Main Menu

m. ward

Started by Ob1jacobe, Mar 19, 2014, 02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ob1jacobe

For some reason I have never gotten into him even though he falls right in with my musical taste.  What album should i start with?

EverythingChanges

My personal favorite is Transfiguration of Vincent, but if you want something with a full band behind him, check out Post War.

Other great ones are Transistor Radio and Hold Time.  His new one is hit or miss, but it has some great tunes on it too.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Fully

All three of those albums you mention are lush and hypnotizing, Everything. I think I'd rank them the same way too. My first brush with his work came from a Starbucks Sweetheart CD where he covered David Bowie's Let's Dance and swept me off my feet. Then I heard Fuel for Fire and after that I was lost in love over his music. I prefer his solo work to what he does with She & Him. But I would love to hear a second Monsters of Folk album (obviously)

walterfredo

montgomery ward!

Angelo

Lost in love is a great description, Beth. I was there too at upon my discovery of Post-War. I furiously absorbed his catalog pre-Post-War and it's all great. His last two haven't hit me like PW, though, which is a bummer.

An anecdote on my M. Ward obsession back then - my ex got pissed at me because she said I would "obsess" over music at a time when I was absorbing M. Ward. She was actually angry! Where's the emoticon for "nut job?"

Fully

You obviously married the right woman then.

Angelo

EverythingChanges

A sip
A sip
A sip or a spoonful won't do
No, I want it all

Fully

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 20, 2014, 09:28 AM
A sip
A sip
No, I want it all
That's my favorite song from Post War. One time I became so obsessed with it that I listened to it on repeat for three hours on two separate occasions. I get that way about a song at times.

walterfredo

Our first dance at our wedding...

Everything I've learned I have forgotten
Everything I've forgotten looks just like new
I pulled the ends out for the tie that binds
To keep my promise with you

With my eyes on the prize
And my mind on you
I put my pride on the line
My whole life too

Now anything you ask me for is yours
Now say the word and I'll lay it at your feet
I'll meet the pavements down the line somehow
If you keep your promise with me

And my mind on you
And my whole life too

You say, take your axe and fashion me a kind of swing
Walkin' blues have played a number on my feet
I'll dance whatever dance you need to dance
'Cause you keep you promise with me

You'll keep your promise with me
You'll keep your promise
You'll keep your promise

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Fully on Mar 20, 2014, 11:16 AM

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 20, 2014, 09:28 AM
A sip
A sip
No, I want it all
That's my favorite song from Post War. One time I became so obsessed with it that I listened to it on repeat for three hours on two separate occasions. I get that way about a song at times.

I shared a similar obsession with it.

Fully

Quote from: walterfredo on Mar 20, 2014, 12:24 PM
Our first dance at our wedding...

Everything I've learned I have forgotten
Everything I've forgotten looks just like new
I pulled the ends out for the tie that binds
To keep my promise with you

And my mind on you
My whole life too

Now anything you ask me for is yours
Now say the word and I'll lay it at your feet
I'll meet the pavements down the line somehow
If you keep your promise with me

And my mind on you
And my whole life too

You say, take your axe and fashion me a kind of swing
Walkin' blues have played a number on my feet
I'll dance whatever dance you need to dance
'Cause you keep you promise with me

You'll keep your promise
You'll keep your promise

That's a great first dance song!

Ob1jacobe

Thanks everyone.  I am loving post-war.  I really don't know how I have never given him the time.  i love Monsters of Folk and always meant to come to him. 

Finding new music to love is so much fun!  Having good people willing to help is great too  :thumbsup:

oistheone

The first time I saw M. Ward live was with Monsters of Folk. The concert gods somehow rewarded me with a last-minute front row ticket, and to say it changed my life would be an understatement. (Also the first time I saw Jim live) Anyway, during M. Ward's solo portion, it was one of those rare moments where you are trapped in a stunned silence, completely awestruck at someone's talent. After "Chinese Translation", I turned to the guy next to me and said "holy shit, that was fucking amazing", and M looked up and said "thanks" as he smirked. Intimate venue indeed.

To this day, M is still the best guitar player I've ever seen live. Complete virtuoso control without being flashy. Also one of the few people who left me absolutely speechless when I had the chance to meet him. He's a talent from another planet.

Anyway, Post-War kicks ass. Flawless album from start to finish. Love giving it a spin after a bottle of wine. Actually, I could say that about the entire M. Ward discography.

crooney

hey folks, just picked up the 180g vinyl of Transitor Radio....vinyl sounds fantastic, and as an added bonus, it comes with a four song cd that includes the so so sweet m ward and jim duet on kris kristofferson's 'just the other side of nowhere' and a few other very very nice recordings. highly highly recommended.....order from the merge records site, great service!!!

ffghtrs

i haven't had the chance to see M Ward but after a show in Portland they were playing Post War as we walked out and I was singing all the words and they people were like who is this and who do you know this and i was like WTF MAN!!!! how are you at a show in Portland and not know who M. Ward is....fucking maroons.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

walterfredo

Did M Ward retire or what?  where the hell has he been?

Murph

Quote from: walterfredo on Jul 14, 2015, 02:20 PM
Did M Ward retire or what?  where the hell has he been?

She and Him released an album last year and I think I read he played on a track or two on Brian Wilson's album that came out this year... I for one think it's time to dump Zooey and get back to the M. Ward thing

Angelo

I read that Tucker Martine is mixing a new M. Ward album. I don't know if it is solo, more S&H, or something entirely different. Hopefully it is 1 or 3. Anything but 2 at this point.

BH

If you haven't seen this sit back with 1 or 4 glasses of wine and the lights down low.   He did this around the time of the Transistor Radio re-issue.   It's awesome seeing him stripped down like this.

http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/morning-becomes-eclectic/m-ward-2014-12-03
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.