Jim's change over the years

Started by jcc0065, Sep 17, 2015, 08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameron

Quote from: millerjustin on Sep 21, 2015, 03:25 PM
safe to say that everything is back to OK in the sandbox, people?

Based on everything said above and my own observations, I agree that Jim is sticking closer to his padded square on the stage - and for very good reason.  He had back surgery a year ago and it still hurts!  I'm speaking from experience with back pain and also from first-hand experience watching him this year (OBH2, Waterfall in L'ville, Boston, Forecastle, Artpark and Red Rocks).

I have my own theories about the new jacket (flowing to hide the brace under his vest) and the glasses (he's laser focused on new lyrics and arrangements).  He's a fucking professional, people. 

And not for nothing, I was front row under Jim at OBH, Headliners and Red Rocks and he not only smiled a ton at his band mates, he also threw a few my way while he was playing.  (this may be partly because I was rocking out with Erica Moore, but that's another story for another day).

and the biggest point I'd like to make - and hopefully without insulting our new friend - is that Red Rocks was a Coda moment for the band and they knew it.  They had the most preeminent concert photographer in the world in Danny Clinch capturing every sound and move - with the backdrop of the show becoming the next Okonokos (and timestamp for Jacket 3.0).  This being said, Jim was obviously not tripping balls - just a tight back and biggest show of the year.

Move on people!  I GET 11 MORE SHOWS IN THE NEXT 9 WEEKS!!!!

stop being reasonable!  it's obvious jim has fried his mind with lsd!

in the 10 years i've been posting here this is easily the worst thread i've come across.

buster douglas

Has nobody considered the fact that maybe Jim just wants to up his "mystique" factor for this tour?  The sunglasses, the cooler demeanor on stage, the lessening of audience chatting... I think he just wants to let the music do the talking on this tour.

But also, I have no idea, neither do any of you, so who gives a shit.  The shows have all been amazing.

jcc0065

Quote from: buster douglas on Sep 25, 2015, 01:19 PM
Has nobody considered the fact that maybe Jim just wants to up his "mystique" factor for this tour?  The sunglasses, the cooler demeanor on stage, the lessening of audience chatting... I think he just wants to let the music do the talking on this tour.

But also, I have no idea, neither do any of you, so who gives a shit.  The shows have all been amazing.
exactly. who gives a shit

parkervb

Quote from: jcc0065 on Sep 26, 2015, 12:21 AM

what a perfect and Circuital ending. (yes I went there)
Don't you ever turn it off

Lonndown27

Quote from: parkervb on Sep 28, 2015, 03:43 PM
Quote from: jcc0065 on Sep 26, 2015, 12:21 AM

what a perfect and Circuital ending. (yes I went there)

HAHAHAHAH
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

MACKEL

To anyone complaining about Jim changing, please reference 13:28 - 14:00 in this video:

everything changes....... everything changes........ everything changes.......

Jim's gonna do what Jim wants to do... we are all lucky enough to sit back and enjoy the ride!
Been lookin back, down through the ages; First I was an ancient, then I was an infant, now I'm ALIVE

ruralt

I imagine if Jim ended up having to get surgery for his back then he's probably doing everything he can to make sure he doesn't make it worse - he seems a bit health conscious anyway. I have two herniated discs and even with it not being bad enough to require surgery it gives me hell a LOT. Just standing up near the front in Austin for a couple of hours had my back hurting like hell for the rest of the night. A guy I worked with had to have surgery for his and it still didn't fix it completely, so I can't imagine what Jim has to put up with. And it won't get better as he gets older. I doubt a doctor would recommend an extensive tour after back surgery, even if he had some time to recover beforehand.

I think it's a combination of his back and the mystique thing as previously mentioned. I'd hazard a guess he was told to take it easy, no going crazy on stage like before, so you might as well make the most of it and work it to your benefit somehow.

Mr. White

Quote from: ruralt on Oct 28, 2015, 07:11 PM
I imagine if Jim ended up having to get surgery for his back then he's probably doing everything he can to make sure he doesn't make it worse - he seems a bit health conscious anyway. I have two herniated discs and even with it not being bad enough to require surgery it gives me hell a LOT. Just standing up near the front in Austin for a couple of hours had my back hurting like hell for the rest of the night. A guy I worked with had to have surgery for his and it still didn't fix it completely, so I can't imagine what Jim has to put up with. And it won't get better as he gets older. I doubt a doctor would recommend an extensive tour after back surgery, even if he had some time to recover beforehand.

I think it's a combination of his back and the mystique thing as previously mentioned. I'd hazard a guess he was told to take it easy, no going crazy on stage like before, so you might as well make the most of it and work it to your benefit somehow.

No going crazy on stage like this from April 2013.

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

wcazcooper95

As far as Jim changing over the years, I think we can all agree that he has become less mobile. Looking at videos as far back as 2003 Jim can be seen rocking and jamming his face off, which IN MY OPINION made Jacket's stage presence a little better than it is today. This behavior was even apparent up until he did his solo album. I know he has had back problems and he is also getting older, but his stage presence has changed over the years. Not to say I don't like the new mystical Jim, pretty cool idea if you ask me, but I hope some day we can see Jim like he used to be.

Now getting to the biggest opinion based part of this thread, Jim's drug use. In interviews Jim has mentioned smoking joints several time, so we know that is around. Now as far as acid and hallucinogens no one will ever really know what he has done unless he comes out and says so. Having previously watched all of Jacket's performances at Red Rocks I could find it is apparent that place has some sort of effect on the band as a whole, those shows seem to always be incredible. Now whether it is just the forces that converge at that one special place, or some substance, we will never know, but the shows at Red Rocks always make to seem the band have a different type of aura about them.

.Walt

I look for what's new since the last time. There was a lot of ET one finger touches with the crowd, that was interesting.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

kholl44

Quote from: wcazcooper95 on Nov 06, 2015, 03:42 PM
As far as Jim changing over the years, I think we can all agree that he has become less mobile. Looking at videos as far back as 2003 Jim can be seen rocking and jamming his face off, which IN MY OPINION made Jacket's stage presence a little better than it is today. This behavior was even apparent up until he did his solo album. I know he has had back problems and he is also getting older, but his stage presence has changed over the years. Not to say I don't like the new mystical Jim, pretty cool idea if you ask me, but I hope some day we can see Jim like he used to be.

Now getting to the biggest opinion based part of this thread, Jim's drug use. In interviews Jim has mentioned smoking joints several time, so we know that is around. Now as far as acid and hallucinogens no one will ever really know what he has done unless he comes out and says so. Having previously watched all of Jacket's performances at Red Rocks I could find it is apparent that place has some sort of effect on the band as a whole, those shows seem to always be incredible. Now whether it is just the forces that converge at that one special place, or some substance, we will never know, but the shows at Red Rocks always make to seem the band have a different type of aura about them.
He has said before that drugs have been a part of their process (but not that they necessarily still are), and has told several stories about acid trips in his younger days... I wouldn't be surprised if some songs like "I Think I'm Going To Hell" were directly inspired by a trip.
Perhaps we will never know what substances, if any, their pre-show routine might include, but in my opinion they take their jobs very seriously and wouldn't risk getting too fucked up just to get on some other level... They can do that sober.
When I saw them at Bonnaroo this year I was 100% not sober, and was amazed- best feeling ever! But I was so convinced that they're magic without drugs that I went to see them again at Forecastle, this time 100% sober. Comparing the 2 shows, there was no doubt in my mind that MMJ sober was still a better high than any drug I've tried.
I'd like to think Jim and the boys feel the same way about playing together.

As for Jim liking weed... I was lucky enough to share a joint with him once upon a time so I can vouch for that :)
He also prefers tequila over bourbon... go figure
I'm in love with this soul; it's a meaning that I understand

buymycar

Why is this thread still open?