JJ on M.Ward's new album

Started by salparadise, Dec 18, 2004, 07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal Paradise

"Members of My Morning Jacket, Rilo Kiley, Giant Sand and the Decemberists are among the guests on singer/songwriter M. Ward's fourth album, "Transistor Radio." Due in late February via Merge, the 16-track set features a blend of originals and covers, including Bach's "The Well-Tempered Clavier" and the Beach Boys' "You Still Believe in Me."

My Morning Jacket's Jim James sings and plays guitar on "One Life Away" and "Fuel for Fire," while Rilo Kiley's Jenny Lewis and Vic Chesnutt sing on "Big Boat," which sports drumming by the Decemberists' Rachel Blumberg. Giant Sand's Howe Gelb and PJ Harvey collaborator John Parish appear on "Four Hours on Washington" and a cover of the Carter Family's "Oh Take Me Back."

The lone date on Ward's schedule is a Tuesday (Dec. 21) show at San Francisco's Cafe Du Nord with X's John Doe."

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000739661

The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

sweatboard

I'm really excited about this album, probably my most anticipated behind a new MMJ and a new PJ release in 2005.  I've been listening to Transfiguration a whole bunch lately and it is one of the best albums I own.
There's Still Time.........

MMJ_fanatic

any idea on the m ward release date?  whoa!  he's doing a gig with John Doe?!?  interesting....
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Sal Paradise

Quoteany idea on the m ward release date?  whoa!  he's doing a gig with John Doe?!?  interesting....

From aversion.com:

M. Ward's next album will feature covers of songs written by Bach and The Beach Boys.

The singer/songwriter makes his Merge Records debut, Transistor Radio, in February. Among collaborations with My Morning Jacket's Jim James, the album features a version of The Beach Boys' "You Still Believe in Me," Bach's "The Well-Tempered Clavier" and the Carter Family's "Oh Take Me Back."

The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

MMJ_fanatic

Bach and The Beach Boys!?!  that should make for an interesting mix!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Mike Walsh

This is great news, indeed! My girlfriend and I caught two of the shows last winter where Jim and M. Ward played with Bright Eyes. These were totally awesome shows, just incredible. They played separate sets and then played with each other. M. Ward's voice complemented Jim's extremely well, so it's rad that they have recorded together. I also go on ebay occasionally to see if there are any bootlegs floating around out there of these shows. Jim played a new song that was amazingly good (along with all the old faves). I don't know the name of it but I hope that it makes an apprearance on the new MMJ record.

Oz

QuoteBach and The Beach Boys!?!  that should make for an interesting mix!

Aren't Brian Wilson and Bach the same person, then?  ???
I'm ready when you are