bored.Same with Janis, The Airplane, and many others. We only seem to remember the best of what they did, and forget at least half was not classic stuff.

oistheone

Am I reading this right?!?! Brittany is universally adored (rightfully so), but some of y'all don't dig the band?! The Shakes are lethal! Sure, they don't hop all over the stage, but if they did, they'd look like a ragtag band of amateurs. Leave the animated actions to the frontwoman, and the rest of the guys can stick to playing flawlessly behind her any day! Heath is a woefully underrated guitar wizard, by the way.

Fully, I'm right with you. "This Feeling" is one of the best songs on the album, and one of the best I've heard in a long time. The performance is perfect, but the recording is equally impressive. Sounds SO DAMN GOOD on this clear vinyl edition.

The more I listen to the album, the more it grows on me as a whole. At first, I was all about "Gimme All Your Love" and "Future People", kinda diggin' but mostly lukewarm about the rest. After about a week in the rotation, I'm finding it flawless from start to finish. "Dunes", "Miss You", "Guess Who", "Shoegaze, hell, even "The Greatest" -- lovin' it all!

BH

Shakes and FJM tonight!   My first time seeing the Shakes and third FJM.    Can't wait for Shakes and I thought FJM sounded amazing with the bigger sound on Hangout stream.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

dookie shoot bandit

The Shakes fucking killed it last night at Gentleman of the Road!!!!