Victory Dance vs. State of the Art vs. Spring

Started by RobRoy286, Oct 15, 2015, 12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobRoy286

I think most of us can agree that these songs all share a similar sound - that steady hypnotic crescendo shit, you know. Now we've heard live Jacket versions of all three. How would you rank them?

1. Victory Dance
2. State of the Art
3. Spring

For me. And I love Spring.

gardenparty

1. Spring
2. Victory Dance
3. State of the Art

all very enjoyable but Spring live is probably my favorite off the new album

adam_pliskow

On the surface
Spring
Victory Dance
State of the Art

for THIS tour
Victory Dance (has been amazing across the board)
Spring
State of the Art

tippitoes22

1)vic dance

2)Victory Dance

3)VICTORY DANCE!!! SETTING SUN :thumbsup:!!!

GO TEAM CARL!!!

I do not put the 3 songs in this thread in the same category. I don't think the band does either IMO, Based on the way they play/use those songs these days. V.Dance is Carl's chance to scream like a FUCKIN BANSHEE and for Bo and Tom to Drop bass bombs like they're tryin to start an avalanche of sound!!!

3)Spring- eh... Pretty decent song

2)State of the Art- intricate, Jim doin completely dif thing, Yim tryin to do a very Radiohead'ish sorta thing, digital MMJ, very cool, pushin envelope, new sound

3)VICTORY DANCE- powerful, big sound!, great opener/song, let lose  the banshee Wail, MASSIVE, bass bombs, hair standing up, GOD DAMN!!!

The only thing these songs have in common is that they've been used as an opener.

Again, Just one guys opinion
:thumbsup:

((Just so everybody doesn't think I'm a lunatic(I am)).

Seen in person
-Victory Dance 20ish
-spring - 8-10
-State of art 4 times (jim solo tour)
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

WickedMessenger

Well I haven't seen as many as tippitoes, but starting a show with the booming bass and keyboards of Victory Dance is awesome.  We saw State of the Art in Vegas last week and Carl's guitar had a really heavy/chunky sound.  I like Spring but it seems like it's made for the band to improvise on. Haven't heard them do that yet. 

Lonndown27

Yeah guys I feel Victory Dance and State of the Art are very close but Spring doesn't belong with nearly every other Jacket song except Tropics but I understand why you're brain's grouping them together and I like that.

For me almost nothing delivers live like Victory Dance every time every time. ..Its so massive and will ALWAYS be a classic and comparing the 2012 version i saw to the 2015 version I just barely saw I would have to say they're playing it like a fucking machine right now and a machine with soul its so powerful.  Spring is something that should go on and on for 15 minutes Ive noticed a few places where improv could take place
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

tippitoes22

Agree they could improvise Spring. But comparing Spring(eh), state of the art (yeh)and VICTORY DANCE(FUCK YEAH), is like comparing apples, oranges, and hand grenades.

Victory Dance is a fuckin Monster, with a Banshee like Wail from Carl w/an octave that even Jim can't hit. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't belong in the same category as the other songs
It's a juggernaut that once unleashed cannot be stopped. IMENSE keyboard bass, bass bombs,
Unbelievable shredding to the point I can't believe the strings don't vaporize.
So yeh, big fan of when Carl gets let of the leash and just destroys and leaves you standing there with goosebumps.

GO TEAM CARL!!!

Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

Shug

Ha ha ha, I like the way you put that, tippy!   Agree with everyone that Victory Dance on this tour is better than it ever has been, they are taking it to new heights of dirty heavy jamming.  How can they fucking get better and better?!?!  Gotta see as many shows as I can, gotta ride the Jacket train while its still smoking down the tracks!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

ruralt

State of the Art
Spring
Victory Dance

But that's like ranking cherry cheesecake, strawberry cheesecake, and regular cheesecake. They're all awesome no matter what.

mattyice

1) State of the Art
2) Victory Dance
3) Spring

Stevie

I saw them do an extended jam on Victory Dance once.... i think it was either Minnesota or Chicago during the 2013 Dylan tour.  I haven't really been paying attention to the song lately so maybe it's commonplace now but Carl had a sax, was wailing on it mercilessly, and they just kept crunching that guitar Sabbath style for quite some time before finally letting up.  It was the best VD i have ever had ;)