Main Menu

Failure

Started by buymycar, Jul 01, 2015, 02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buymycar

I have to admit that I had no idea of Failure's existence until a couple of years ago, when plenty of websites started reporting on their reunion. I also have to admit that I had no clue that A Perfect Circle's The Nurse Who Loved Me was a Failure cover. I might have discovered such a fantastic band earlier had I known. I saw Failure open for Tool in March of 2014. To prepare, I checked out Fantastic Planet (the album) on YouTube, and I was amazed at how such an amazing album flew under the radar when it came out in 1996.

I was at the record store last month, and I checked the miscellaneous "F" section in case they had any Failure (knowing that their albums were out of print) and I was so hyped up when I found a used copy of Fantastic Planet on CD for only $3.95. I've been absorbing it as much as possible over the past month, and I can only describe it as "ear candy".

Their new album, The Heart Is A Monster, dropped yesterday. I streamed it a couple of times before it came out and I found that they picked up exactly where they left off. I bought it last night on HDtracks in glorious Hi-Res 96kHz/24bit, and I've listened to it twice so far. These guys are absolute album craftsmen, and the new album is just as good as Fantastic Planet. It may actually be better.

Just as a side note, one of the instrumental segues on The Heart Is A Monster sounds kinda like Thin Line from The Waterfall.

Ob1jacobe

I discovered them several years back when one of my friends listed "Fantastic Planet" as his favorite album on some pitchfork deal.  They are an amazing band.  Ken Andrews, the lead singer/guitarist) is also a producer and has worked with Nine Inch Nails, Beck, Chris Cornell, and more.

New album is great and picks up nicely.  If you like space rock with kind of 90's garage/grunge influence I would check out "Fantastic Planet".  It is, well, ... FANTASTIC!

APR

I just heard about this band because they are playing with Hum this summer.  Based on these reviews, I'll give them a good listen before seeing them in DC.

I can't believe APC covered them.  That is cool.