One and done jams

Started by MOWJO8185, Jun 30, 2016, 11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOWJO8185

This is a thread for posting unique versions of songs that some of us may have overlooked because they were never performed that way again. I'm calling them one-and-done jams because they represent a live version that, for whatever reason, never stuck with the song as a regular occurrence.

I'll Start:

You Wanna Freak Out - https://archive.org/details/MyMorningJacket2012-06-20

So good. Wish they still played this song frequently, and this version of it in particular.

Of course there's Outta my system from Port Chester N1 as well - no link as I only have my official copy, but can be purchased here: http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music/0,8832/My-Morning-Jacket-mp3-flac-download-12-27-2012-Capitol-Theatre-Port-Chester-NY.html (have to buy both the song and the jam)

millerjustin

Evelyn>Funky Improv Jam at Port Chester was nice too

Anyone else also notice the alt versions of Bermuda Highway and At Dawn at Red Rocks 8/14/15?

The BH with both Carl and Jim was really nice - and intentional as far as I could tell - I think the electric At Dawn may have been a function of guitar tech issues tho (Jim getting one of his Gibson ES 330s instead of his acoustic).  Either way, it was stronger and longer and absolutely great

What's in here won't disappear

Lucius

At Dawn was done electric at London last year too if I remember rightly. Led straight into In Its Infancy, was a great touch.

It sucks that there's always such strict curfews in the UK, I'd love to see MMJ jam!!
it wouldn't be a party without you

MOWJO8185

millerjustin

and oh sweet jeebuz that Picture of You at Red Rocks this year.  straight up raging
What's in here won't disappear

sillyboob

Quote from: millerjustin on Jun 30, 2016, 12:14 PM
Evelyn>Funky Improv Jam at Port Chester was nice too

Anyone else also notice the alt versions of Bermuda Highway and At Dawn at Red Rocks 8/14/15?

The BH with both Carl and Jim was really nice - and intentional as far as I could tell - I think the electric At Dawn may have been a function of guitar tech issues tho (Jim getting one of his Gibson ES 330s instead of his acoustic).  Either way, it was stronger and longer and absolutely great

The 2015 Red Rocks version of Bermuda Highway, with the steel guitar additions, is soooo good!  I remember them playing it and noticing that there was more than acoustic guitar and just digging it at the time.  Love that show (first time at Red Rocks!) and I'm really glad it was released by the band.  I wonder if this year's Red Rocks run will get released?
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

gardenparty

Brooklyn Bowl - Las Vegas 10-9-15

A 7 minute "They Ran" with big outro leads.   That was the first time I'd heard that

Also, the 'Where to Begin" had a minute or two extended outro

https://archive.org/details/mmj2015-10-09.m1280.flac16

johnnYYac

"Eminence Front" intro > One Big Holiday opener for the first couple of shows of the Spring 2010 tour.

Tour opener @ Alabama Theatre, Birmingham, AL, April 20, 2010

https://archive.org/details/mmj2010-04-20.mk4v.flac24

2nd stop @ Municipal Auditorium, Nashville, TN, April 21, 2010

https://archive.org/details/mmj2010-04-21.mk4v-mk41.flac16

My 2nd and 3rd MMJ shows...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Mr. White

https://archive.org/details/MMJ2006-06-16..4011s

"Dondante" from Bonnaroo 2006
Has anyone ever noticed that the intro to "Dondante" has "Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am" mixed in? It is easy to pick out from about :55 to 1:50 or thereabouts. It kicks in again for a bit around 3:00 or so. I had downloaded this before and listened to it several times but probably not since "Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am" had come out back in 2013. Now that I've become so familiar with that song, it was easy to pick out. It's so very odd that this version of "Dondante" was performed 8 years before they released their version of "Trouble Sleep..."

Edit: This may have been covered in either the "Trouble Sleep..." thread or the Bonnaroo 2006 thread. I never looked back but don't remember it being discussed.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

parkervb

I don't know if this qualifies but was listening to NYE 2006 and they got a lil weird with it during the 2nd half of Run Thru. They should get weird with it more often.

http://www.panicstream.net/vault/my-morning-jacket-12312006-san-francisco-ca/
Don't you ever turn it off

easy way

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 30, 2016, 10:24 PM
https://archive.org/details/MMJ2006-06-16..4011s

"Dondante" from Bonnaroo 2006
Has anyone ever noticed that the intro to "Dondante" has "Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am" mixed in? It is easy to pick out from about :55 to 1:50 or thereabouts. It kicks in again for a bit around 3:00 or so. I had downloaded this before and listened to it several times but probably not since "Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am" had come out back in 2013. Now that I've become so familiar with that song, it was easy to pick out. It's so very odd that this version of "Dondante" was performed 8 years before they released their version of "Trouble Sleep..."

Edit: This may have been covered in either the "Trouble Sleep..." thread or the Bonnaroo 2006 thread. I never looked back but don't remember it being discussed.

They played the 'Fela Kuti' version a handful of times during the Z era. I feel that the most notable has to be High Sierra late night (6/30/2006). There's an excellent recording of that show as well...
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

oistheone

The intro jam on "Thank You Too" from the Port Chester run is one of my favorites. Have never heard that arrangement again.

Also, I can't find it anywhere, but I swear I've heard a version of OBH where they brought back that rockout part after the thump-thump outro.

LB

I would say Off The Record and Smokin at Port Chester gets a vote from me
no you never gotta fight with me

Stevie

Quote from: oistheone on Jul 01, 2016, 02:30 PM
The intro jam on "Thank You Too" from the Port Chester run is one of my favorites. Have never heard that arrangement again.

Also, I can't find it anywhere, but I swear I've heard a version of OBH where they brought back that rockout part after the thump-thump outro.

Love thus thread.  These moments are the reason i go. 

Regarding Thank You Too, i dont think they did the intro jam at port chester i think that was at the wiltern.  Loved it and was hoping for it at port chester but im pretty sure they played it standard. 

DayDrinkin

The jam leading into the first time they ever played "Only Memories Remain" at OBH2. It needs to be resurrected at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevie

Thats not going to happen.  They were debuting a new song to the world and decided to do something special for the occasion.  Thats what they came up with.  It was definitely sweet but it will never happen again in that same way.  If you stay tuned they will most likely do something new and fresh.   Dont get caught up just look forward like they do. 

Lonndown27

Quote from: Stevie on Jul 05, 2016, 12:10 AM
Thats not going to happen.  They were debuting a new song to the world and decided to do something special for the occasion.  Thats what they came up with.  It was definitely sweet but it will never happen again in that same way.  If you stay tuned they will most likely do something new and fresh.   Dont get caught up just look forward like they do. 

why not look behind? they have left us with so many amazing moments it's impossible to just ignore them all. They must be listened to over and over, shared with others, analyzed and remembered....fucking archived. I think that's the magic of the band, you can look behind, in the present and of course forward to what comes next! These guys play em different every night! I loved that intro to OMR at OBHII, that'd be sick if they broke that out again.

As for my favorite one and done jams its gotta be:

- Lovin Cup / Easy Morning Rebel (Outro Jam) (Bonnaroo 2006 what a show!) . Never played again sadly, but an unbelievable twofer. I'd love to see the Jacket throw a cover in with one of their own songs that mirrors the cover's key or sound and kinda mash them together (like Cobra broken up by I Can't Go For That and Phone Went West broken up by Stir It Up...which could also be one and done jams by themselves too)

- Lay Low (two guitars intro) (Chicago 6/11/2015) i'd never heard them play a Lay Low intro where Jim comes in ALSO playing the intro and they kinda duel and gets really HUGE sounding. So, to me, when I first heard this, I nearly shit myself, it was the intro as I'd always wanted it played.

- Mahgeetah (long ending including this really cool inverted intro jam that kind of builds and builds to an explosive ending) (Oakland 2011)

- Thank You Too!  as someone else above suggested, (reverse intro jam, as I like to call it, where a riff in the middle of the song begins TY2 instead of the usual blue eyed soul / butterfly delay guitar intro of the studio version. this was played at least a few times in 2012, namely at Wiltern and It WAS played at Capitol Theater, just listened to it!

- Cobra from Wiltern 2012, has such a black metal insanity jam in the E chord viciousness section

there's a bunch more, but Ill let you guys get in on this
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

sillyboob

Quote from: DayDrinkin on Jul 04, 2016, 07:22 PM
The jam leading into the first time they ever played "Only Memories Remain" at OBH2. It needs to be resurrected at some point.

100% yes to this!!  That jam was spacey and psychedelic, and in the warm Mexican night, it was pretty much perfection.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Angelo

The one that will always stand out to me is the crazy Steam Engine jam into the unplanned Funny How Time Slips Away from 5/16/15 in Knoxville. Have they ever played SE like this before?? And that FHTSA...kills me! Here is the archive.org link, don't front on this one! https://archive.org/details/mmj2015-05-16.nt4.fob.flac16