steam > memories > engine

Started by charliesmouth, Aug 29, 2015, 07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliesmouth

opinions? will the sequence continue?

jcc0065

was thinking about starting this same thread, i actually love it. its a way to keep the beauty of steam engine alive while changing it just a little bit. memories has grown on me too, a nice little slow jam

rincon2

Steam was broken up at the best part. Memories was a Clif Note version. Great idea, bad execution. Being 30 feet from Jim at the time, it was almost like a punch in the gut when "Take Your Money and Your Drugs" was supplanted by Memories. It hung in the air for a few seconds in mass confusion. At least that is what I remember. I don't mind it on the video or audio. It was just being there right in from of Jim where I thought it was a poor choice.

Fully

I think it works best as a surprise. If it becomes a regular thing,  it isn't as cool. The second time I heard it,  I was already thinking that it was losing its mind blowing effect. Of course,  for people who haven't heard it,  it would still be cool.

RobRoy286

Steam/Memories/Steam/Phone is maybe my favorite live piece I've heard from this band, or any other.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: rincon2 on Aug 30, 2015, 04:56 AM
Steam was broken up at the best part. Memories was a Clif Note version. Great idea, bad execution. Being 30 feet from Jim at the time, it was almost like a punch in the gut when "Take Your Money and Your Drugs" was supplanted by Memories. It hung in the air for a few seconds in mass confusion. At least that is what I remember. I don't mind it on the video or audio. It was just being there right in from of Jim where I thought it was a poor choice.

Agree 100%

And in my opinion it works better when your waiting for it instead of the surprise so there is no disappointment when your anticipating the climax of the song.

ericm

I stand firmly in the  "didn't like it" camp.  It felt like they neutered Steam Engine to me. Sure, it could still finish the race but they cut it's balls off right when it was gonna get off.

I love the idea of them trying these things, and  thought the Dondante>Lay Low jam was great,  but messing with the Masterpiece that is Steam Engine should never be done again,IMO.

I've seen some great segues into and out of Steam but stopping it at it's apex, going into anything then back just didn't work at all for me.  I'd much rather them segue into or out of it similar to the Dondante> Lay Low jam.
"Where's Jim going?"

gardenparty

it certainly took the wind out of the sails a bit at Red Rocks.  I love Memories but we were in the midst of an excellent Steam. 
I appreciate the experimentation and its a cool idea but Steam is Steam. 

I did love the transition from Steam Engine to Phone.   The Phone Went from RR was fantastic

sillyboob

I agree with ericm about not messing with Steam Engine.  It's too good on it's own to break it up.

Also didn't like the shortened version of Only Memories Remain.  Missed out on some good guitar work at the end there.

And I also agree with gardenparty - Steam Engine --> Phone Went West was epic at Red Rocks.

But I did think the Cobra --> I Can't Go For That  Hall & Oates cover --> back into Cobra worked pretty well at One Big Holiday this year.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

parkervb

Quote from: sillyboob on Aug 31, 2015, 02:06 PM
I agree with ericm about not messing with Steam Engine.  It's too good on it's own to break it up.

Also didn't like the shortened version of Only Memories Remain.  Missed out on some good guitar work at the end there.

And I also agree with gardenparty - Steam Engine --> Phone Went West was epic at Red Rocks.

But I did think the Cobra --> I Can't Go For That  Hall & Oates cover --> back into Cobra worked pretty well at One Big Holiday this year.

The point on the guitar work on OMR is spot on. The KCRW version was really great

https://youtu.be/dVV4dHgExVA?t=49m17s
Don't you ever turn it off

Lonndown27

they should've just played Only Memories Remain then segued into Steam Engine then segued into Phone....simple as that...give Memories 10 minutes or even 12 then give Steam Engine 13 and Phone 11....they ALL deserve that long
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

parkervb

seriously, i'm in love with that OMR. 
Don't you ever turn it off

dondante24

Nope. Like many other have said, I appreciate the creativity but this was the musical equivalent of blue balls.

gardenparty

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Sep 01, 2015, 02:30 PM
they should've just played Only Memories Remain then segued into Steam Engine then segued into Phone....simple as that...give Memories 10 minutes or even 12 then give Steam Engine 13 and Phone 11....they ALL deserve that long
I would have loved this. 
Its true as others have said that the OMR didn't really get to breathe either.  Right when I was ready for those guitars to pick up they went back to Steam.  two wtf moments. haha

Lonndown27

Quote from: gardenparty on Sep 01, 2015, 05:17 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Sep 01, 2015, 02:30 PM
I would have loved this. 
Its true as others have said that the OMR didn't really get to breathe either.  Right when I was ready for those guitars to pick up they went back to Steam.  two wtf moments. haha

EXACTLY!  The WTF factor was all too interesting though it was a funny moment but if it had been MY FIRST Steam? Oooooooo id have been a little irked...that song needs to flow as ONE. Most of theirs do except for a few where just a section can be played and its OK like Lay Low or Run Thru
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

jcc0065

i seriously still liked it. i totally understand that masterpieces dont need to be messed with, but imagine if you were them? they gotta get tired of playing the same songs over and over and over. gotta switch it up every now just a little without going away from the song too much. keeps it new and exciting