Oregon shows - HEAT!

Started by panic34, Aug 12, 2023, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panic34

Forecast calling for 102 Tuesday for Edgefield show and 98 in Bend on Wednesday! Heat of the day in these parts is typically around 6 pm, and I'm curious how this heat might affect the proceedings, other than by making everyone sweaty. 

Cameron

MMJTX

Haha same! Welcome to Texas.
Anytime

panic34

Yeah, I suppose it's all relative :)

We're just not used to triple digits around here. Bring on all the heat, especially from the band!

walterfredo

I officially bailed on portland. Just can't do that heat.

mdgsolo

Heat is not the only problem for Bend- The AQI right now is 319.  There is so much smoke it is uncomfortable and hazardous to be outside even for short periods.  Unless there is a major wind shift, I cannot imagine having a show tonight.

ranyart

Quote from: mdgsolo on Aug 16, 2023, 10:53 AMHeat is not the only problem for Bend- The AQI right now is 319.  There is so much smoke it is uncomfortable and hazardous to be outside even for short periods.  Unless there is a major wind shift, I cannot imagine having a show tonight.

WOW that is horrible news!  We've been having off and on smoke issues here in the Ohio River Valley too but I don't think we have hit AQI of 319 (although we have had some days in the 200s).  It's bad enough being outside when the air is that smoky but I can't even imaging trying to sing for several hours breathing that crap.  Here's hoping there's a miracle and everything clears up in time...

panic34

And there it is - Bend cancelled due to air quality. I had to bail for family reasons, and certainly am bummed for all who were planning an epic evening. Maybe they'll come back for a 2-nighter sometime.

Edgefield proved yet again that this band just keeps getting better. It's really uncanny - from song arrangements to set lists, they simply are crushing it at every turn. Gorgeous Golden with M Ward to open things and into The Way That He Sings = a lovely, groovy start to the show. Gideon-Going to Hell-Wonderful Man was classic old-school Jacket rock. I find Spring to be one of the more underrated Jacket tunes - they just push that so hard, Bo hammering away and Jim ad-libbing his lyrical trances toward the end. Touch Me II went to places I've never seen that song go; Jim took his omnichord (or whatever it is) on a spacey jam at the beginning that was super trippy fun. Steam Engine was as good as it always is with M Ward adding to the mix. Old Sept Blues was beautiful. Circuital at Edgefield among the trees is just a special thing.

The heat kept the crowd numbers down, but those who showed were so ready for it. It was one of the best concert crowds I've been part of since cell phones became the priority (yeah, I'm old). Not much obnoxious chatter, people locked in and dancing, smiling wide, sweating. It was glorious.

Excited to see what unfolds in Berkeley!

ranyart

Just curious if they canceled and refunded the Bend show outright, or did they play the postpone and keep your money game?

mdgsolo

Quote from: ranyart on Aug 17, 2023, 04:29 PMJust curious if they canceled and refunded the Bend show outright, or did they play the postpone and keep your money game?

The original ticket holder will be refunded.  I really hope they try and reschedule a make up show (or two!) for Bend this fall but I'm not holding my breath..

sillyboob

Quote from: mdgsolo on Aug 18, 2023, 11:02 AM
Quote from: ranyart on Aug 17, 2023, 04:29 PMJust curious if they canceled and refunded the Bend show outright, or did they play the postpone and keep your money game?

The original ticket holder will be refunded.  I really hope they try and reschedule a make up show (or two!) for Bend this fall but I'm not holding my breath..

They may have reason to reschedule two west coast shows, we'll know in two days. 
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

DaydreamNation

Quote from: sillyboob on Aug 18, 2023, 03:57 PM
Quote from: mdgsolo on Aug 18, 2023, 11:02 AM

They may have reason to reschedule two west coast shows, we'll know in two days. 
Yeah I saw all the Sunday baseball games in LA/Anaheim/SD got moved to Sat...not looking good
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16